Alternative leveling system for secondary characters

But I'm a slow player (I'm not 20 or 30 anymore ;-). I only play 1-3 areas (maps) per day, so it needs some weeks for me to get to the endgame maps.

My second SSF character is now at beginning of act 8 (and I've played 6 days, 16 hours, ... with this char).

And the point is, in endgame maps I can decide which maps to play (if I get the maps I like, but that's another issue), but with leveling the 10 acts I am forced to play the same maps (and bosses) in the same order (and I can't skip them!). There are days when I don't have the mood to play certain areas (especially act 4/5/9/10) and then I play another char or even don't play POE.

I think POE should be for all kind of player types, not just the kiddies running through the acts like a berserker.
Last edited by Th69 on Aug 17, 2018, 3:50:10 AM
"
Th69 wrote:
But I'm a slow player (I'm not 20 or 30 anymore ;-). I only play 1-3 areas (maps) per day, so it needs some weeks for me to get to the endgame maps.

My second SSF character is now at beginning of act 8 (and I've played 6 days, 16 hours, ... with this char).

And the point is, in endgame maps I can decide which maps to play (if I get the maps I like, but that's another issue), but with leveling the 10 acts I am forced to play the same maps (and bosses) in the same order (and I can't skip them!). There are days when I don't have the mood to play certain areas (especially act 4/5/9/10) and then I play another char or even don't play POE.

I think POE should be for all kind of player types, not just the kiddies running through the acts like a berserker.

Excelent arguement!

Most people that argue for this type of "change" comes from a no-life "I just want to grind endgame maps" setting and where is my "create level 70 char button??". And many posts usually reflect this in one way or another. (and yes Im over simplifying)

So for the slow/casual players that have a very hard time to get more then one char to maps during a league I can definitly see the point of an alternativ way.

Thanks, I've missed/forgotten that view. Usually one gets so stuck with the speed meta way of viewing this.
Or maybe we can chance class for old hero ( temlar to witch), that would be faster.
Path of exile will never be p2w.
They would totally kill the game for themselves. Not only because of the effect that buying high lvl chars has, but allso because GGG has stated many times that poe would never be P2W. You can imagine the outrage in the comunity if they promise something they cant keep.
"
Th69 wrote:

Yes, very good point. I am sort of a casual player too, just died lv 85 on SSF HC, I would enjoy very much starting a lv 1 character, just didn't want to be forced to do the acts again (which would take me several days to finish). So I will probably quit for now.
Now that GGG have successfully fulfilled their pledge to develop the core game out to 10 Acts, I'd like to see them add some unpredictable variety to the quests. The grinding phase of many quests would feel much fresher with randomly generated maps along with guest bosses and exiles. A few random wild cards would do a lot to revitalize routine dungeon slogs like the Act 3 Vitario Sewer Quest.
I enjoy leveling my second/third/fourth characters, usually. It is fun to take overpowered twink items and destroy the content. A couple poets pens and you're laughing, or whatnot.

I suppose if you don't actually like playing the game, I can see why you'd find it an onerous chore to play through the acts. But the reason there's 10 acts instead of 3 acts repeated 3 times like days of old, is because they wanted to make the leveling process FUN.

Serious players can get to maps in like 4 hours on a fresh league. More casual players probably spend what, an hour an act? 10 hours then? But for your second character you've got twink gear, so even if you're not playing optimally, you're going to shave that time down a lot. You've easily got a couple quicksilver flasks of adrenaline, which is the most important leveling item, and then some poet's pens or a tabula, or whatever that will make the killing part faster too.

---------------

PoE has started catering more to casual players in recent years. But they're still a long way from just throwing up their hands and going full Diablo 3. It is a game created by hardcore gamers, for hardcore gamers. They still have that mindset, even if they have mellowed out on it a little.
"
Dharall wrote:
Most people that argue for this type of "change" comes from a no-life "I just want to grind endgame maps" setting and where is my "create level 70 char button??". And many posts usually reflect this in one way or another. (and yes Im over simplifying)

So for the slow/casual players that have a very hard time to get more then one char to maps during a league I can definitly see the point of an alternativ way.

I'm actually surprised PoE doesn't sell boosters and such. That's usually how F2P games handle this sort of thing, they deliberately waste your time with slow grinding for XP/currency/materials/whatever and offer you the choice to buy a booster to speed the process up (I'm looking at you, Warframe). No-lifers go through the grind, casuals pay a few bucks to skip it. PoE has that time-wasting part down pat, yet no option to mitigate it by paying money.

Mind you, given how expensive everything is in PoE, I'd rather they toned down the time-wasting instead.
Last edited by Sordid on Aug 17, 2018, 10:33:36 PM
"
Serious players can get to maps in like 4 hours on a fresh league. More casual players probably spend what, an hour an act? 10 hours then?

That's way off. I've been playing Flashback casually a total of 15 hours, and my one character is level-32 in Act 3. Some of that time was spent on crafting gear, but most of it was just leveling up.
Hello Dharall and Nevasca02,

many thanks for your replies!
Haven't expected to get a positive response...

@magicrectangle: You call it fun to run in 4 (or 10h) through the acts - okay, but don't expect every other like that. (Btw. the 10 acts are now 2x the same 5 acts)

And I have enough (high level) items (and together in all leagues >100 unique items) for other chars, so I don't see the need for leveling them till they can use them.
Last edited by Th69 on Aug 18, 2018, 3:30:54 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info