It's a bloody great time to visit Sydney guys!

Deadly spiders emerge due to weather, public urged not to kill them.

[warning: the picture is a large close up of an angry funnel web spider]

Dan Rumsey, Zoo keeper, head keeper, at the Australian Reptile Park said there are a number of hot spots to look out for the arachnids.

“Obviously gardens are number one,” he told nine.com.au.

“Key areas would be shoes at the back door.

“Last year a boy was bitten putting some clothes in from the laundry basket.

“And they’ve been known to be found at the bottom of filter baskets in a pool.”

Mr Rumsay’s advice is to capture the spiders using a glass jar with holes in the lid, and use a long plastic ruler to guide the creature in.

Arachnids can’t jump, nor climb smooth surfaces.

“Keep them at arm’s length,” advised Mr Rumsey.

“If you’ve got a large coffee jar, and maybe a plastic ruler or a long spoon... [and bring them to the park]"

Zookeeper Dan's Instagram Page

Last edited by erdelyii on Oct 12, 2018, 7:32:47 PM
Last bumped on Oct 13, 2018, 8:01:37 PM
Charan, I thought you lived in Sydney!

Grats on the booking and honeymoon plans, maybe it's in Winter??!!

Also, wtf??? :/ That's some seriously weird timing on a thread make... Jeez :(

IM SORRY!!
Last edited by erdelyii on Oct 12, 2018, 7:47:13 PM
OHHHHH XD good one mate! You sure got me there. Relieved and laughing. Geez. I hate you a little bit now too XD

Yes, Clock Spider was a huntsman.

That's great your account of typical car protocol. I check my visors too - I'm fine with huntsmans and happily catch them to release but the unexpected one dropping in your lap or running across the windscreen and that JUMP AWAY instinct kicks in hard, which is dangerous.

Really dangerous

The racing thought "SHIT!! Is that on the inside or the outside of the windscreen??!!" and the "OH it's on the OUTSIDE!" relief, so good.

You've brought to mind a passage Stephen King's "The Shining", on the topic. Something like 2% of accidents have no identifiable cause, which might be down to insects. I can't remember too much, but I think the King angle was it might be a very good way to murder someone. Seems right for his kind of musings.

ed also:

Might regal for some flat lightning, but it seems I have plenty of time.

Last edited by erdelyii on Oct 12, 2018, 10:09:51 PM
You know, I have this fantasy view of Australia that is ruined every time folks bring up the snakes and spiders.

*shakes fist*.
Yep, totally over league play.
If you'd like to hear a true story - and this is true...

I was walking with my daughter along the Bendalong beach (its on the south east coast of NSW, Australia) with my daughter around 7.30 one morning. We were watching this little (5yrs or so) kid poke a stick at a diamond python that was about 7 feet long. I walked over and asked him to stop.

His mother saw me talking to him, raced over and started abusing me in what I think was indonesion, drags the kid away and sends husband over. He starts going off at me (this time in English). Once I managed to get a work in and pointed out his som was poking a very large snake with a rather short stick.

His reply was 'what snake' at which point the snake which was happily laying on a log, in the sun decided enough was enough and slithered away.

He aplologised, made his son say sorry (i think) while the wife was running around packing everything up to go home...

WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA - Our lands abound with natures gifts.

Cheers,
Matt.

PS. No snakes in NZ.

There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary, and those that dont.
"
essemoni wrote:

PS. No snakes in NZ.

AHA, I keep forgetting NZ has a similar appeal, and that accent...
Yep, totally over league play.
"

Surely you mean "1001 Reasons Not To Visit Sydney: #271"
____________________________________________________________________________________

- Self-proclaimed king of level 172 budget builds -
"Security token has expired. Please submit the form again."
____________________________________________________________________________________

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info