[3.5] Just Play Sunder - Work In Progress

Intro:

This guide is for new players.

Unlike some of my other guides aimed at intermediate/advanced players this guide is specifically aimed at newer players. This is to help people get acclimated to PoE and experience the game while playing a straightforward ability and simply hit stuff.

If you're like me, you learn by doing and want to get doing as soon as possible. This guide will get you in the game quickly and interested readers can read a comprehensive explanation of how and why everything in this build works together.

Is this build a good at bosses? Can it do all content? Is it expensive? Can I league start with it? Is it good for a new player? What about gear?

Sunder is the one of the best skills for beginners. It is simple and powerful and most consider it the gold standard for new players. This guide will cover how to make a simple sunder character and even cover how to transition the build into others (with simple skill gem swapping).

Quick Reference:
Spoiler
Final Skill Tree

Links
  • Sunder - Melee Physical - Concentrated Effect - Added Fire
  • Ancestral Warcheif - Maim - Chance to Bleed - Blind - Culling Strike
  • Cast When Damage Taken - Blood Rage - Immortal Call
  • Leap Slam - Faster Attacks

Item Stat Priority
  • Weapon: Damage > Attack Speed
  • Helm/Armor/Gloves/Belt/Boots: Life > Resists
  • Rings/Amulet: Life > Resists
  • Jewels: Life > Attack Speed > Damage > Utility
Image Placeholder

PoB: placeholder

YouTube:

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/thi3n

Update Log:
Spoiler
3.5 Updates:
  • Placeholder
  • Sample Gear snapshot to be added.
Contents:

• 1. Pros and Cons
  • 2. Gear
  • 3. Gems and Links
  • 4. Bandits + Ascendancy + Pantheon
  • 5. Leveling + Skill Trees
  • 6. Tips and Tricks
  • 7. Questions I've Answered
  • 8. Thank you + Other Guides

1. Pros and Cons
Spoiler
Pros:
  • Placeholder. Words.

Cons:
  • Placeholder. Words.
2. Gear
Spoiler
In Depth Gear Explanation
Spoiler
Helm
Spoiler
Rare. Life and Resists are great here. For uniques you could consider things like Abyssus, Starkonja's Head, Devoto's Devotion.

Stats to look for: Life > Resists
Chest
Spoiler
Belly of the Beast. Great spot for life and resists. Rare Elder Astral Plates are probably the absolute best thing for this build but Belly and Loreweave are just great consistently good armors.

Stats to look for (if you're using a rare): Life > Resists
Weapon
Spoiler
Rare. The highest Damage weapon you can get in terms of tooltip DPS. Try out 2 Handers vs Dual Wielding. Personally, I recommend 2-handed sunder for simplicity sake.

Stats to look for (if you're using a rare): Damage > Attack Speed > Crit Chance
Gloves
Spoiler
Rare. Tombfists are great for late game but it's just another slot to fill in Life and Resists.

Stats to look for (if you're using a rare): Life > Resists > Attack Speed
NOTE: No glove enchant is really worth mentioning here. Feel free to use a base like Spiked Gloves for the extra increased damage.
Belt
Spoiler
Belt of the Deceiver. Great overall cheap unique belt that gives us everything we're looking for. Could also consider rare Stygian Vise for the lategame.

Stats to look for (if you're using a rare): Life > Resists > Increased Flask Effect Duration/Increased Flask Charges Gained

NOTE: Words.
Boots
Spoiler
Rare. 30 movespeed life and resists. Kaom's Roots can be great if you can get used to the leapslam playstyle.

Stats to look for (if you're using a rare): Movespeed > Life > Resists/Int > Open Prefix to craft Elemental Damage with Attacks

NOTE: Life/Mana leech enchant is a nice to have.
Amulet
Spoiler
Carnage Heart. Great amulet for leech, res, and stats. A simple rare with life and resists works fine here as well. For big spenders "Gain as Extra" modifiers work very well with Sunder.

Stats to look for (if you're using a rare): Life > Resist > Elemental Damage to Attacks
Rings
Spoiler
Rares. Life and resists. Nothing fancy here. Just get yourself some good resist and life and if you're a big spender get some flat physical damage in the implicit (Steel Ring) or as a roll on the ring itself.

Stats to look for (if you're using a rare): Life > Resists > Elemental Damage with attacks > Attack Speed > Flat Ele Damage
Accuracy
Flasks
Spoiler
  • Atziri's Promise. One of the best DPS flasks in the game. Works on your preconverted Physical Damage and your post-converted Elemental damage from things like Princess, Hatred, and any "Gain as Extra" you have managed to get in the build.
  • Diamond. A staple for most crit based builds. Crits being "lucky" effectively rolls your crit chance twice.
  • Onslaught. 3.
  • Wise Oak/Taste of Hate/Sulfur 4/5/6.

Look for Increased Duration and removal of Bleed/Freeze/Curse.
Jewels
Spoiler
Placeholder. words.
Stats to look for: Life > Attack Speed > Damage

Sample Gear 3.5 Betrayal League
Spoiler
Placeholder
3. Gems and Links
Spoiler
Sunder
Spoiler
Sunder - Added Fire - Placeholder

*NOTE: 1.
**NOTE: 2.
Auras
Spoiler
Placeholder. Words.
Utility
Spoiler
Cast When Damage Taken – Blood Rage - Immortal Call
  • Don’t overlevel your gems. You need to keep these gems relatively low level because we want CWDT to proc at a lower life threshold. By keeping it low – it also limits what level of spell it can cast. Personally, I keep CWDT at level 1.

Leap Slam - Faster Attacks
  • Great mobility and gap crossing.

Lightning Golem
  • Gives attack and movespeed if you can afford to get the links.
  • Can be annoying to recast and keep up so try having a high level Cast When Damage Taken. Culling Strike, Blind, and/or Increased Item Rarity are good ways to get more value from your golem.

Ancestral Warchief Totem
  • More Melee Damage. Ancestral Protector for attack speed is great depending on your playstyle and Decoy Totem can be useful if you are fine on damage.
Other Nice to Haves
Spoiler
Vaal Grace
  • Some extra survivability for bosses.

Vaal Haste
  • For all the speed demons.
  • With any of these Vaal Skills consider linking to Increased Duration!
Quality Priority
Spoiler
Sunder > Damage Supports (All give .5% increase) > Attack Speed Supports
4. Bandits + Ascendancy + Pantheon
Spoiler
Bandit:
  • Kill them all. Help Alira if you want to go down the Crit path.

Ascendancy:

Alternatives: 4

Pantheon:
  • Major God – Soul Arachali with 50% increased Recovery of Life and Energy Shield if you've stopped taking Damage Over Time Recently
    • Check out 6. Tips and Tricks to see how we do this consistently!
  • Minor God – Gruthkul for mapping Yugul for Uber Elder
5. Leveling + Skill Trees
Spoiler
These items can be useful while leveling: Goldrim, Tabula, Wanderlust, Prismweave, Redbeak, Brightbeak, Prismatic Eclipse, The Princess, Elreon -Mana Cost jewelery (resists/int a plus!), and buying skill/support gems with quality ready to be socketed in!

1. Low Level Tree

Rush Resolute Technique. Use Cleave or Molten Strike until you get Sunder at 12

MainSkill: Molten Strike - Chance to Bleed - Ancestral Call
Mobility: Leap Slam - Faster Attacks
MainSkill (Replaces Molten Strike): Sunder - Added Fire - Chance to Bleed
Utility: Ancestral Protector

Mention Dual Wielding vs 2 handed - general leveling tips (logging out, only doing necessary quests, getting best avail potions, pick up rares, will only use mainhand if incompatible weapon)

2. When in Doubt Life it Out

Other Tips

MainSkill: Updated
Aura: Herald of Ash - Herald of Thunder - Herald of Ice - Elemental Proliferation

3. Normal and Cruel Lab

Explain Benefits of Normal/Cruel Lab

MainSkill: Updated
Utility: Cast When Damage Taken - Blood Rage - Immortal Call

The Blood Rage needs to be before Immortal Call in the CWDT setup. The order is top left in a clockwise circle to bottom left.

4. Final Skill Tree

I usually do Blood Aqueducts until 66, questline up to Kitava, do my Cruel and Merc Labs, and then kill Kitava.

Alternatives: These trees are guideline, go off the beaten path and make the build your own!
6. Tips and Tricks
Spoiler
Boss Killing
  • Decoy Totem. Maybe explain mechanics
  • Upgrade your pantheon! The rate of leech is huge!

Soul of Arakali and Blood Rage
  • If you have a Cast When Damage Taken Blood Rage Immortal Call setup you can force the "stopped taking Damage Over Time Recently" upgrade
  • The Order of the gems in your Cast When Damage Taken setup matters! Make sure Blood Rage is before Immortal Call where the order is Top left first and Bottom Left last.

7. Questions I've Answered
Spoiler
What about X Item? What About Y Support? What about Z Ascendancy?
Spoiler
I always encourage people to make the build their own. All of my guides are just that, guidelines. Take what is useful and apply your own ideas and create ways to make it work for your situation.
8. Thank you + Other Guides
Spoiler
  • Thank YOU for reading! I appreciate the success stories in the thread.
  • Special shoutout to all the people who drop by and hangout on Twitch as well as my Followers/Subs!

Other Guides
Last edited by thi3n on Feb 6, 2019, 2:17:43 PM
Last bumped on Jan 26, 2019, 1:04:18 PM
Placeholder
Excellent guide, please keep updating and finishing it! I have been looking for something like this for a long time thank you very much!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info