[3.5] Alpha and Omega, Molten Strike Raider. League Starter and End Game Finisher

okay so this is interesting.

essentially beltimber is the best sword for this build that anyone will realistically be able to obtain. period. but you CAN technically get better. HOWEVER it should be the last and final upgrade.

the thing that will give you significantly more damage than a better sword will be an elder helmet with essence of horror + conc + immolate. that will be expensive enough as it is.
if you already have that, then keep reading.

alright so i tested this in PoB vs my level 99 build version from delve. keep in mind that build version is no longer min/maxed as it doesn't have any aspect active or any of the new amazing crafts like 36% attack speed while focused on gloves, which is fucking bonkers amazing btw.
but this will compare weapons which can include those mods vs PERFECT beltimbers with 28% quality (hillock transportation quality).

ok so on that build, with perfect beltimbers and 28% quality (215% dmg 20% atkspd) my build ends up with
Ball Damage: 62,104.7
Attack Speed: 13.7
Max Projectiles: 13
Proposed Projectiles Hit: 6.5
Total DPS: 5,530,423.535

now with a relatively realistic crafted sword of having just tier 1 max roll hybrid %/acc then rest crafted mods of % phys, flat phys, %atkspd+quality and %atkspd if near rare/unique. total 48% quality (30% quality base)
460 pdps weapon
Ball Damage: 64,728.2
Attack Speed: 14.44
Max Projectiles: 11
Proposed Projectiles Hit: 5.5
Total DPS: 5,140,713.644

same crafted weapon as above, but instead of the attack speed while near rare/unique i crafted 17% chance to deal double damage while focused. this damage includes while being focused.
Ball Damage: 75,732.0
Attack Speed: 13.93
Total DPS: 5,802,207.18

now if i mimic the current best sword on poe.trade for betrayal league, 588 pdps, but instead of the crit chance+quality i craft the 18% chance to deal double damage while focused mod. damage is while focused.
Ball Damage: 77,408.8
Attack Speed: 14.46
Total DPS: 6,156,321.864

so as you can see, the damage is really not much higher for swords that are mirror tier. IMO you're better off just investing in perfect beltimbers and calling it a day.
there are other gear improvements that would amount to just as much damage. like i say the helmet is the most important thing, because its basically a stand alone 7 link. 7.5 link if you factor in combustion somewhere else.

then you can look to get an aspect somewhere, maybe. you could look to get crazy rings, a crazy pair of dps gloves with max attack speed + damage during flask effect + attack speed while focused etc etc.
there are many other benefits which would cost significantly less and give about the same amount of damage boost.

the watcher's eye jewel will also be a huge upgrade, and costs around 50 exalts (or did when i bought it, no idea about betrayal league).
total dps without watcher's eye = 4,555,067.79 vs the 5.14m with it.

just adding the 36% attack speed while focused mod to gloves gives my base build a boost of 1 million DPS. literally. dps jumps from 5.14 to 6,196,496.4425
Didn't expect such a detailed response, but thanks! I appreciate it... This build been one of the best I've tried, both for the reasonably easy start and the nice scaling at the end. I've opted for picking up some additional accuracy/attack speed nodes in addition to having war banner running. This allows me to use corrupted beltimbers missing the accuracy(testing with one but will probably buy a 2nd).
Picked up a 2 anger mod watchers eye (fire pen/extra fire damage) for 31Ex.

My current gear:

I know its not necessarily the ideal curse setup but allows me more wiggle room with -fire resistance, and with the watcher eye I can't afford to run anger/war banner/blasphemy.

To anyone struggling for int, Versatility over in the Marauder area is a nice 2 pt investment, don't need 3 points for the big accuracy boost like you do for accuity, and you get some bonus int.

Edit: Always open to gear suggestions, I'm usually a 'filthy casual' lol... so advice on maxing out my gear is more than welcome.

Last edited by Sedren on Feb 3, 2019, 5:00:08 PM
Poe noob here, been wanting to try out molten strike but have a few questions

1. Is the loss in aoe for molten strike noticeable with only 1 wildfire jewel?

2. Why increased crit strike in the cyclone setup? Cylone is just there to debuff the enemy and proc fortify isn't it?

3. Is the cyclone setup mandatory or are there alternatives?

P.S. (Your build looks amazing and I'm sorry if my questions sounds stupid)
aoe is basically bad for molten strike, to a degree. aoe makes the balls have a higher aoe splash, but it also spreads the balls out away from you meaning you'll gain less benefit from point blank.

inc crit is on cyclone because cyclone will crit and proc elemental overload, as well as ignite for immolate to proc, and for fortify, and to blind.
it does all these things very well because it hits so often.

there are alternatives but if you want to do all of the above consistently, it is the best choice.
there are much faster ways to get around though like leap slam if you prefer that over walking around everywhere
How do I craft the helmet with socketed gems are supported by immolate and concetrated effect?
So how does this work now that you can only have one wildfire?
"
So how does this work now that you can only have one wildfire?

fine. just reinforces the idea you need the molten strike helm enchant or to use dying sun flask.
otherwise you gain a jewel slot.

nothing changes for this in 3.6 either. maybe some passive tree stuff, not sure, haven't checked it out
I am at a natural 3 aps with legecy tombfist.

with ancestral protector it is about 3.8 aps

is there a natural way to hit 4 aps without ancestral protector?

because on my MS jugg (with the same gear), i hit a natural 4.XX aps (hit 5 with A.P)
uhhh im not sure how you don't have higher attack speed.

my attack speed standing in hideout is 7.25
natural mapping attack speed is 11.76
attack speed with totem is 14.08

just being a raider and having those swords should give you like 8 attack speed with totem and easily over 5 without
"
xMustard wrote:
uhhh im not sure how you don't have higher attack speed.

my attack speed standing in hideout is 7.25
natural mapping attack speed is 11.76
attack speed with totem is 14.08

just being a raider and having those swords should give you like 8 attack speed with totem and easily over 5 without

is it because you took way of poacher and have IAS jewels?

coz the bonus for both tallies to 27% IAS i think.
Last edited by Dezzo79 on Apr 4, 2019, 9:46:17 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info