Path of Exile VS. Diablo lll

I blame Turing and all the rest of those in the "pre-computer" age for inventing a thing that has ruined my life with time-wasting fun....

Also the inventors of beer, Bratworsts and football....

:D
I am disappointed with the direction Diablo 3 is going. That doesn't make it a bad game, it's just not what I want from it. It disappoints me because it doesn't seem natural to expect this direction based on the previous games. There does seem to be an influence from other modern blizzard games that haven't gone in the direction I like either. That doesn't make them bad games. The fact that they are so popular probably indicates that they aren't bad games ( doesn't necessarily make them good either mind you ). That being said, just because I haven't enjoyed the direction Diablo 3 is going / has gone, doesn't mean it's bad.

I'm just glad there is an alternative that is trending towards the type of game I was hoping for when I heard about Diablo 3 game coming out.

No hate towards Diablo fanboys who like the new direction ( or the continuation of the things they like ), but this old Diablo fan boy is jumping ship. I don't think Blizzard is going to miss me or the other folks who won't buy Diablo 3, but will play Path of Exile instead. Even if the entire fanbase of Path of Exile never bought or played Diablo 3, I still think Diablo 3 would be huge. The franchise is THAT popular. I'm sure a lot of people here will play both. Some will like Diablo 3 more, some will like Path of Exile more. I don't think either side should rage towards the other because each side gets what they want...
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
My friend, who tried D3's beta but didn't know the game until then, was also disappointed with the skill system and how they removed skill points, he didn't feel connected to his character.

It wasn't an important aspect of the game for me, maybe that's why I'm enjoying what I'm seeing. I prefer fast games (Quake 3, Bayonetta, Blazblue).

The mindset around here is "people should pay for their mistakes", that's the most common point most people here would bring when we talked about respec. But once you have the knowledge, it isn't hard anymore to read the skill tree.

Well... I prefer to just enjoy the game for its gameplay. If the game is challenging and fun, it means it was well designed and don't need gimmick to make it hard. You can improve your skill overtime, and that's the way I see Diablo 3. Enemies seem to be challenging because you have to think about your position and the skill you will use (which mau also affect your position or the enemies around you).
PoE forums ignore list script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162657

0.4: added "ignore" button. ignore list is now saved locally.
Last edited by kodr on Mar 15, 2012, 2:13:46 PM
"
kodr wrote:
The mindset around here is "people should pay for their mistakes", that's the most common point most people here would bring when we talked about respec. But once you have the knowledge, it isn't hard anymore to read the skill tree.

...Or you get get rewarded for making the best decision. Either way I like having the choices in my hands. I like being in control.

New players are punished for not knowing, it's just selfish.

Did you take a look at the classes subforum and how many posts I did, trying to help other players?

It's not hard at all to put some points once you know where to look.

No. They are still rewarded for choosing the path they go down. It's just not AS rewarding as choosing a different path. There isn't a punishment for levelling, just differing value of reward. Sometimes the cumulative result of multiple 'less than optimal' choices means you can come up against difficult portions of the game sooner. They aren't being punished, they just aren't being rewarded as much.

There is a difference between minimal reward and punishment. There isn't much you can do levelling wise to make your character worse ( aside from possible keystone mistakes ), but there is a bunch of ways where the benefits you gain from levelling don't help your character. The difficulty is that if you don't level effectively, the enemies will soon outpace you.

That's the way I felt, and you're telling me "no, you don't know how you felt".
Well... thanks for enlightening me then :D

That's why we can't have nice things...

It's not a matter of feeling. It's fact. It's VERY difficult to get worse as you level. The only reason it seems that way is because you fall behind the difficulty curve. Don't think I'm right? Go back a few levels and see how much easier it is. Just because a build is less effective later on doesn't mean you aren't still better than you were 5-10 levels earlier. It just means the difficulty curve has progressed faster than your character. If you went through with a more optimized build you could stay ahead of the difficulty curve.

You weren't punished for going up a level. You just weren't rewarded as much as you could have been. See what I mean now?

"
NotSorry wrote:
"
Tagek wrote:
Basically what you are is someone that likes to hate on popular things.
Also, you are looking back at the old games so much that you don't realise how hard it is to make a new game while still maintaining a good balance.
All the genres blizzard makes games in have very hard to balance gameplay types, ofcourse they aren't going to be perfectly balanced on release, or ever for that matter.

Also, you claim unbalance, but for example diablo 2 was terribly unbalanced and still an amazing game.

Overall all I see you do is bash the games with no actual arguments behind your opinion.

Seems like the only difference between his hate and your hate is that you are blaming Activision for it and he is saying it started before Activsion came into the picture both of your end results are the same.

Then you completely misunderstood me. I don't think blizzard's recent, or old, games are dumbed down and skill-less at all. I think they are all amazing games.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
"
MaxTheLimit wrote:
It's not a matter of feeling. It's fact. It's VERY difficult to get worse as you level. The only reason it seems that way is because you fall behind the difficulty curve. Don't think I'm right? Go back a few levels and see how much easier it is. Just because a build is less effective later on doesn't mean you aren't still better than you were 5-10 levels earlier. It just means the difficulty curve has progressed faster than your character. If you went through with a more optimized build you could stay ahead of the difficulty curve.

You weren't punished for going up a level. You just weren't rewarded as much as you could have been. See what I mean now?

Way to balance a game then.
That's why everyone find this game too easy, because once you understand how the tree works, it's easy to not screw up. But if it's too hard, it kicks new players in the nuts because they may screw their trees.
Think about it.

If this game is only about rubbing your ego in noob's face, it's ridiculous. How about some skill?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info