Mirkulas BV Chieftain 3.4 Build (1.Chieftain SSF Flashback)

"
Xanthochroid wrote:

For reference: https://pastebin.com/fFvrHBxS

I know your tree is SSF, which is why some Res nodes were taken, as it's meant to ladderpush without trading for more res gear, but most people here are probably going to be running trade league.

Your tree is closer to mathil's. But i choose to go double curse double inc duration claster and all the flask effect and area nodes which is a different approach. I covered why in guide
What is the general difference between Elementalist and Chieftain? The first have more clear speed and the second one have better defences? What about general DPS?
I'm considering league starting with this in SSFHC for Delve, any suggestions on what you would change for HC? How often did you die pushing 100?
"
SensibleJane wrote:
I'm considering league starting with this in SSFHC for Delve, any suggestions on what you would change for HC? How often did you die pushing 100?

Its a tanky build with enfeeble up. My deaths from 98 to 100 were totally avoidable

I died to

-Fighting t16 lich without paying attention
-Rolling reflect map
-t16 ghosted toxic sewers boss in double beyond map
-Bameth in double beyond
-ghosted martyr exile

Most of the stuff was due to flashback mechanics

"
gopotan wrote:
What is the general difference between Elementalist and Chieftain? The first have more clear speed and the second one have better defences? What about general DPS?

Clear speed is better on elementalist but that depends on the maps you run. I had no problem farming 10mxp/hour on flashback lvl 99 thou. Defenses (mitigation/regen) are better on chieftain. DPS on blade vortex is generally great with the right setup. I felt single target dps against uber elder maybe equal or even better on chieftain because you can focus on one element instead of two and you don't need hrimsorrow so you have a free glove slot.

"
mirkula wrote:
"
Demonoz wrote:

Ive been running a BV Chieftain most of Incursion and its my league start.

Pretty much only "Need" Loreweave and thats ONLY if you plan extreme endgame bossing like Uber Elder with it. (Which i do/did.) Everything else can be worked in as you go and still effectively tackle everything in the game NP. All bosses, All Content, on the cheap and easy. The Damage is there, The defenses are there, And it just feels good to play regardless of it being almost a Melee setup.

Vaal 21 BV is my only thing... I really hope theses a farmable way to get that gem since Vaal BV is an essential tool for bossing and lvl 21 gem really give you that extra damage to carry even the worst gear.

And personally i level with BV once i have it to run. Or ASAP anyway. Only problem with Leveling with it in my exp is it does require you take duration nodes very early on to help make up for the lack of early game cast speed and mana. Also the mana cost can be tough to hack at first especially in a tabula. Just run it MOM while lvling for nice defenses along with ease of play. And NEVER run Echo.. Completely wasted link for 10 stack BV. Running Duration in the main links isnt suggested either unless you have the damage or farming content where you can give up the damage just for even more QOL if you like.

Hi Demonoz,
I agree with you in most points and I also gonna really miss my 21/20 vaal bv. Only thing i want to add: I found spell echo extremly helpful in going fast. Added a FAQ entry why. But in the end it comes to personal preference on how you want to play char.

Well for me i found much better damage as well as comfort of mapping from Faster Casting Which was also one of my Boss Swaps to Ele Focus... Thus why i run a second Combustion on my Orb of Storms as well. Then Inc AOE swaps to Conc and Boom You got boss melting. While running Faster Casting alone is more than enough cast speed to 10 stack quickly while not incurring a less damage multi.

Of course there is only one little problem your going to run into and thats mana cost this is especially problematic early game. I simply take the two sets of 22% and 16% Inc Mana and both sets of nodes have % Red Mana Cost which for 4 points in combination with a Arcane Surge on our OOS you can easily hack the mana cost. At least to get started mapping with 10 stacks.. This is where you could run WM on OOS with COH Then later on with better gear we work out those 4 mana nodes as well as WM. This is where i prefer my boot enchant to be the .4-.6% Life and Mana Leeched.. The regen chant also works as well. This boot enchant i would also highly recommend for my bossing setup as well since keeping 10 stacks on bosses with Ele Focus in WITHOUT the Boot Chant is gonna be rough i will admit.

Keep in mind again i build for Extreme Endgame.. I plan to not only try and map as quickly as possible but i NEED the build to also be durable as well as pack the punch nessisary for thing like Uber Elder, Uber Atziri, Shaper, Red Tier Elder as much as possible while doing all this. These are ALL typical things ill be throwing at this build at any given time i do not enjoy running multiple builds anymore mainly because it still bugs Red Tier Elder farming out.. I also dont want to have to regret things on my tree or change gear around too much just to go tackle any one of those things. All the while run completely random T11-15 for Red Elder farming. This type of farming pretty much cuts out Shaped Mapping so i need the build to be as versatile as possible.

Thats why my ideas on how i put it together will work best for me. Thats why im starting with it.. there very few builds out there you dont have to change tons of shit around for it to litteraly do Everything. You have only two limits to my build.. Ele Reflect maps and No Regen maps.. With even No Regen Maps actually being completely possible.. In SC anyway. And even then dont have any Exp you dont mind losing.

BTW i remember seeing something about there could still be a way to double corrupt in Delve..Only thing is i dont know if that includes Gems or if its just Items.. Since they each had their own rooms in the temple. Either way ive been testing with 20/20 VBV and.. Still looks good just gonna really need those % Added Fire on jewelry to make up the loss of a lvl.. Or run in a +2 Duration single corrupt Loreweave.. GL!
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Aug 31, 2018, 10:46:02 AM
I am unable to see the items of the build. I think the item links are invalid.
Same. Links are all messed up.
I havent had a chance to fully understand delves yet but between this and arc trapper I assume this (with MoM) would be better for pushing delves and stuff like uber lab farming?
His BBCode was slightly messed up, I removed it until he has a chance to update it. Post below:
---------------------------------
Hello Exiles,

this is my first Build Guide. Its based on my char demigodhunter which i created to get alt art demigod on ssf incursion flashback

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/mirkula/characters?characterName=demigodhunter

To prepare for the race I created a char in ssf incursion and lvld it to 98 because I never played blade vortex before. I liked the char a lot especially the tankyness, so I also used it for flashback race. Even with mathil build out there I thought everyone is playing a trapper or bv elementalist.
I managed to reach 100 in 8 days (I lost a day or so due to some totally avoidable deaths at 98 and 99 ele reflect map here i come) and secured 1. chieftain and my first alt art demi.

Pro

- Tanky (lots of regen, life leech and dmg mitigation)
- Fast
- Cheap
- Can clear all content
- SSF Possible
- MF Possible (no uniques required)

Con

- Blade Vortex Meta
- You are always close to stuff you kill
- doesnt freeze or explode stuff
- can't run ele reflect without anti reflect rings
- no regen maps also hard

Leveling:

You can level with a melee skill until normal lab. You can try smite in 3.4 and link it to ancestral call and added fire or whatever you like (its only for the first 4 hours anyways)
To level with melee pick up the melee nodes in marauder grab Versatility and after that go to duelist area until life of the gladiator. Grab some weapon dmg nodes if your missing dmg. Then progress to the scion life wheel and up until elemental overload. (I posted a pob tree bellow)
On finishing library quest, get blade vortex, controlled destruction, elemental focus, blasphemy and flammability. Put them in your off hand to lvl.

Lvl with melee until you get to belly of the beast 1. get your spell echo and link it with blade vortex controlled destruction and ele focus and your good to go. After you get your gems ready respec your melee nodes to get the life nodes and avatar of fire.

You can also grab Diamond Skin if you run into resist problems or grab versatility and Precision if you run into dex problems. They also give you lots of attack speed to go faster

Bandits

Oak for 20% dmg 1% regen (1.5% with Arakaali proc) and phys mitigation.
I like the regen and you phys reduction for 1 point and 20% dmg for the other. But this is preference. You can also kill all for the 2 skill points, if you can better invest them elsewhere.

Pantheon

Major: Soul Of Arakaali
see below

Minor: Ryslatha for early game and lab/shaper/elder and
Shakari for maps because poison immunity lets you run that nasty poison on hit maps.

Ascendancy

Placing a totem takes too long so we go

1. Ngamahu
2. Hinekora
3. Tawhoa
4. Ramako

Links

Main: Blade Vortex-Controlled Destruction-Elemental Focus-Added Fire-Spell Echo-Combustion

Replace Spell Echo with Concentrated Effect and added Fire with Fire Penetration for guardian and shaper fights

Movement: in gloves with faster attacks link: Shield charge, Fortify, curse on hit flammability

CWDT: CastWhenDamageTaken-Immortal Call-Blood rage

Single Target Support: Orb of storms-arcane surge-combustion

Keep an eye out on arcane surge lvl so it matches the mana cost of orb of storms. Cast this on bosses and every 8 seconds to refresh your arcane surge. For orb of storms lvl 20 its arcane surge lvl 7

Auras: Herald of Ash, Clarity (lvl 12 should be enough if you use spell echo)
Curse Support Blasphemy-Enfeeble (defensive) or Blasphemy- ele weakness (offensive)

Misc: I use vaal righteous fire for an additional dmg boost here and there

Blood Rage/CWDT IC and Soul of Arakaali interaction

We have blood rage and cast when damage taken immortal call, so everytime ic procs we stop taking dmg over time and get 50% incr recovery rate, thats an insane regen and leech boost we get, right when we need it. It also works for the flask. 30% less shock effect and duration and 25% chaos dot res is also not bad.

Double Curse

When you start doing elder maps lookout for gloves. If you find a pair of elder gloves roll it with alts until you get the faster attack support. In trade league its probl easier to buy a pair. Now you can respec into double curse and run enfeeble on blasphemy and support your shield charge with curse on hit and flammability

MoM or no MoM

I leveled to 100 without using MoM and running with two curses: enfeeble on blasphemy and flammability linked to curse on hit in elder or shaper gloves that gives the attack speed support. I got a lucky corruption at lvl 99,8 to get ele weakness on gloves and I also found laviangas, so i decided to switch to Mind over Matter when i reached 100 to try uber elder. I never did uber elder before and was able to kill him/her/it on my first try in race (not deathless). After that I practiced a bit with the remaining sets in standard ssf and could beat him deathless ( see video). I think that taking Mind over Matter helped with the extra Health pool. But uber elder should be possible without (at least if you got Mathil skill).

You can also do uber elder without the corrupted gloves and with one curse only (flammablity linked to curse on hit) if you want to go MoM way. Its only 4% less dmg with one curse against endgame bosses.

Lab Enchants

If your in trade league you can try to get a helmet (pref starkonjas) with blade vortex enchant (you dont need the crit one). But I managed fine without one.

For Boots enchant you have many options depending on your preference

- AttackAndCastSpeedOnKill for clear speed
- EnchantmentAddedFireDamageOnKill3 for more dmg in mapping
- EnchantmentElementalPenetrationWhileHaventKilled3 more dmg for shaper/uber elder
- EnchantmentLifeAndManaLeechOnKill3 for more sustain during mapping
- EnchantmentLifeAndManaRegenerationWhenHit3_ for more sustain during bossing

I was racing, so i stayed with the first of the above enchants i got. But all have their use

Mapping Gear non MoM Version

Weapon

You can use any melee weapon here. If you want speed brightbeak is still bis (even in 3.4) otherwise get a shaper scepter with added physical as fire and spell/ele dmg

I prefer a loreweave, because you can run more map mods with it and 20% less ele dmg is a huge def buff. But all other chests also work. Belly, Shroud of the Lightless or The Perfect Form are also good choices (Use vorici on the last one to reduce chromes spent). I farmed loreweave in ssf by putting on some gear with item rarity to farm the rings. I had enough rings at lvl 94. At that point I also had vorici 7 and 1500 fuses due to all the 6s i picked up to reliably 6l it.

Shield

Go for life(elemental/spell dmg/cast speed

Helmet

I used th gull because i found it at lvl 99. Leveling to 100 was so boring, that seeing a haste shrine every two maps was a most welcome diversion. You should use starkonjas or a helmet with high life blade vortex enchant instead.

Gloves

Roll or buy a pair of elder gloves with faster attack support to run shield charge with curse on hit.

Boots

Anything with movement speed life and resi. If you get elder boots with fortify and movement speed, then you can put your shield charge combo in here.

For MoM Build Vicatrios are a good option
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Victario%27s_Flight

When it comes to uber elder Roots are bis
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Kaom%27s_Roots

Rings and Amulet

Anything with life, resi, elemental or fire dmg. Cast speed is not bad either.
Amu is a good place to get the missing dex.

Belt

Biscos for the quantity and the rampage is so good for speed clearing
For bossing use either an stygian or elder belt with life covery.

For Shaper or Uber elder fights, the Belt should have reduced flask charges so you can pop your flasks one more time.

Flasks

Sulphur Flask for extra damage and regen

Wise Oak for the damage (Try to get equal resis for max defensive) Otherwise it should not be hard to get fire resi on top with +100% from chieftain asc

Go fast fast faster

Any flask you prefer with heat suffix. You wanna use basalt flask for lab or if you go MoM use a mana flask here.

Eternal life flask with incr recovery in combination with the Arakaali pantheon and the flask nodes on the tree (Alchemist and Profane Chemestry) gives you around 2000 life per second for 6 seconds. Ideal for surviving the darkness.

Uber Elder Gear MoM Version

Weapon:

Shield

Gloves

Chest

Boots

Rings and Amulet and Belt

Flasks

Path of Building

My mapping setup 3.4 version lvl 95
https://pastebin.com/WpiwuyB4

My uber elder MoM setup 3.4 version lvl 100
https://pastebin.com/Kd639uqw

Leveling as melee
https://pastebin.com/2aTxWWxm

Level 75
https://pastebin.com/SeDz1Q26

Videos

T16 Underground Sea double beyond with more monster life
https://youtu.be/Q1f-rJ_mYYY

Shaper Guardian Kills (MoM bosskill version)
https://youtu.be/hXRI-7yWzow

Elder Guardian Kills (MoM bosskill version)
https://youtu.be/eDrqmQDKz58

deathless Uber Elder Kill (MoM bosskill version)
https://youtu.be/h2mGSsxNMcA

FAQ

Whats the difference between your build and Mathil's?

1. Mathil goes anger i go double curse (flamm combined with enfeeble or ele weakness). With skipping anger mana mangement is much easier and i can even go MoM if i use the corrupted gloves. And enfeeble curse helped me stay alive during the 100 push. In uber elder the double dmg curse ele weakness/flamm helps a lot with the elder portals as they don't have less curse effectivness afaik. Also curse is up against most mobs as it is placed in curse on hit rather then cwdt.

2. I go for duelist for regen/eva and attack speed

3. I use spell echo for mapping, Got less dmg but i don't have to take any mana node for the non MoM version. I also can skip warlords mark for flamm curse, which is a huge dmg boost.

4. I take both inc duration clusters while mathil takes celestial dmg cluster. Using Spell echo in combination with the two clusters lets me keep up my stacks at 8-10 most of the time. I watched mathils uber elder kill and noticed that most times he could not keep up the 10 stacks which is very important for bv. I mathil can't do it, how should i manage to keep up 10 stacks. So i went for the second cluster.

5. I go for all the flask nodes for more flask effectiveness. Profan chemistry for more life from flasks. I even use a non instant life flask for more life recovery. With Reduced charges belt this gives me one more use for wise oak, life and laviangas and 2 more uses for sulphur flask.

6. I use arakaali pantheon (its very important part of the build)

7. I don't use inc effect instead i get the blast radius nodes

8. I don't go for explosive impact instead i grab another jewel socket

9. I use biscos and brightbeak for faster mapping

10. I'm not as skilled as mathil so I needed a much tankier version to fight uber elder

so you wont generate any Endurance charges, unless you cast OoS every now and then on thrash mobs?

Yes thats right, but I had no problem keeping end charges up whit that setup (see t16 ugs video).

But if you want to gain End Charges more consistently you will have to replace ele focus with added fire or fire pen (whatever gems you choose). There will be not much dmg difference against mobs. Only less dmg on bosses.

Did you have any issues with mana? You have no mana leech anywhere (boot enchant is unreliable).

With spell echo and the inc duration nodes you don't have to cast your vortex often which also boost clear speed. So clarity abaout lvl 14 should be enough to cover that. Remember to cast orb of storms to trigger arcane surge for more mana regen. During leveling you should use a mana pot.

How do you feel about incorporating a scorching ray totem?

You can skip Ramako and get Arohongui if you wanna go the scorching ray totem route. Its certainly more dmg but you loose sustain. And placing a totem costs time, which i wanted to save during race. It also takes up sockets and skill slots which i was already running low at. In the end the dmg gain wasnt enough for me to justify adding a totem.

Why do you use spell echo when blade vortex only has 10 stacks?

You can go without spell echo, but then you have to invest more into mana (see mathils build). I found spell echo extremly convenient for fast mapping. Because nothing builds up your stacks as fast as 70% more cast speed. And you refresh 2 stacks with one click. I didn't need more dmg I needed to go fast for the push to 100 spell echo helped a lot.

What map mods to avoid?

You cant run ele reflect unless you spec into yugul pantheon and get 2 reflect rings. Avoid them at all cost because you will one shot yourself. I did at lvl 99 when i was to tired to read.

You should also avoid no regen maps. If you want to run them uncast your clarity and get a mana postion.

Besides that dangerous mods are:

- minus max (if you don't hava a loreweave)
- less recovery (we loose tons of sustain)
- hexproof (we are double curser)
- beyond (bameth, but the return is so tempting)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info