Alternative leveling system for secondary characters

***** EDIT 2 ****************

This post was created before Delve. In my view Delve is AWESOME, not only for what it is now, but because it has infinite potential. Delve can definitely be used as an alternative leveling system! (you guys pulled it off beautifully!) Once you have gone deep in delve and leveled the voltaxic generator a bit, leveling in Delve is very fun! It has ALL the nice "randomness" required to make every time you level a character a unique experience.
Now, the only problem is that we are still being forced to do the acts all over for every character we create!
GGG, please, do with the "acts" the same you did with the masters, atlas, and now Delve progress, make quest status and waypoints account based. Once you have done the quests in a league, you should not be forced to do it again for skill points. You guys have everything you need to make the repeatability of the game a lot better now! I am confident that this will increase the amount of time people spend in a league.

***** Original post ****************

Maybe I am the only one annoyed by this but I find it pretty boring to go through the 10 acts every time I want to create another character during a league.
Do you guys have any plans to create an alternative leveling system for secondary characters?
To me it would be a lot better if I only had to level secondary characters instead of doing all the acts quests again.
Just some ideas (you probably can have better ones):
- You could have the option (no one would be forced to do that) to start with all the skill points from quests, -60% resists, and have all waypoints unlocked when you start a new character after you have killed Kitava once (basically loading quest status from previous character).
- You could also start with a corrupted map item that is not consumed on use and can be used to open a random area on map device that has the same level of the character (up to lv 67).

Let me know what you guys think bout it.

***** EDIT 1 ****************
After our conversations in this post this is what I would suggest:
I really think an alternative leveling system for secondary character would increase the amount of time people spend in a league.
I think 2 things would make me enjoy creating as many new character as I wanted in a league:
-Being able to choose where I want to level and skip the parts of the acts I don't like after I have completed it once during a league (this could be solved simply by having an account based quest status).
-Adding random elements (as suggested by RogueMage). I understand if they don't want to mess with the acts, as I said before doing the acts once in a league is actually fun (extremely fun for new players). For secondary characters, they could create, for example, a dungeon where each floor you climb would increase monster lv by 2 or 4, but then they would load it with randomly generated events. Including randomly generated quests, rooms, NPCs encounters, secret doors, traps, optional gauntlets and puzzles, random bosses, etc. They could also add a random mod to these areas (I think is a reasonable reward after finishing the acts, this would reduce a little bit the huge difference of loot amount between acts and maps, which makes most players rush the acts). In other words, making the leveling process unique every time you create a new character. Maybe you should be able to skip floors if you want, since the point is also to never force you to run to the exit.

You may not like what I am suggesting here, if this is the case, please leave your ideas too.
Last edited by Nevasca02 on Sep 20, 2018, 10:38:34 AM
Last bumped on Sep 20, 2018, 5:18:46 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I agree that PoE would really benefit from such a feature, however I don't really see GGG implementing it. They want PoE to be old-school, i.e. deliberately designed to be inconvenient and tedious. You might as well ask for currency to not take up inventory space and be vacuumed up automatically instead of having to click each orb to individually pick it up. Ain't gonna happen.
But we'll continue to give that as feedback and suggestion. ;-)
Seems like a stupid argument

So you get bored of ten acts?....i think you would get just as bored doing anything else in the game.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

So you get bored of ten acts?....i think you would get just as bored doing anything else in the game.

Yeah....

8h of going through the acts is bad but 800h grinding the same map is fine???

Seriously, for the few hours it takes to blast through the 10 acts on your third char I really can't see the problem.
It would be a bad choice at the moment for poe. Simply because people would stop playing sooner.
You might not think thats the case, but thats probaly why they have not implemented it yet.
"
Dharall wrote:
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

Yeah....

Seriously, for the few hours it takes to blast through the 10 acts on your third char I really can't see the problem.

You know that different people have different taste for things, right? It is ok if you prefer blasting through the acts 5 times during the same league, I would prefer having the freedom of choosing where I grind after doing it once. Just posted here to see if people share the same taste, it may not be the case.
Assuming you decided to play POE, you are not forced to do the same map 800 times, but you are forced to go through acts for each character you make.
"
Anubis2108 wrote:
It would be a bad choice at the moment for poe. Simply because people would stop playing sooner.
You might not think thats the case, but thats probaly why they have not implemented it yet.

Maybe not. Some times I quit a league because I think I have done everything I wanted with a character but I don't want to create a new one, just because I would have go through the acts.
"
Sordid wrote:
I agree that PoE would really benefit from such a feature, however I don't really see GGG implementing it. They want PoE to be old-school, i.e. deliberately designed to be inconvenient and tedious. You might as well ask for currency to not take up inventory space and be vacuumed up automatically instead of having to click each orb to individually pick it up. Ain't gonna happen.

I like some of the old-school POE choices, but doing the acts many times in the same league is not one of them.
They could have made you do the ascendancy trials every single time you create a new character (which could be considered the old-fashioned way) but they decided not, probably because most players would find it boring.
"
Dharall wrote:

That one made my day! 100% behind it.

No thank you on alternative leveling. Just buy some uniques when they are available and power level yourself.
“We are the race of flesh, We are the race of lovers.”
Last edited by Frostride on Aug 16, 2018, 3:00:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info