Character Order At Login

Currently, when a character is made, it is placed somewhere at "random" on your char list. So if you're just making a mule (not that useful in this game) then you wouldn't want it at the top position. Not only does it look bad, but it can be an inconvenience.
After some testing and dicking around, I have some idea as to how the character order is decided. This makes quite a big difference to people who are neat or prefer to have "favorite" characters at the top. Obviously, you cannot do anything but delete characters to change the order once you've made them. The list is clearly not completely random, so there has to be some "logic" behind it somewhere.

So, the logic so far... (it may not be exact and is more of an example)
There is a "number" which represents the number of characters in the game. Every time a character is created, the number increases by 1. Every time one is deleted, the number decreases by 1. When you create a character, the number is increased. What does this "number" have to do with character order? When a character is created, it uses the "total number" to decide where your character goes. Every increase of the "total" by 1 increases your placement in your character list by 1. So, if I have 10 characters, and you create a new character, then my next character will be 1 lower on the list than it was if you had not created the character. Whenever I created a bunch of characters quickly after each other, they would be placed right under the last character I made. If I wait about 10 seconds, then it will be 1 lower than the last character I made. Also, it seems that after reaching the end of your character list, it starts back at the top.

This means... If you want a character in a certain location (Under Steve but above Janice) you would have to constantly create the character and delete it until it finally hit that spot. Unfortunately, if you create a character at an off-hour and have a long list, there's a good chance you will have your new character towards the bottom. If you have a list of only two characters, getting the third character will be quite easy to position.

While this isn't entirely that useful, it does allow you position it [eventually].

If anyone else is interested or cares to test and try and determine what the logic behind it is for certain, feel free to. I'll update if new knowledge comes along.

blargh, hope this is the right place for a thread like this. If not, too damn bad.
Last edited by Amalaira on Mar 4, 2013, 7:06:58 PM
Last bumped on May 8, 2018, 5:42:27 PM
I am pretty sure my character list is alphabetic.
Hadst thou established thine humble abode 'neath a boulder?
I think the OP may be right; it's not "random" but its not in alphabetical order either. I just spent the last 30 minutes creating a mule account trying to get my mules in order and although I created them in alphabetical order, they certainly are not appearing in alphabetical order in my character list. Nor are they in the order in which I created them. I'm having the hardest time trying to get the main mule to the top when if it were alphabetical, it would be the first one in the list. It's not a big deal though, I just wanted my mule character at the top.
Thank you Amalaira for your post.

I agree. There should be some controlled way to organize your character list. GGG, please add to the "to do" list.

--MoNStER
best attempt i have seen at figuring out how the list is ordered..

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/223075

i have often wondered myself
Things with "increased" and "decreased" in the tooltip are additive ... where as "More" or "Less" are multiplicative ...
It is going to be me to revive a thread from over 3 years ago.
Why haven't you implemented something to give players control of the order...
This is so terribly annoying and easy to solve !
+1
"
Reikaku wrote:
I am pretty sure my character list is alphabetic.

it is
Need a way
I vouch for that too. Having a way to order characters would be a great addition.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info