GGG's sick sense of balance?

"
sidtherat wrote:
or maybe it is the other way around - some skill setups can carry anyone - poet's pen, indigon, arc traps, blade vortex, ele hit - these skills cannot be f.. up. anyone, any clay-fisted player can make them work. to the point it is like stat-padding in competitive games

people talking about others' skill - yet all they do is follow the no-skill lemming train meta

I've played every skill in PoE. Most of them multiple times. You are just one of those people that blames everything on other things but themselves. And that's why you will never get anywhere.
first - your char list proves otherwise. there are ONLY fotm (or past fotm) characters there
second - get anywhere? where did i state that i have any kind of a problem? i too can play fotm bs builds and in that sense im 'equal' to you in skill (lol). if you play fotm stuff to be 'better' than others - it must hurt a lot when some random pleb picks the same build and achieves the same stuff

third - again, your chars list contains ONLY nobrainer stuff. and you should know that anyone can play these things to the same result as you do. it is not you, it is the build that plays the game (esp pp/arc/vd that literally requires no brain activity whatsoever)

want to school others? show us how 'pros' play Sweep. then youll earn the right to tell others to l2p
"
sidtherat wrote:
first - your char list proves otherwise. there are ONLY fotm (or past fotm) characters there
second - get anywhere? where did i state that i have any kind of a problem? i too can play fotm bs builds and in that sense im 'equal' to you in skill (lol). if you play fotm stuff to be 'better' than others - it must hurt a lot when some random pleb picks the same build and achieves the same stuff

third - again, your chars list contains ONLY nobrainer stuff. and you should know that anyone can play these things to the same result as you do. it is not you, it is the build that plays the game (esp pp/arc/vd that literally requires no brain activity whatsoever)

want to school others? show us how 'pros' play Sweep. then youll earn the right to tell others to l2p

I don't see how bringing in sweep, which is arguably one of the most shitty abilities in game that also takes 0 brain skills to also use matters. It's shitty because of it combos with poor mechanics/being super outdated and low dps. Not because it requires 200 IQ to play or something.

Also I don't see how playing a "fotm/beta build" matters if skill actually exists or not. Plenty of people brick at uber elder/shaper with blade flurry, barrage, molten strike and a variety of other meta builds.

Also meta also doesn't equal require "0 skill", that's like saying heavy strike takes skill because it's off meta. Even if it can do like 5x the damage of sweep and nuke shaper to death just holding down right click and constantly stunning him.

Originality has nothing to do with skill, it has to do with creativity or finding new things. The most creative person can be complete garbage at piloting the idea. Every skillful game (chess, literal actual sports, card games, ect). All have "metas" and multitude of people all learning and using the same strats. Or are you telling me the grandmasters at chest are equal to a beginniner because they can both use the same 10-15 openings every game.

Finally, ARPGs are low skill cap game. What they test you on is tolerance, attentiveness, persistence, and inclination towards complicated vague ideas (builds and item theorycrafting). There is nothing in ARPGs that require skill anywhere near actual skilled games.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Aug 16, 2018, 3:05:38 AM
it wasnt me who brought 'skill' into the discussion claiming (with smug) that people complaining about balance should l2p. check the posts

balance is at the lowest possible. delve will make it painfully obvious for people who still do the 'laaalalalalaa i cannot hear you' dance.
"
sidtherat wrote:
it wasnt me who brought 'skill' into the discussion claiming (with smug) that people complaining about balance should l2p. check the posts

balance is at the lowest possible. delve will make it painfully obvious for people who still do the 'laaalalalalaa i cannot hear you' dance.

If the game is so easy where builds with 1ex budgets can do the hardest content in the game then you should l2p.

Literally nothing is stopping people from getting there since:

1. You don't need to theorycraft, spend hours testing, trying out many pieces of gear/gem links, trying out many combo of items + flask combos, different ascends ect. Since with the magic of the internet you can literally search up guides that use the accumulation of 1000s of hours between multiple/many people to super optimize most builds.

2. Trading is super easy with built-in API and you can use a massive variety of information websites including the trade websites built by GGG themselves. Sites like PoE Ninja/builder provide massive amounts of information at a click.

3. Massive amounts of information on how to make money with the price of basic items for most builds being generally affordable.

So the only thing left is LITERALLY skill and just playing the game. Unless you somehow fail to do all 3 above.

Stuff that you cannot beat right now isn't magically imbalanced. The game is a static difficulty game based around knowledge and some reaction time. Can't you beat red elder? Okay farm some more, read some guides and learn what you are doing wrong. You improve whatever marginal skill it takes to play PoE.

In a game based around farming 10000s of mobs with static difficulty, the complaint that there isn't "moderate" difficult and only farming vs hard/progression difficulty is kinda weird. Anything with moderate difficulty you would logically never farm anyway unless there are great rewards since it is inefficient. Thus you would farm the trivial stuff until the threshold for trivial content for the next level is reached. Thus you farm that level repeat previous step.

If you want always moderate difficult, play SSF or rarely trade and spend all of your money on progressing/buying maps (even if you do every map 1 time that at least 200 maps) to shaper/elder/uber elder as fast as possible and kill them a couple times each and then quit the league at level 90. That's literally all the content there is in PoE.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Aug 16, 2018, 3:24:13 AM
so you are the same guy or something?

you claim the game is easy (with broken builds it is - it is a no-brain-required faceroll) - with non-broken stuff it is not that easy

example still stands - Sweep, red elder, make shaper survive 3 and 4 portals. the AOE is so tiny and damage such garbage that it is not 'easy'

what you effectively say is: game has few builds, all other options are garbage by design. your job is to find these few and never, ever touch other options because game is not designed to be played with them

is this the game you want to play? with 10-build-diversity? with 'only idiots play 2h when you can abuse fake dual wield + stat sticks'? 'why play X when Arc Traps exist'? why self cast when poets pen do the same job but better? why play spell Y when blade vortex deals ~5 times the damage? there are few questions like this and if you play the thing in question - the game is easy, trivial in fact.

step away from this junk - and you are in world of hurt. Delve will make it 10x more pronounced

"
sidtherat wrote:

is this the game you want to play? with 10-build-diversity? with 'only idiots play 2h when you can abuse fake dual wield + stat sticks'? 'why play X when Arc Traps exist'? why self cast when poets pen do the same job but better? why play spell Y when blade vortex deals ~5 times the damage? there are few questions like this and if you play the thing in question - the game is easy, trivial in fact.

step away from this junk - and you are in world of hurt. Delve will make it 10x more pronounced

This is primarily the issue with the current GGG development.
They push content that requires running certain builds or set ups. It still requires skill to play that set up , as people can run the same build as me and play it better or worse.

Lets not kid ourselves , sid is right that some skills require much less skill to play compared to alternatives. But at the same time , some skills are meant for leveling and some are meant for endgame.
GGG is slowly improving more of the outdated skills, but several still have problems.
- an example for me could be ice shot - where the targeting of smaller hitboxes feels horrible compared to alternatives. and still , melee skills are much weaker then compared to any ranged option as most fights punish melee heavily.

Hopefully they continue to rework skills to make more viable , while tuning things that are too far above the norm.

"
Fnts7 wrote:
Because there is already another game that has mostly trivial content - Diablo 3. POE is not meant to be a game for non demanding players.

That ship has long sailed. This is the kind of thing players said back when the game had at most three acts.
Last edited by Velari on Aug 16, 2018, 11:04:05 AM
"
Miská wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
or maybe it is the other way around - some skill setups can carry anyone - poet's pen, indigon, arc traps, blade vortex, ele hit - these skills cannot be f.. up. anyone, any clay-fisted player can make them work. to the point it is like stat-padding in competitive games

people talking about others' skill - yet all they do is follow the no-skill lemming train meta

I've played every skill in PoE. Most of them multiple times. You are just one of those people that blames everything on other things but themselves. And that's why you will never get anywhere.

Haha, it is really funny when you say that with like 4 KB+barrage, arctrapp and multiple BV chars. I laughed so hard after i checked your profile and all the sh*t he talked about was there. :D

What should i say then? I never played the same skill twice in this game (except maybe cyclone cus you can do a lot of crazy things with that). The only meta build i made was a specter necro. Oh god that was some OP sh*t there. Never going meta again, i guess.

I understand where sidtherat comes from, i made a lot of promising builds, but the content is balanced around the broken stuff. It is quite heartbreaking when you make your own build, with interesting synergies, but there is a wall when you cant scale the damage further, because of the inferior skill mechanism. But hey, they are reworking a lot of skills, so there is hope. Im a little bit worried about the vaal-skill vs non-vaalskills stuff now. It is like you get 2 skills 6linked, WTF why should i use non-vaalskils? Vaal double strike is like a 2nd warchief totem, thats must have for all melee.
Last edited by Motopsycho on Aug 16, 2018, 11:53:24 AM
Stop hating Sweep! I will make one next league with Pillar and delve super deep!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info