[3.8] A CI/LL Tri-Curse Herald of Agony Occultist [Deathless Uber Elder, League Starter]

"
BillyLeB wrote:

Hello

Sorry but I don't realy understand the way this is working. I also have lightning damage on my amulet, is it interresting to try to get more on jewels? What make this lightning damage upping crawler damages?

@ BillyLeB

Hey Billy,

the way it is working is because we are taking the "Elemental Equilibrium" keystone in the passive tree. This keystone has the following properties : "Enemies you hit with Elemental Damage temporarily get +25% Resistance to those Elements and -50% Resistance to other Elements".

Which means that if you hit monsters with Rain of Arrows while you have added lightning damage to your attacks (by quiver, amulet, gloves, rings or jewels in your passive tree) AND ONLY added lightning damage to your attacks, the monsters you have hit will get +25% increase in Lightning resistance and -50% to Cold and Fire resistances.

As we now put the "Added Fire damage" support gem for the Herald of Agony Crawler, it means that his portion of Fire damage will then hit the monsters with -50% to their Fire resistance, increasing the total fire damage dealt.

As "Elemental Equilibrium" only works on player (aka "you"), the fire damage dealt by the Herald of Agony Crawler will not change the resistances of monsters.

For your other question, no, it is irrelevant to take further sources of lightning damage, only 1 damage of lightning is enough in fact !

I hope that it is clear enough for you, let me know if you have further questions !

Have fun with the build :-)
Last edited by El_Pakito on Dec 4, 2018, 4:48:29 AM
I was experimenting with builds to find one so i can start betrayal league with a build that can do it all and fairly cheap..So i stubled upon this one and gave it a go, not using any leveling items or currency, basically simulating how this is going to fair at the start of the league.. And i can say it is a solid league strater,made it to maps as fast and as comfortable as a fresh build can go so its deffinately viable for that purpose..After 75 i sped up the process basicaly 6l quill and a 6l 710es vaal regalia (fossil crafted myself with a few denses) and a es on hit watchers eye which are the only "expensive items" and threw myself at uber elder..Got him 1st try (not deathless) but that was really impressive..

I tweaked the build a bit. For delves i used the es on hit watchers eye its better i think for QoL in delves and fast mapping whereas the es recharge is better for bossses and single target.
Poachers mark for even more dps for clearspeed but in deep delves switching back to temp chains.

So my thoughts for this build:
1) Great all around setup. Very good clearspeed (not the best but its up there and regaldless of terrain) and very good boss killing potential. For bossfights the dps is not outrageus like other builds but its a constant and reliable 750k shaper dps and its not reliant on vaal skills or gem swapping or anything.
2)Very tanky epsecially once you start pouring top tier es gear on it. I had decent es helm and gloves and sin treks and at lvl 92 i was at 12k life. The es chest i crafted it for pennies maybe less than 50c worth of fossils.
3) All map mods, doesnt matter what they are i never looked what i was mapping just alch vaal and go red maps, only lo mana leech needed some attention not to shoot blanks and run out of mana sometimes i wouldnt even notice it halfway through the map, just autoattacked once and mana was back np.
4)Its not expensive at all.. Like you might think 2 6l and a watchers eye hey thats not cheap..But, you can farm porcupine cards yourself then chance the quill for 100-150 chance+scour orbs. 6l chest is not needed not even for Uber elder only place you wanted 3 curses was in deep delves, red mapping and end content are fine even on a 4 link.
5)Incandecent heart is better and perfeclty viable if you dont have 10k es upwards with a rare chest
6)DPS caps out at 750-800k shaper dps, once you get the lvl21 HoA there is very little room to improve it but on the flip side it is the only requirement and you dont need to search for luxury or elite items like a helm enchant or some meta crafting gear.

So, im glad OP posted this build, im gonna use it to start Betrayal unless there is a nerf (highly unlikely, they are busy nerfing uniques and statsticks), farm everything and then move on to explore the new skills that are coming.
"
TeosMaoMao wrote:
I was experimenting with builds to find one so i can start betrayal league with a build that can do it all and fairly cheap..So i stubled upon this one and gave it a go, not using any leveling items or currency, basically simulating how this is going to fair at the start of the league.. And i can say it is a solid league strater,made it to maps as fast and as comfortable as a fresh build can go so its deffinately viable for that purpose..After 75 i sped up the process basicaly 6l quill and a 6l 710es vaal regalia (fossil crafted myself with a few denses) and a es on hit watchers eye which are the only "expensive items" and threw myself at uber elder..Got him 1st try (not deathless) but that was really impressive..

I tweaked the build a bit. For delves i used the es on hit watchers eye its better i think for QoL in delves and fast mapping whereas the es recharge is better for bossses and single target.
Poachers mark for even more dps for clearspeed but in deep delves switching back to temp chains.

So my thoughts for this build:
1) Great all around setup. Very good clearspeed (not the best but its up there and regaldless of terrain) and very good boss killing potential. For bossfights the dps is not outrageus like other builds but its a constant and reliable 750k shaper dps and its not reliant on vaal skills or gem swapping or anything.
2)Very tanky epsecially once you start pouring top tier es gear on it. I had decent es helm and gloves and sin treks and at lvl 92 i was at 12k life. The es chest i crafted it for pennies maybe less than 50c worth of fossils.
3) All map mods, doesnt matter what they are i never looked what i was mapping just alch vaal and go red maps, only lo mana leech needed some attention not to shoot blanks and run out of mana sometimes i wouldnt even notice it halfway through the map, just autoattacked once and mana was back np.
4)Its not expensive at all.. Like you might think 2 6l and a watchers eye hey thats not cheap..But, you can farm porcupine cards yourself then chance the quill for 100-150 chance+scour orbs. 6l chest is not needed not even for Uber elder only place you wanted 3 curses was in deep delves, red mapping and end content are fine even on a 4 link.
5)Incandecent heart is better and perfeclty viable if you dont have 10k es upwards with a rare chest
6)DPS caps out at 750-800k shaper dps, once you get the lvl21 HoA there is very little room to improve it but on the flip side it is the only requirement and you dont need to search for luxury or elite items like a helm enchant or some meta crafting gear.

So, im glad OP posted this build, im gonna use it to start Betrayal unless there is a nerf (highly unlikely, they are busy nerfing uniques and statsticks), farm everything and then move on to explore the new skills that are coming.

@ TeosMaoMao

Thank you very much for your amazing and well described feedback, it is always reassuring when we can read that the build has performed well for other players.
GG for your Uber Elder kill !

It is true that this is a really good build, not requiring much gear to get rolling, with awesome offensive AND defensive capabilities.

I will be playing a very close version of this build myself, but as I'm playing only Solo Self Found (SSF), I wanted an even more "safe" setup, so I did not want to be reliant on Porcupine + Chance orbs.

I think it may even be better for Betrayal League (3.5) than now, as they mentionned some new "Flat ES nodes" in the passive tree. Although I hope that the Occultist will not be reworked too much for their "cold damage over time" archetype...

Have fun in Betrayal !
"
El_Pakito wrote:
"
BillyLeB wrote:

Hello

Sorry but I don't realy understand the way this is working. I also have lightning damage on my amulet, is it interresting to try to get more on jewels? What make this lightning damage upping crawler damages?

@ BillyLeB

Hey Billy,

the way it is working is because we are taking the "Elemental Equilibrium" keystone in the passive tree. This keystone has the following properties : "Enemies you hit with Elemental Damage temporarily get +25% Resistance to those Elements and -50% Resistance to other Elements".

Which means that if you hit monsters with Rain of Arrows while you have added lightning damage to your attacks (by quiver, amulet, gloves, rings or jewels in your passive tree) AND ONLY added lightning damage to your attacks, the monsters you have hit will get +25% increase in Lightning resistance and -50% to Cold and Fire resistances.

As we now put the "Added Fire damage" support gem for the Herald of Agony Crawler, it means that his portion of Fire damage will then hit the monsters with -50% to their Fire resistance, increasing the total fire damage dealt.

As "Elemental Equilibrium" only works on player (aka "you"), the fire damage dealt by the Herald of Agony Crawler will not change the resistances of monsters.

For your other question, no, it is irrelevant to take further sources of lightning damage, only 1 damage of lightning is enough in fact !

I hope that it is clear enough for you, let me know if you have further questions !

Have fun with the build :-)

Yes very clear, thanks :-) will try to get EE then as I have lightning damages on my ring.

I have made some minor changes in the build:

First I found the Chaos golem was lots ot time dead, so I linked it with a lvl 20 CwDT, with also a lvl 20 Molten Shell. So the Golem is always there and don't need to cast it. The molten Shell needs 155 STR but it's nice :-)

Second, the only good helmet I found with lots of ES and +36% duration for imortal call is a Memory Vault. Because of the 10% added reserved mana I made 2 adjustments: I took one more 4% reduction in the tree and I changed Vile toxine by Culling Strike. PoB gives me more DPS with Culling Strike than with Vile Toxine. Is this true or a mistake from PoB? Benefit of this helmet with tons of reserved mana: 2200 armor (and 10600 with flasks). Currently I need a little bit more cold resist because of the helmet change, will get it on a jewel I think.

I also use Flame Dash with faster casting, because I can cast it 3 times and feel beter with it than with Blink Arrow.

I made also some minor changes in the passives.

If you can take a look to my choces (gear, gems and passives) and give me your feedback :-)
Hey! :) First of all sorry for my English.
You will update this build to 3.5 if any better item will be available in the Betrayal league?
And if anything changes in ascendancy or passive tree? We'll see the patch notes soon :)
I love your build, i'll start this Friday :)
"
BillyLeB wrote:
Yes very clear, thanks :-) will try to get EE then as I have lightning damages on my ring.

I have made some minor changes in the build:

First I found the Chaos golem was lots ot time dead, so I linked it with a lvl 20 CwDT, with also a lvl 20 Molten Shell. So the Golem is always there and don't need to cast it. The molten Shell needs 155 STR but it's nice :-)

Second, the only good helmet I found with lots of ES and +36% duration for imortal call is a Memory Vault. Because of the 10% added reserved mana I made 2 adjustments: I took one more 4% reduction in the tree and I changed Vile toxine by Culling Strike. PoB gives me more DPS with Culling Strike than with Vile Toxine. Is this true or a mistake from PoB? Benefit of this helmet with tons of reserved mana: 2200 armor (and 10600 with flasks). Currently I need a little bit more cold resist because of the helmet change, will get it on a jewel I think.

I also use Flame Dash with faster casting, because I can cast it 3 times and feel beter with it than with Blink Arrow.

I made also some minor changes in the passives.

If you can take a look to my choces (gear, gems and passives) and give me your feedback :-)

@ BillyLeB

Ok for your change of CWDT 20 - Molten Shell 20 - Chaos Golem 20, that's definitely fine as an alternative.

Memory Vault works nicely as well if you can manage the mana with using Rain of Arrows nicely.

For "Culling Strike" support gem giving more DPS than "Vile Toxins" support gem, it seems absolutely impossible. "Culling Strike" gives at most 38% INCREASED damage and 10% increased attack speed at level 20/20, where "Vile Toxins" can give you 45% MORE damage at level 20, provided there are 9 poisons on the enemy. That may be where PoB is tricking you : you probably didn't put 9 poisons on the enemy in the configuration tab ("# of Poison on the Enemy")

If you prefer "Flame Dash", then again, feel free. I myself prefer "Blink Arrow", so to each is own !

I have checked your character. Everything is very fine. I have some minor comments :
- Why not switch "Convocation" in your gloves with "Discipline" in your helmet ? Your "Convocation" would then benefit of "Faster Casting" while you only have to cast "Discipline" one time ?
- Do you really need a Ruby, Sapphire and Topaz flasks in your flasks setup ? Cause some Quartz/Silver/Stibnite/Basalt flasks could be very interesting ?
- After taking "Elemental Equilibrium" at your next level-up, you could also consider to take "Zealot's Oath" after. As you have 2% life regen in your tree (Shaper node and Righteous Army node), it could be nice to have 2% ES regen, and it would turn a Sulphur Flask into a nice pseudo-healing potion (6% ES regen on Consecrated Ground)
- Finally, you could try to get some "Minions have #% chance to Blind on Hit with Attacks" on your Ghastly jewels for further defense

That's it for my feedback. Vatinas may have some additional comments !

Hope it helps !

@ kisdjbug

I'm not the author of the topic, but I'm pretty sure Vatinas will update the guide as quickly as possible after the patch notes and the passive tree are published.
If he is too busy, I will try to give some insight. So stay tuned and have fun in 3.5 !
Last edited by El_Pakito on Dec 4, 2018, 1:05:40 PM
Hello all!

I'm sorry for not answering a lot, I've been busy IRL these last few days. I'm very thankful for Pakito, everything he says is very insightful. (Thanks again for helping me Pakito!)

@TeosMaoMao

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Incandescent Heart is indeed a really good chestplate for CI builds, but as I mentioned earlier in the post, its ES is pretty low (mid 300s), and will be more expensive to get as 6L than a rare ES chest. You can even get a 6L Vaal Regalia with divination cards (The Ethereal) and try to craft it yourself for very cheap. But if you already have one, it sure is a nice option :)

Also, I doubt GGG will nerf the Crawler, they said they intended it to be strong without requiring investment in minion nodes, so that means they knew it would be really strong as a "one man army". Anyway, we'll see tomorrow, fingers crossed!

@BillyLeB

Supporting your golem with CwDT is a good idea indeed! I personally prefer self casting it, binding it to left click, but CwDT is a great choice too.

Concerning Memory Vault, I think it's a very underrated helmet! The flat armour you get from it will amount to a lot of physical damage reduction. if you found a way to use HoA + Discipline and have enough mana to cast Rain of Arrows, it's perfect! Good idea :)

Regarding Flame Dash, it's up to personal preference, and I'm very happy to see people follow their preferences and adapting the build to their playstyle! :D

@kisdjbug

Of course I will update the build for 3.5 :) I'm not planning to play it as my league starter, but I'm planning to play it to push past guardians, and will maybe try out some little variations. I'm planning to add a few lines in the introduction concerning the patch notes we'll get tomorrow, to give my thoughts about them, and will also update all trade site links when the league starts.

Thank you everyone for your warm feedback, I'm so happy that people are having fun with the build ^_^ Have a nice day!
"
El_Pakito wrote:

Ok for your change of CWDT 20 - Molten Shell 20 - Chaos Golem 20, that's definitely fine as an alternative.

Memory Vault works nicely as well if you can manage the mana with using Rain of Arrows nicely.

For "Culling Strike" support gem giving more DPS than "Vile Toxins" support gem, it seems absolutely impossible. "Culling Strike" gives at most 38% INCREASED damage and 10% increased attack speed at level 20/20, where "Vile Toxins" can give you 45% MORE damage at level 20, provided there are 9 poisons on the enemy. That may be where PoB is tricking you : you probably didn't put 9 poisons on the enemy in the configuration tab ("# of Poison on the Enemy")

If you prefer "Flame Dash", then again, feel free. I myself prefer "Blink Arrow", so to each is own !

I have checked your character. Everything is very fine. I have some minor comments :
- Why not switch "Convocation" in your gloves with "Discipline" in your helmet ? Your "Convocation" would then benefit of "Faster Casting" while you only have to cast "Discipline" one time ?
- Do you really need a Ruby, Sapphire and Topaz flasks in your flasks setup ? Cause some Quartz/Silver/Stibnite/Basalt flasks could be very interesting ?
- After taking "Elemental Equilibrium" at your next level-up, you could also consider to take "Zealot's Oath" after. As you have 2% life regen in your tree (Shaper node and Righteous Army node), it could be nice to have 2% ES regen, and it would turn a Sulphur Flask into a nice pseudo-healing potion (6% ES regen on Consecrated Ground)
- Finally, you could try to get some "Minions have #% chance to Blind on Hit with Attacks" on your Ghastly jewels for further defense

That's it for my feedback. Vatinas may have some additional comments !

Hope it helps !

Yes it helps a lot! So I must use Vile Toxine, you're right, with the good parameters in PoB it's far better. But it uses more mana so using Memory Vault is more difficult :-)

Will check you're other advices, thanks !

One more question about Resolute Technique, is it mandatory and if yes, why?
"
BillyLeB wrote:

Yes it helps a lot! So I must use Vile Toxine, you're right, with the good parameters in PoB it's far better. But it uses more mana so using Memory Vault is more difficult :-)

Will check you're other advices, thanks !

One more question about Resolute Technique, is it mandatory and if yes, why?

@ BillyLeB

If you use Quill Rain and Rain of Arrows, then yes, I'm afraid "Resolute Technique" is mandatory.

It allows us to be able to hit monsters with the arrows of "Rain of Arrows". And you can only apply poison if you actually hit.

We do not have enough accuracy in our equipment and passive tree, nor enough dexterity, to have a good chance to hit and therefore consistently hit.

If you do not take "Resolute Technique", your chance to hit will be maybe 70% or something like this (very easy to check in PoB, take out "Resolute Technique" and see the "Chance to hit" for Rain of Arrows), and then, when you hit, you have only 80% chance to poison (60% from "Poison" support gem and 20% from "Herald of Agony" buff effect).
So just these 2 chances : 0.7 x 0.8 = 0.56 so 56% chance only to poison !

And as you need to poison a lot for generating Virulence Charges that decay very fast, it would be a huge problem, not to mention that the more Virulence Charges you have, the better the Crawler from Herald of Agony becomes.

So yes, if you go the way of "Quill Rain + Rain of Arrows" to generate Virulence Charges, you really need "Resolute Technique"
OK :-)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info