Looking to buy a new monitor, some opinions would be appreciated :)

Looking to get either a 1920 x 1080 144Hz, a 2560 x 1080 60Hz monitor or a 2560 x 1440 60Hz.

I am SUPER interested in getting an ultra widescreen, but not sure how well it works with poe which would be my main concern. I know some games freak out with odd resolutions, and if i'm forced to play 1920x1080 pillarboxed and locked at 60Hz then there's no point in me buying one to begin with.

I have a 1920x1080 144Hz monitor as my main one right now, so what I buy will probably become my main one while what I currently have would be secondary. In all honesty, if 2560x1080 works then i'll 100% go for it, but otherwise it would be nice to know if 2560x1440 works nicely with the game for you guys.

My rig is a non issue as it has enough power to last me for days, but I wont bother getting a 2560x1440 over a 1920x1080 if the quality increase isn't enough to justify the cost.

/end spaghetti post.
Souls along a conduit of blood, from one vessel to the next.
Last bumped on Aug 3, 2019, 6:50:37 AM
Actually I am now in process what to get: monitor or projector. I got into it by playing Divine Divinity Original Sin EE and said to myself, that it is type of game that should be played on projector.

For compete games like League of Legends, Quake Champions, CS:GO.. I will still be using 144hz monitor with lowest lag possible. Path of Exile or whatever game is much better on 144hz than 60hz. G-Sync is a must. 3D Vision would be nice, but it is hard to get by.

I was using 40" 4k monitor for some time but it was imo too big, if game is not played in window screen. I guess ideal size for games goes up 30", maybe to 32". Its personal preference of course.. when screen is too big its hard to spot what is happening on the edges, too much mouse work when in Windows.. Even after reworking ergonomically gameplace its still was pretty uncomfortable.

Now I am focusing on those two projectors: Optoma HD142X and Sony VPL-HW45ES.

Optoma HD142X - price tag is ok if I consider how many games I would play on it.

In the end I will go most probably with Sony VPL-HW45ES. 22ms inputlag sounds ok (Benq has 16). It also has 3D and its SXRD technology sounds appealing, which in the end can change my attitude to play more PC games on projector.

When there will be enough horsepower in todays PC, I will go for something like VPL-EW300S 4K for sure.

Imo widescreen is not so hot due how our eyes and perception works. I see problem also in working with documents, head will be heading a lot of times to left instead to front.. I dont think widescreen is universal answer for games, but for sure there are game which benefits from it very well like all first person games.., while other will be rather suffer from that scale, for example Civilization games or games which are using mouse to command ..expect Total War games? :). I guess work with inventories in PoE has to be pain on widescreen. I still dont get it why stash and inventory can not be next to each other...

tl;dr
Imo if you have 144hz, and want widescreen and you are whilling to suffer from 60hz, than simply go for projector.

Gl with decision you going to make and let us know what you pick in the end .).
Last edited by Rexeos on Sep 7, 2018, 12:33:06 PM
Acer Predator XB271HU 27" WQHD IPS NVIDIA G-Sync Black/Red Gaming Monitor, 2560 x 1440 (2K), 144 Hz w/ Overclocking to 165 Hz

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004

Got mine for $600

They're currently on sale for $600 on newegg, which is 25% off.

If your GPU isn't at least a GTX 1080, it's not really worth it.
Ive had a few Ben-Q monitors. Solid piece of manufacturing. They do crazy sales on factory refurb's around the holidays that are worth looking into.

Im running a pair of XL2411 right now, I dont do any 4k or VR content and not alot space on my desk.

IMO: I try to "buy up" get the latest tech so I dont need to buy something new for awhile..

linky
https://www.benqdirect.com/monitors/gaming/el2870u.html

Hello!

You can eat some spahghetti following those reviews:

Screen:

www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-ultrawide-monitor-budgets-2017
www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-ultra-wide-monitors

Also, if you consider to buy a projector:

www.wisepick.org/best-gaming-projector

If you aimed to play in 4K then I could advise to have a look at BenQ TK800, it have tons of cons, and his main disadvantage is noisy when your play session is longer than 10h or so
ign: WarriorsOfEternity Scion Battle Spectromancer low life 8 auras | Domination (Standart) League | Life
ign: _Forsaken Shadow Dual Dagger Melee Crit 40k dps (68k abyssus) | Standart League | wasted
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Acer Predator XB271HU 27" WQHD IPS NVIDIA G-Sync Black/Red Gaming Monitor, 2560 x 1440 (2K), 144 Hz w/ Overclocking to 165 Hz

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004

Got mine for $600

They're currently on sale for $600 on newegg, which is 25% off.

If your GPU isn't at least a GTX 1080, it's not really worth it.

I have this and like it a lot also. If the price is in your budget I think it's worth it for sure.
I'm amused that this thread keeps getting bumped 6 months later :P

For anyone interested, I ended up going for 2560x1080 at 60Hz.

Takes a bit of getting used to with life/mana at opposite ends of the screen, but the wide view is pretty damn awesome.
More spooky necromancy.

Makes me wonder how people keep finding this thread months apart.
"
MattJay222 wrote:
"
dirty_tricks wrote:
Hello!

You can eat some spahghetti following those reviews:

Screen:

www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-ultrawide-monitor-budgets-2017
www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-ultra-wide-monitors

Also, if you consider to buy a projector:

www.officialtop5review.com/4k-resolution-monitors/

If you aimed to play in 4K then I could advise to have a look at BenQ TK800, it have tons of cons, and his main disadvantage is noisy when your play session is longer than 10h or so

Thanks for the recommendations here, exactly what I was looking for!

Check out:
1) Samsung CRG90 - 49" - 5120 x 1440 px 120 hz (almost as 4k pixel count)
2) Samsung C49HG90 - 49" - 3840 x 1080 px 144hz

Those have QLED technology and are fantastic monitors. I have seen guys playing Division 2 on it - its perfect for games lika that. You can check on youtube gameplay as well.

If you look for projector I ended up with BenQ 1210ST (BenQ w1120). Its good enough. I tried both, both are short throw pj - 2nd has a bit longer throw distance.

Regards BenQ TK800 and other 4k - they get cheap these days but input lag is usually above 50 so better look into this (+ count in an internet connection) and if you are playing new games be sure that you have at least 1080ti. Even Dark Souls 3 on 4k with 1080 card can have low fps and its pretty annoying.

There is new 8ms input lag 120 hz projector - Optoma HD29H. I have never seen that one, but its worth to give a try imo; same for Acer Nitro G550.

gl :)
Last edited by Rexeos on Aug 3, 2019, 4:08:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info