[3.5] Starter....haha ya right. Dead.

*****DISCLAIMER*****
This build is not going to be the best OP DPS you can get with toxic rain. DoT scaling will have a hard cap to how much you can scale its damage, but it is a very cheap and easy starter which scales enough to finish 99% of game content, if not 100%

*****UPDATE*****
I've updated this build in order to have much better life recovery from life gain on hit elder rings and option of % life recovery on kill with elder chest.
Some other things have swapped around and i have not fully optimized the build again but this is a large improvement over the previous "base" version.

So i just thought i'd make a thread showcasing my version of the typical toxic quill rain spam.

i've given up doing a full build format type of crap, just don't have the time, but i'll post whats important and am happy to answer questions pertaining to anything about it

All About Passives/Tree

Passive Tree

this is a level 95 passive tree, killing all bandits and picking up the 2 points. you could also aid oak to get the regen and phys dmg reduction if you so prefer, but i do not recommend aiding kraitlyn.

feel free to change up whatever you want, but the main thing is to get blood magic so we don't need to wear thiefs torment or worry about any other type of mana sustain.
we don't need the flask stuff because we're not a pathfinder, but the life and life recovery from flask nodes are recommended at some point.

Ascendancy Talk

i chose raider because its extremely defensive. pathfinder does nothing for you if you're focusing just the DoT aspect of toxic rain. agony does hardly anything for you, and you don't want to be burdened with needing to poison just for it. keep in mind as blood magic you don't want that reservation anyway.

trickster is good, but raider is more defensive. raider does also get the frenzy charges so you still end up getting +24% more damage. it might also be too much of a stretch to reach blood magic passives as a shadow, im not sure.

feel free to play it however you want, but my decision for raider is because of avatar of the chase. you get immense attack and movement speed but most importantly is +25% more evasion chance. i end up with 80% evasion when i have my flasks up. add on top of that dodge and if you choose, enfeeble/blind etc, you are very tanky.
i went avatar of the slaughter because avatar of the veil really doesn't do much for you as chaos DoT. free phasing is nice though, but not worth 4x ascendancy points in my opinion.

Gear

Gear Talk

couple required here.
#1 quill rain. required for toxic rain spam. thats it.
i recommend rings with life gain on hit, which is an elder ring specific mod (at such high value) but im honestly unsure just how much this is aiding me on its own. toxic rain i believe can hit when you first shoot it, but most hits come from the explosions and by then everything is dead so you may not be getting much life back from it.
if you have issue with life sustain than your best bet is to get recovery on kill elder chest.

everything else is your choice. notice that drillneck is not in the build, its because we don't poison, we don't pierce, we don't care.
so legit everything else can be as high life and resistances as you can afford, which should be pretty fucking cheap considering you can spread it out over everything.

the free-est of spots is your chest. i specifically wanted all my resists dealt with so that i could run any chest i wanted, including a non linked queen of the forest(cheap) for fast map/delve speed clear, or a kintsugi to run around in the darkness, or a kaom's heart to challenge harder content.
feel free to also run with a loreweave, links not required, for easy 80% resistances too.

for jewels i just get as much attack speed as i can. same with boot enchant. i have 10.46 attacks per second and it feels great. mirage archer is a beast on its own

Helmet Talk

for a helmet you ideally would like an elder base with +% toxic rain damage. life, minus chaos res and concentrated effect in order to socket your caustic arrow into for a pseudo 5L to aid with single target damage.

to get this helmet i just used two fossils. an aberrant and pristine fossil. i got that result on my 3rd try.

Gem Links/talk

if you're focusing on the DoT aspect of toxic rain the absolute best 6L for maps is as follows

Toxic Rain, Mirage Archer, Vicious Projectiles, Void Manipulation, Swift Affliction, Efficacy
technically increased duration will have higher dps than swift affliction, but its a longer "ramp up" time.

Caustic Arrow, VP, VM, swift affliction in pseudo 5L helm is best.

rest doesn't really matter. you obviously want blink arrow somewhere. right now im just leveling up a bunch of toxic rain to get a lvl 21 gem because i sold my old one when i stopped playing the build before. so ignore the 10 toxic rains i have equipped, lol.

wither totem is better than withering touch totem.

for more life recovery you can also have a barrage/life gain on hit setup for very quick life gain returns in a pinch.

IMPORTANT NOTE. its very easy to get lvl 21 CA and TR, because their quality bonuses are not required (or desired IMO). they both just give inc aoe, so they don't really matter. feel free to level as many gems as it takes just to 20 and corrupt.

if you end up running a chest piece with links feel free to add anything else you want, including a CWDT setup and what have you.
frostwall is a decent addition because toxic rain pods will collect against a wall for more overlap damage potential.

Pantheon

so pantheon is actually pretty useful here. i roll with..
Major: Soul of Lunaris
Minor: Soul of Tukohama

Lunaris is good for extra avoidance, especially for projectiles which you may not see or reach at first. afterall, you don't need brine king because we avoid stun lock with our hit avoidance anyway, and we also don't take crit strikes, and DoT isn't a big deal with our regen/avoidance.
HOWEVER Soul of Arakaali im pretty sure does work vs darkness degen. so if you're devling through the darkness and you pop a flare, your hp regen should go up 50% because of it. so if you want to do more darkness diving this is another added defense for it with that upgrade.

Tukohama is pretty simple too. we get more phys dmg reduction and regen as we're standing still spamming toxic rain. best option IMO.
Use Ryslatha for lab farming.

Videos

T14 Map clear

as you can see the map mods here are basically terrible for this build. enfeeble + chaos res + boss life + less curse effect gimps damage HARD. shocked ground + inc accuracy + reduced flask charge + unlucky dodge gimps defense HARD. no problem

i got spiked down to 2800 hp at my lowest, which is a non issue but its the biggest reason why people can't get used to playing evasive builds. they can't handle taking damage at all. im used to it so i don't panic. i knew i was going to be fine but i did bring kaom's just in case i felt threatened.

it only happened because i ran into a full group of mobs without my flasks up. it would have been dangerous if there was an added 100% damage as added xxx but at that point i would have used my kaom's

***UPDATE
Just completed all guardians and downed shaper. very easy. the guardians are easy except chimera, he can be hard but it might have been the mods i had on my map too. i had +72% more life and vulnerability, and while i did it deathless, it was a struggle and quite slow.

the other guardians were easy as fucking pie. they couldn't come close to touching me it was pretty much a joke. shaper too.

im unsure if i'll try uber elder with this build, but i have done a red tier elder and he is easy as hell, like everything else. since it is DoT focused damage, the upfront damage is not there and keeping shaper alive is a struggle UNLESS you use frostwall. frostwall will block all the projectiles heading shaper's way and makes it a walk in the park keeping him alive.

for a league starter, this build is definitely the cheapest and strongest i've done so far. very pleased with how this build has performed.
Last edited by xMustard on Dec 4, 2018, 11:46:53 PM
Last bumped on Mar 13, 2019, 9:01:13 PM
Looks interesting for sure. Something I'd consider: RAT Barrage/GMP/withering touch for more damage vs bosses. Also, It might be a possibility to respec 3 nodes to the Profane Chemistry node. It does however only give you 4% max life per node, but it does add a nice 50% increased life recovery from flasks.
This looks actually pretty cool! I'll probably give this a go. Have a quill ready, just haven't managed (and my luck is shit) to 6 link it yet.
Would love if you could make a small vid demonstrating it tho :c
"
iOnlyRave wrote:
Looks interesting for sure. Something I'd consider: RAT Barrage/GMP/withering touch for more damage vs bosses. Also, It might be a possibility to respec 3 nodes to the Profane Chemistry node. It does however only give you 4% max life per node, but it does add a nice 50% increased life recovery from flasks.

ya i've really looked into those nodes, and they definitely are enticing, but i decided to go for the scion jewel socket instead because with the new fossils you can create pretty awesome jewels.
so in a jewel i could get 30% chaos dmg, 7% life, and 0.3% life regen. of course this is a 4 perfect-want-i-want mod jewel, but all in all i think its better than those 3 life passives.
life recovery from flasks is a very good stat, im not underestimating it, and it may in fact be a better 3 passives spent since you'd also be getting 12% life as well, but its just up to the user.

and you're right, RAT barrage gmp withering touch would be better than the typical spell totem, especially with quill rain, and MUCH easier on the colours. i never thought about that. thank you for the idea.

once i obtain my lvl 21 toxic rain i'll definitely be using that in my boots. its where i planned to craft the colours for my spell totem anyway

"
deaxi wrote:
This looks actually pretty cool! I'll probably give this a go. Have a quill ready, just haven't managed (and my luck is shit) to 6 link it yet.
Would love if you could make a small vid demonstrating it tho :c

maybe
maybe i'll make a vid. i just hate having to deal with uploading and all that, but i guess now my internet is better so my upload speed is actually good. i'll test it out

once i get to higher tier maps (only on 13 right now) i'll upload a vid of kitava or core or something. maybe the guardians when i get to do those.
Last edited by xMustard on Sep 9, 2018, 4:12:15 PM
aight i hit a pretty crazy map, so i made a vid of it. updating original post again
Good build, trying it now and it's fun!

Btw I think you missed a 10% projectile speed/6% dmg node under Fury Bolts?
don't need that node. proj speed means nothing since quill rain gives so much, and for 1 point it gives too little proj dmg to be worth.

gonna update this soon.
build is still going strong. not much has changed, but i basically have to always wear my kaom's heart at high end content (t15s and up). damage is still decent vs things like guardians, depending on mods. vs t15s dmg is still super great. basilica was especially retarded easy as you can preload the pods up during phasing. phases didn't last longer than a second.
Oh ok, didnt see that projectile modifiers affect the DoT effect.
Last edited by ReaperOwnz on Sep 15, 2018, 11:46:05 AM
updated the post to what my current stuff reflects. guardians and shaper down. it was a breeze. all deathless. had somewhat sketchy mods on chimera, that was deathless, but still rough.
"
its very easy to get lvl 21 CA and TR, because their quality bonuses are not required or desired. they both just give inc aoe, so they don't matter

That is completely wrong.

Toxic Rain DoT stacks unlimited, more AoE = more overlapping pods = more DoT stacking.

Attack speed + AoE + increased duration is best.
Make
Spectral Throw
great again

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info