Mobile gaming thread

Since everyone is so loving of mobile games and suddenly awakened to the fact of how much monetary value they have in todays gaming industry, why not open a thread to discuss mobile games, trends etc.

Also disclaimer, I put thousands of hours into pc games. I like to look at mobile games as something separate from pc gaming, games on pc fill one part of my gaming needs, while mobile games fill another part of my gaming needs. Even though I may play simmilar games to ones like on pc, thats just a matter of personal preference and is subjective.

From the games I currently play I can totally reccomend Tower of Saviors. Many people have been comparing it to another huge game in that genre Puzzles and Dragons, but in last few years the only simmilarity is in core gameplay component and thats about it.

Tower of saviors has advanced beyond the mold and continues to rise in ZH and SEA market, while having a healthy playerbase in EN world servers.

Its technically a card collecting game, which was one of the reasons why I started playing it long ago, 2nd being artwork, which spread over 1300 existing cards is totally awesome.

Its a f2p game with purchasable stuff and if you decide to whale and have everything, you dont have anything to win, only bragging rights, a f2p player can do as much as a paying player in terms that end results should be same. And I say that as a f2p player in this game for last 4 years (I supported the game recently due to that).

And I must say, I played hundreds of games on mobile, and this is up to date in all 8 years I did mobile gaming, the most difficult game I ever played.

I dare say its the poe of mobile games among few others. It is so mechanically rich that it took me months to understand only 50% of things and personal skill decides the outcome.

Developers make updates every 6 weeks and this year uniquely for the first time it had many collabs :

Yuyu hakusho, hunter x hunter, crash fever and konosuba , which attracted many new players too while some of us enjoyed collecting those characters.

Game has huge lore that can be gathered into a little book, each card has some lore attached to it and all card lore is part of greater timeline in that game world over the span of thousands of years. They mostly use mythological characters of all over the world but with big twists setting it into a new world unrelated to this (believe its called high fantasy setting).

Game stages are very nicely done, and before even attempting them people spend time planning strategies together and discussing how to pass certain obstacles.

Gacha system is very fair, f2p players can be able to collect 99% of everything if they plan well and spare the effort. And super rares have rising chances depending on number of draws + guaranteed super rare draw on certain amount of draws and game has few times over the patch double rare rates up.

I played games where Super rare rates were 0.050% so this game having guaranteed super rare on 30-40 draws and 2-4% super rare chance is very forgiving, with rare chance being 7% usually and up to 12-14% on double rate.

If you spend money like in poe, the feeling remains the same, you wont win more than anyone else, you will only have a nicer experience but your skill and planning and knowledge will make the only difference that matters in the end.

If this was a review, I'd say its very superficial, since there is a lot of underlying things and mechanics that I didnt talk about. But I can leave that for discord where I'm appointed a role to help players with any game questions or team building questions.

Its not very known game but for a Hong Kong developer team game, it is very much fair and has high quality standards despite its age and niche target audience.

From other games that I play at the moment I'd mention : Sdorica, Azur lane, Monster warlord, Crash fever, Idle heroes.

From these other games I would only reccomend Sdorica and Azur Lane as another 2 examples of very fair games and having high quality gameplay, Sdorica in one way and Azur lane in other way, but that would require a review of its own.

Crash fever is on the other side a little bit not as good as those 2.

While Idle heroes and MW I wouldnt reccomend to anyone, despite me playing them.

I hope that more people will post some other games or discuss aforementioned games here.

Also one of things that bothers me is that many awesome games that I'd like to try are limited to either Japan or USA but thats another topic for itself too.

What I seek in mobile games?

Variety of characters, sense of achievement while progressing through game and learning it, good engaging mechanics that aren't mindless and require actual excel spreadsheet maniacs to optimize stuff for most optimal builds and strategies.

So you could say that I look after finding a PoE experience among mobile games and it can certainly be found, at least in a mechanical sense.

So people, lets hear your opinions.
Spreading salt since 2006
Last edited by Necromael on Nov 8, 2018, 12:49:17 PM
Last bumped on Jan 12, 2020, 10:19:17 PM
I'm quite tempted to give Sdorica and Fate: GO a try... though I'm still not quite sold on the latter. Charan is SO going to lecture me about that.

As for my own recommendations, there's only really Honkai Impact 3rd. It's one of two games of which I know that regularly sponser anime channels on youtube (which tends to get demonetised quite often these days, which results in the creators having to change the content and... I digress), the other being Azur Lane which Necromael already mentioned. While it does use the generic stamina system pretty much all f2p mobile games use these days, but it is rather generous with options to refill it. The advantage you get by throwing a metric fuckton of money at it isn't all that great though, since it relies quite a bit on actual skill. If have have good equipment, but can't use combos or dodge stuff, then you're gonna have a bad time.
That being said, it gives a lot for free in general and has HUGE updates. One of those hit this week and the patch notes weren't much shorter than the average length of PoE patchnotes. PoE patchnotes for an expansion that is.

As for the playstyle, it's a 3rd person Hack and Slash/Beat em up (the line is really blurry between these two these days). You have a few different characters (all girls because reasons) with a couple different loadouts for each. Each one of those has unique skills, combos, interactions and playstyles (melee, ranged, damage dealer, healer, tanks, etc). There's a pretty good amount of customisation possible, not too complicated, but I don't want to go too into it here, that'd make this post twice as long probably.

There's also always (and I mean ALWAYS) some sort of event going on with special rewards and sometimes completely different gameplay. Then there's co-op, a story mode and some other features I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting right now.

Artstyle is very anime inspired (graphics are pretty amazing actually), for voice acting you have the option between Japanese and Chinese, for the game itself you have the choice between Chinese, English, French and German (before anyone asks, I go with this the same way as with anime, Japanese voice acting with English subtitles, though I play mostly without sound).

It's a ton of fun for me and I can recommend it with little to no hesitation.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
I personally think folks are relatively open to mobile gaming; but it's a sensitive subject when you see a beloved PC based titan go mobile only and now the platform has to be demonized because internet and hyperbole go together like chocolate and peanut butter.....but tastes like milk with lots of paprika.

I figured I would contribute to the thread with a shout out to the first game that truly won me over for gaming on a mobile device....Infinity Blade. I know that's not what this thread is specifically about, but thought it could at least contribute to the overall atmosphere of understanding where mobile gaming fits. Prior to that, I played chess on my phone. Yes, chess.

It opened my eyes to the possibility of how games could adapt to the limited screen space and relatively gross movement of the controls. It was never something that completely took over my free time, but it also brought a significant amount of fun in parts of my day where it was very convenient (waiting at a doctors office, etc.). I think it was the visuals of the game that really pulled me in. The combat itself was fun enough. The story line was limited, but not so bad that it turned me away.

In the spirit of the thread, I'll offer up something that I play with my son sometimes that is amusing. We play War Robots together and it's fun enough. It's always littered with typical P2W, deal of the day, log in daily to do this thing, mobile gimmicks. We skip all that. It's a relatively mindless 3rd person Battle Arena type game with robots where you can level up the robot and weapons. It fills 10-20 minutes and is fun to play with my kid.....but he's young. Take that for what it is worth.
Last edited by Nubatron on Nov 8, 2018, 6:13:11 PM
Dungeon Quest is a pretty cool ARPG mobile game. Has a great crafting/loot system for uniques and rares. I stopped playing a while ago but I sunk maybe 40-50 hours into it. It's offline and endless.Also has different difficulty modes.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
To this day I'm shitty Infinity Blade is iOS only.

I tried War Robots but the controls didn't click with me. The idea of a pared back, mobile Mechwarrior is nice though.

Never realized Infinity Blade was iOS only. Shame. It's simplicity is somehow endearing, while their attention to certain details not so obvious to start certainly drew me in more. It's been years since I played it though so it might not be so great now. Nostalgia has a way of doing that. I watched Enemy Mine again not too long ago -- ruined a good memory forever.

As for War Robots, it's certainly nothing special. Definitely better on a tablet than a phone especially if you have big hands.
I only play Dragonball Legends. The gameplay fits the touchscreen very well. Combat system is complex enough to not be boring, some characters have very interesting special moves and passives. Graphics are superb. The gacha system is quite F2P friendly, there are no tiers and you get several (nearly) free pulls a day. I have 3/4 of the high rarity roster (several of them at 5 stars which means I pulled the same many times) and I've spent maybe 20 bucks during the past 5 months. No brainer for Dragonball fans.

Oh and it's great if you're lazy and just wanna do dailies, they take like 5 minutes to do.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Nov 9, 2018, 7:22:09 AM
I managed to make grand order working on my device despite being out of their intended regions. Will have to update manually each time but i don't mind it.

I noticed its way more dialogue heavy than other games I played. Lets see where it takes me after few weeks playtime.
Added you. Be aware I started today, so my support wont be of any use for a while to you.
The fundamental problem is that it is accepted as "gaming"..

all it is is cash grab games.. and second thing is

training people to use them after all.. all games compete with each other.. be it consoles..pc..board games..or "mobile"..

And the best gaming experience is on pc or consoles(for family)
Poe 2.0 new trailers when?
I’m playing Maple Story... ^.^
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info