It seems Scorching Ray need a special pvp penalty

This feedback post mostly developers-oriented.

Mechanically the skill has a high potential, it require direct aim, you have to track your target, 'build' your 'chasing movement pattern', the skill may get you deeply involved into a fight and overall this could yield a 'great gameplay experience'.

But:

At current pvp penalty you can make a build that outregen 8-stages debuff damage by default.
At current pvp penalty 3+ stages debuff damage is high enough to kill any 'normal' character in a fraction of second.
SR totems are too good at tracking target, they can apply 8-stages debuff very easily and therefore have the highest possible pvp dps out of a SR build list.
If your character isn't built to regen more than 5k avg ES per second - the only way to 'deal with' SR is 'of Dousing' flasks. But since 'of Ruslatha' doesn't work in pvp anymore - SR user can abuse a very passive gameplay style draining opponent's flasks.
If your character has lower attack range it's not possible to rush to a SR user, no matter how high your attack speed.

We need something else than just 'of Dousing' flasks.
Last edited by g64 on Sep 22, 2018, 3:28:03 PM
Last bumped on Oct 2, 2018, 9:36:40 PM
having 5k es regen per sec is already an abomination pvp wise.

Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
lacerate beat totem builds pretty easy. because they take a sec before casting skills also their range is kinds suck. vs self cast sr build u just have to go high dmg and hope u kill them before they kill u. i dont feel more nerf is needed
Last edited by AnarchyJesus on Sep 28, 2018, 5:06:15 AM
exactly, all builds should get absurdly high dps and sacrifice every aspect of build making and that should be the basis of the poe pvp. to be able to counter one build, every singele one should shape their build around it and copy different variants of 4k life %600 increased damage build with different overlapping skills until no one plays pvp.
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
"
4k life %600 increased damage

I've seen this several times already, is it some sort of meme?
Even if you respec 80%+ damage and life nodes, from tree and gear you'd still have more % damage and life than 600/4k at lvl 95+ character.
Last edited by g64 on Sep 28, 2018, 6:28:01 PM
it's a common term to identify glass cannon build, and yes numbers can get higher in reality than what the term points to.
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
By the way what parameters set defines 'glass cannon'? It seems to me, the common way to do that on this forum is to perform a check:

can I kill it?
 if yes = glass cannon
 if no = omg so tanky.

Is 7k Hp 13% damage reduction, 50/50 dodge character a glass cannon?
is 6k hp 75/75 dodge build considered a glass cannon?
Last edited by g64 on Sep 28, 2018, 8:52:28 PM
[removed]
Last edited by Aodui on Jan 1, 2019, 12:58:12 PM
Scorching ray is indeed completely broken still. It is highlighted now as they nerfed a lot of other things, such as secondary damage.

"
Aodui wrote:

Penetration is too high all around, perhaps penetration should be capped in PVP, or better yet have strong diminishing returns beyond 30% or something (just diminishing returns everything! block, dodge, resists, etc.).

This complaint boggles my mind every time.

Penetration is nothing but another more multiplier among other multipliers. It also already has diminishing returns, which have gotten more harsh in the recent years as they have added more and more penetration. They have also added many new more multipliers that compete with penetration.

I'm not saying penetration isn't good. For most builds it is often the most cost effective way to get more damage. I'm just saying it doesn't differ at all from other more damage multipliers. It isn't a problem. There are a lot of problems in pvp but penetration as a mechanic isn't one of them.

Complaining about pen is essentially the same as complaining about items having 6 links instead of 5.
Last edited by lapiz on Oct 1, 2018, 5:02:34 AM
[removed]
Last edited by Aodui on Jan 1, 2019, 12:58:19 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info