My GPU is heating after the last update

"
Christof wrote:
My gpu seems to be at 48-60c. using vsync to limit frames.

I use a 60hz monitor too and I use vsync capped at 60 fps and still getting the heat on GPU it's weird, am just imagining if I get a gaming monitor and have 144fps what would be the case , my GPU would hit 80c + temperature ?
"
letouconFTW wrote:
"
Christof wrote:

I use a 60hz monitor too and I use vsync capped at 60 fps and still getting the heat on GPU it's weird, am just imagining if I get a gaming monitor and have 144fps what would be the case , my GPU would hit 80c + temperature ?

Graphic card is constructed to work on 100% with fan and produce tolerable heat. Most common recommended value is not to pass 85°C. Some 1070 card do not pass 70° other go up to 80°. Its due how card is constructed and/resp. what type of fan used.

Lets say, we have two games. Both shows gpu is used at 50%, nevertheless one is showing heat 60° and another 70°. Its due what kind of technology on gpu is used by game.

If card has low fan quality, than probably card will make more heat = fan goes on higher speed and make more noise. Check out MSI cards - Gaming versions has newest fan, while Armor versions are using fan from 980ti cards (which was top those days). Those Gaming cards are providing almost the same results as Armor cards when clocked on same speeds, but Gaming will produce less heat and noise due new type of fan and construction overall.

V-sync limits produced fps equal to refresh rate of monitor; what is above is not rendering lowering in that way power consumption and heat and noise. Therefore when you remove V-sync, you will most probably get more gpu load (sometimes few percent sometime you reach 99%), rising fps and heat and noise. But that temperature will again limited by hardware itself. It is known, that some instructions on chips create more heat than others, but its nothing to worry about as hardware construction has to count on that.

Basically what we players want is to use our hardware at 100% all time and not to pass recommended temperature levels recommended by producer of hardware. If that happens, than its time to make maintenance, occasionally repair.
Last edited by Rexeos on Sep 15, 2018, 10:14:29 AM
You should be fine until you get in the 100+ range.
"
letouconFTW wrote:
"
Christof wrote:

My frames @ 122fps+

I have 144hz monitor, but i prefer 120hz more.

I had more than 70c+ without sidepanel fan, after installing fan on the panel it reduces the temps 10-20c in different games.

and i removed the extra hdd metal thingy to have much better airflow from front to rear. (fractal define R5 case)

GPU is 1070 msi armour OC version or something :)
Thank u Rexeos for the explanation but the main idea is that as far as I know Poe isn't a very demanding game compared with new games but still getting the highest temperature while playing it. I never went over 70c in any game and my GPU fans are in a very good condition as far as I know. So my main idea is mabe GGG should take a look again on the new graphic features implemented to the game and mabe fix the way it's calculated becuz I honestly prefer to game on about 50 to 60c all time like before , and that would be more healthy for my hardware .
"
letouconFTW wrote:
Thank u Rexeos for the explanation but the main idea is that as far as I know Poe isn't a very demanding game compared with new games but still getting the highest temperature while playing it. I never went over 70c in any game and my GPU fans are in a very good condition as far as I know. So my main idea is mabe GGG should take a look again on the new graphic features implemented to the game and mabe fix the way it's calculated becuz I honestly prefer to game on about 50 to 60c all time like before , and that would be more healthy for my hardware .

Healthy for 1070 gpu is even 80 - 85 °C, but those numbers are signals for maintenance of graphic card.

If you are interested how is so that that temperature is ok and get deeper into topic here are two post from oveclocking forum (1st one should interest you imo at least):

1)"Too much voltage kills your CPU because you degrade your chip's architecture.

Voltage is the electric potential difference between two points, and that means, work needed to transfer the electric charge from place A to place B, and if you overdo that molecular structure in the chip changes.

There is no way to get around this, so every electrical component will die after a period of time needed for the molecular architecture to degrade.

That means at stock your CPU might live even 30 years, but as soon as you start uping the voltage, you start to shorten the lifespan of your CPU, this is the same for the GPU as well."

------------------------------------------
And here is explanation with youtube link.
------------------------------------------

"2) Heat damages silicon is a common misconception. It is voltage and voltage alone that does it (not voltage causes heat and heat degrades silicon).

Youtube base to watch and then read the following. (but not necessary).

So, as you might now know (after watching the video), electrons in one end of the doped silicon (source) aren't supposed to be able to reach the other end (drain) under 'off' conditions. Under positive voltage (which is your CPU voltage), electrons accumulate under the silicon dioxide (gate) and the switch is closed (turned on). Now, due to the nature of quantum mechanics, electrons are able to exhibit a feature called 'quantum tunnelling', i.e., move through a barrier in a non-Newtonian fashion (if your hand could quantum tunnel, it could pass through a door). What CPU manufacturers do is dope the silicon in such a way that the energy barrier required for an electron to tunnel from the source to the drain is HUGE, so under normal circumstances, the electron stays where it is supposed to. An excessive voltage gives electrons more energy, therefore they have a higher probability to overcome the energy barrier, causing the switch to close (turn on) when it is supposed to stay open (turned off). Over time, a sort of path is formed making it easier for electrons to tunnel through (silicon degradation), ultimately leading to CPU failure."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Following from another forum where you can check why Intel give 3 year warranty and how oveclocking shortens lifetime of cpu.

Explanation: https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/723980-Truth-about-CPU-degradation
Last edited by Rexeos on Sep 15, 2018, 5:55:21 PM
I can confirm that since last Patch the CPU and GPU usage is higher than before. Being a Streamer with a pretty old CPU, I was able to run streaming software, chatbot, browser, Discord and the game without any problems but since last patch the usage is over the roof.

Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Pro 4
CPU: Intel i5-3570K
RAM: 8 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Graka: KFA2 Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 EX 8GB GDDR5
Connection: Cable 200 MBit
Streaming Software: Streamlabs OBS

I can not however determine if it really happened due to the game patch, or if it was the Windows Update or the update of my GC drivers. But most definitely something is different since then, PoE just needs a whole lot of more CPU and GPU Ressources.

It must be caused by one of those three changes, however I know my CPU is quite old. This has to last at least until the end of the year, as first then I will be able to upgrade my Hardware and buy a Capture card, so that this system with a different GC card can run the Streaming Software while my other system will be running the game. Until then I just hope to find out what was the culprit (if there is anything I can do lol).
https://www.twitch.tv/ston3cold3
I´m having the same problem.
I have an old System: 8 year old Intel 5 750 and Radeon 5800 Graphics (OS is Windows 7), but it worked well enough.
Never had too high temperatures, and the utilization of the components never was higher than 60-70%.
When i start playing now, the GPU temperature rises from 37 to 84°c within 2 minutes, the fans run up to 3200 (yesterday 5000) RPM from ~1200, and the GPU utilization rises to 100%.
The CPU temperature is okay, but the utilization also rises up to 100%.
This is far more than before.
Settings are all set to low. Tried to enable/disable vsync, but there was no difference.
There are no Radeon updates for this card, because it is too old, and the last Windows update was 2 months ago.
No other changes, just updating the game.
First i thought my GPU dies now, but if there are other people with the same issues, maybe there is another answer.
Last edited by Casludy on Sep 18, 2018, 1:38:28 AM
"
Casludy wrote:
I´m having the same problem.
I have an old System: 8 year old Intel 5 750 and Radeon 5800 Graphics (OS is Windows 7), but it worked well enough.
Never had too high temperatures, and the utilization of the components never was higher than 60-70%.
When i start playing now, the GPU temperature rises from 37 to 84°c within 2 minutes, the fans run up to 3200 (yesterday 5000) RPM from ~1200, and the GPU utilization rises to 100%.
The CPU temperature is okay, but the utilization also rises up to 100%.
This is far more than before.
Settings are all set to low. Tried to enable/disable vsync, but there was no difference.
There are no Radeon updates for this card, because it is too old, and the last Windows update was 2 months ago.
No other changes, just updating the game.
First i thought my GPU dies now, but if there are other people with the same issues, maybe there is another answer.

In this case it could indeed just be old hardware. PoE needs better GC since releasing DX11 support.

In my case however I've been monitoring the behaviour of my cpu and gpu usage while streaming for weeks now, which is why I can confirm, that either the last Windows Update, the latest Nvidia driver update or the last PoE Patch are causing the issues. I'm a bit reluctant to roll back to a previous Windows update, but I will play around with the Settings I have as well as will try if I can roll back the Nvidia drivers to see if the issue is being caused by that. I want to stream as before and well, I just can't afford new hardware before the end of the year sadly. So I gotta find the culprit to be able to continue my streaming schedule ^^
A colleague of mine said if it happened after a Windows Update, I should activate the Game Mode (I deactivated it ofc), enable the game bar in the game, deactivate it there and then deactivate the game mode again. He said he had it that for some reasons even though he deactivated it Windows seems to have had a own opinion about it and activated it for his games if it wanted to. So I will keep this updated later when I'm home to check it out.

If it is the culprit I will deactivate it via Powershell and registry.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info