Path of Exile VS. Diablo lll

I've played both betas all the way through with multiple classes (D3 with all classes both before and after the patch 13) and I can say both are solid games. It will boil down to personal preference. You're in luck though. You've had the advantage of getting to try the game that will cost you $60+ to play, if you don't get a closed beta invite you can always play PoE once it goes to open beta or is released since it's free to play. This way you can make your own educated decisions without having to sift through the fanboy/hater posts, be it for or against D3 or PoE.

Personally I've put probably 10 times as much time into the PoE beta than D3. A large part of that is due to the difference in the amount of content available and how much I've enjoyed what PoE has to offer. D3 doesn't really give you enough to confidently decide if the final product will be good where as the PoE beta does and I’m impressed with it. I know I'll get both and after playing them I can say I'm looking forward to D3 far less than before and was more than surprised by the quality of PoE. As a family man that works 50+ hours a week and who rarely gets to start playing games until after 10:00PM I can say I'll gladly sacrifice sleep so I get to play both of these games.

Give PoE a chance as soon as you can since it won't cost you a cent to do so, then decide which you enjoy more. Screw other people's opinions, this is a decision you need to make for your self. Gaming should be about what you enjoy, not about what others tell you which is 'better'.
Last edited by RWTD_Burn on Mar 14, 2012, 2:30:35 AM
Now you're raising my expectations of PoE people, stop it, baka!
Game on!
This is my list what I like, and think what's diferent:

Grafic:
PoE has really a dark diablo grafic, with really quality detail of textures for environment, and effects.
D3 doesn't have that type of graphic, it's more like improved darker wow graphic, with washed textures for environment.
PoE does not have quality animations, skill graphic and physics like d3.
Also PoE can run on my old comp, while d3 cant run.

Character development:
For D3 first, you choose your class, and cannot combine them. In PoE, you can have hybrid builds, and you choose your class with leveling your character, so they are not strictly limited by class. Becose of it d3 class are almost always played different, in PoE clases depend from your choices, and can be played totally different, or they can be similar.
In d3 a lot of character development is done automatically, with no fun with leveling. In PoE, its more fun to lvl, because you always get points to spend on pasive skills.In d3, you choose 3 passives, 6 skills and runes for theme, and 40 lvl you do nothing more.
D3 at the moment, becose of runes has a lot of combinations of skills.
PoE, doesn't have that much combinations (mostly because they are not all implemented yet).
PoE you need to plan your build in long run, in d3 you dont need, you will change you build depending from situation.
In D3, you are free to choose whatever skill you want, and runes for it, in PoE you have limitation because you need to have first a item that has that color of socket, and also links, to be abel to max your skills.

Items:
D3 has a ton of different items, but mechanic is not that good, because in later game a lot of items become useless (like normal items).
PoE while it doesn't have that much different type of items for now, no matter what lvl you are, you'll always search for every type of item, normal, blue, yellow, and all can be useful.

PvP:
For the moment both PoE and D3 dont have it, but from info d3 will not have any serious pvp competition, mostly because of RMHA, and as bliz said themselves.
PoE is developed with one of the reasons to be a good PvP (I hope).

Monsters:
They are much more diverse and interesting in d3, then they are in PoE at the moment. Same is for bosses

Leagues:
Possibility to make your own rules for game.
Cut throat league is somthing where PoE will shine if done right. It will be for the most hardcore players.
D3 doesn't have anything from this

Price:
PoE is free
D3 costs 60$

A lot of things here are not bad, or good, they are just different. As a long d1 and d2 player, i dont like a lot of things in d3, same as in PoE. But, because i'm searching for somthing that is more like d2 and d1, I like PoE more. D3 is a great arpg game, but unfortunately for me, it didn't meet expectations that I had for a diablo sequel.
I mean both look good. POE looks more raw, but with more freedom and kind of has more appeal to my old school gamer side. Diablo 3 will probably be fun in a different way, but both games should scratch an itch if you are a fan of this genre. Bring them both on. I can't wait to actually have to choose which game I want to play on any given day rather than waiting for a new game to come out.
I found this game while trying to find something to kill time waiting for d3, but from what I've learned about the game in the little bit of time I've been on this site, I'm really starting to think that I may end up preferring it over Diablo. I'll still donate my 60 bucks to Blizzard for the simple fact that they have never let me down to this point with fun products, but thinking more of my free time will be spent on PoE once it's released (or I miraculously receive a key but not holding my breath on that one)

not even pretend to try to sway anyone one way or the other, just a new fan's perspective on the topic
@Ragnar119: I agree with most of your post, except the 2 big parts ^^;;

Character development:
yeah, it's inexistant in Diablo 3.
But overall, I prefer their system, mostly because you're not bound to socket numbers in your items, unlike PoE.
I won't talk about skills, because everything isn't done in PoE, they'll add 50 more skills. I hope they introduce more interesting gameplay mechanism compared to what we currently have.

Items:
If you read my post in the Beta Feedback forum, you know what I think about them in PoE. In the end, I didn't look at the items anymore because they all were garbage (white and blue), I was only looking for socket because I didn't want to lose power with my skills. I think it's a pretty big problem.
And what the hell are you talking about items in D3 becoming useless ^^;;
I didn't really understood this part.
But overall, items in D3 seem a lot more interesting, especially since we learnt they could modify your skills.
And the blacksmith gives you a clear goal to achieve. If you're not lucky with your drops, you can always craft your own items.

People who play PoE seem to think they are free to do whatever they want, because of the big passive tree and gems, but I don't think you're THAT free...
Skills are limited and choice in the passive tree are also limited. The newcomers keep asking where they should put their points in the tree because they are afraid to make a mistake (and the respec system sucks). But once you learn how to read the tree, you'll just plan your build, get the few keystones and grab a few points to equip the right weapons. Nothing really amazing there IMO...

At least, people are theorycrafting about it (I do :) ).
PoE forums ignore list script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162657

0.4: added "ignore" button. ignore list is now saved locally.
Last edited by kodr on Mar 14, 2012, 10:16:58 AM
"
kodr wrote:

If you read my post in the Beta Feedback forum, you know what I think about them in PoE. In the end, I didn't look at the items anymore because they all were garbage (white and blue)

That's a mistake that you did. You need to search for any type of item, normal (white) or good blue,it will increase your chance to find best item posible and with orbs you can make them really good. I did it personally a lot of times.

"
kodr wrote:

, I was only looking for socket because I didn't want to lose power with my skills. I think it's a pretty big problem.

Yes and no. I don't like that skills depend from items (it is a limitation), but must tell you this, it's not that hard to find a good item for your skill. Especially in endgame. And before choas, the game is realy not that hard if you alredy played it once.

"
kodr wrote:

And what the hell are you talking about items in D3 becoming useless ^^;;
I didn't really understood this part.

The thing that I meant to say is that in d3, white items are useless, same as blue items (well they can be used for crafting at least).
PoE system is created that way that no matter what lvl you are all type of items are and will be useful for you, like normal (white)items. Finding a normal high lvl item with 5 sockets is realy a good thing. And from it you can easily make a powerful magic item, or rare (little harder) with orbs.

"
kodr wrote:

People who play PoE seem to think they are free to do whatever they want, because of the big passive tree and gems, but I don't think you're THAT free...
Skills are limited and choice in the passive tree are also limited.

You are free as a bird as it comes to pasive skills. You have a small limitation when you choose your character so some skills are harder to get, but you can create what you want, you won't be as powerful as character that is designed for it (but it can work with good items), but thats the point, you can do what you wont, its called freedom. There are no limits in passive skills, there are only some unbalance skills.

"
kodr wrote:

The newcomers keep asking where they should put their points in the tree because they are afraid to make a mistake (and the respec system sucks). But once you learn how to read the tree, you'll just plan your build, get the few keystones and grab a few points to equip the right weapons. Nothing really amazing there IMO...

Agree that passive skill is not noob friendly,but disagree that it's nothing special. Compare the passive skill tree to diablo 3 passive, it's much more special then d3 tree.
"
Ragnar119 wrote:

That's a mistake that you did. You need to search for any type of item, normal (white) or good blue,it will increase your chance to find best item posible and with orbs you can make them really good. I did it personally a lot of times.

lol, it's not MY mistake if items look boring :D
come on... who is exciting when finding a white item...
you said it yourself below, you have to craft your items from white because all the blues are mostly garbage if they don't have the right sockets, that's what I pointed out.

"
Ragnar119 wrote:

You are free as a bird as it comes to pasive skills. You have a small limitation when you choose your character so some skills are harder to get, but you can create what you want, you won't be as powerful as character that is designed for it (but it can work with good items), but thats the point, you can do what you wont, its called freedom. There are no limits in passive skills, there are only some unbalance skills.

well, at least it makes some people dreaming, it's a positive point :)

I prefer the freedom Diablo 3 provides, where you can swap your skills whenever you want, based on the situation.

It's not a problem in PoE because enemies are pretty predictable right now (melee or ranged) except for a few (goat man).

My $.02

Diablo 3 beta, isn't a beta at all, it's a sample, not even big enough to be called a trial, only granting people access to keep the fans mouth watering.

Having been in the PoE beta for 3ish weeks now, and having all 5 available classes in the mid to low 40s, this games replay value is sub par.

There is a 'breaking' point sometime after level 35, but before Chaos (haven't been there yet) where the game possess exactly 0 challenge.

I know it's a small team, and this game is great, do not get me wrong, but with the limited access we have to content/quests, it gets old faster than solitaire.

As far as comparing D3 to PoE, two different games, 2 different groups of 'rabid' lovers and haters.

Both games will be great, and we (the players) will all win.
exciting loot in ruthless (3rd difficulty level).

you'll have your share of challenge in Chaos.
I rushed it with a character, he was level 53, mobs are level 60...

Last edited by kodr on Mar 14, 2012, 11:20:10 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info