Need some helpful hints for my Tree

Ok, am playing a Ranger and so far I am Level 50, and am trying to go for doing as much Cold, Ice, Freeze Damage possible and having a few Spells up my Sleeve would be fun too of course. For that I need surprisingly lot of Intelligence though.
Please have a look at my Skill Tree for my Level 42 Ranger so far. I have NOT spent a single Point on anything since this. Quite simply because of me not being sure of what to take, just yet though, but more damage IS something I do need though. And as you can see I have also this Skill that makes some of my Physical Damage converted into doing Cold Damage.
I also do wants to go faster Movement and do more Attack Speed, which is very important to me with this Character.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.3.2/AAAABAIAAABeAdEC0AYjCC4KmxUgGY4Z_hsBJJ0nIUQNYlpxoXGwdK5463sUfXWBrJXIm42hIqGkokCn1Kl5r-u1CLvjxKLI8NN-21XfmOHb5GrnCu2D7g7vevT49qP-Cf66_sg=

And here is something I made that I MAY WISH to take, but it does leave me very few points to spend on things like more Mana, Life and surely something I am in much need of, Resistances.
But am also thinking of going for the Skill Heavy Draw and what I think could be useful for me since I use Mana Reserved Gems is this Skill called Charisma Skill. Or IS that perhaps a waste? Better Skills to spend my Points on? I AM having AND using Gems that do reserve Mana and gives me Support to aid my Cold Damage I´m doing. Like the one called HATRED for one.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.3.2/AAAABAIAAABeAdEC0AW1BiMILgiJCpsUsBUgFfAXVBmKGY4Z_hqPGwEigSP2JJ0k_SchMHwzkjeBPd1DE0QNRwZMLU2SUUdSslPUVkpW-l1oXkViWmdncaFxsHLDdK5463sUfXWBrIIeiEKNfY2Cjb-OPI9Pj_qS85UFlciXBprxm42eoZ8BnyehIqGkokCjiqR4p9Sooql5qvirC6_rtMW1CLvjwcXB1cHYwuzEosjwyqnMBtDQ0eTTftgL21Xb590N3vjfmOHb41bkauTr5wrnVOwY7YPuDu969Pj2o_ba-uv68fsJ_gn-uv7I_94=

And here the last link is the one thing of Skills that I find I CAN NOT be without. That would help me a TON of doing extra Damage with Cold, Snow, Freeze and whatnot.
And are named Heart of Ice & Breath of Rime. That leaves me with 43 UNSPENT Points according to this Skill Tree Builder. So, any tips around this, please? What recommendations for me here to go for?

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.3.2/AAAABAIAAABeAdEC0AX5BiMILgqbDkgPqxGWFLAVIBXwF1QZihmOGf4bARvIIoEkiySdJyE2PUQNTC1T1FZKYlptbHGhcbB0rnjrexR9dX_GgayCHohCjYKOPJXIlwabJpuNnqGfAaEioaSiQKKjp9Spea_rtQi748HFwfPDOsSiyPDR5NN-21XfmOHb44TkaucK53To1u2D7g7vevT49qP-Cf66_sg=

So any suggestions of what to keep of my Skills and which ones to actually REMOVE perhaps? I haven´t spent a single RESPEC point yet at all. And as I said, I am Level 50 now.
Last bumped on Aug 15, 2018, 5:46:23 PM
"
Kundarin wrote:
Ok, am playing a Ranger and so far I am Level 50, and am trying to go for doing as much Cold, Ice, Freeze Damage possible and having a few Spells up my Sleeve would be fun too of course. For that I need surprisingly lot of Intelligence though.

Hi there,

first of all creating your own build is not an easy task without proper knowledge.

You should look at some ranger builds first and think about them before trying on your own.

I can also recommend to use path of building planner that is a cool tool to create your own builds and understand mechanics well.

You was talking about creating attack based build that can chill/freeze enemies as much as possible.
Well there is a skill called ice shot https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ice_Shot but you can also use elemental hit (requires specific jewel) or other skills such as rain of arrows and use some sort of physical to cold damage conversion (or bow with lots of cold damage).

But you can´t create a good build without knowing what skill will used or items needed.

You have made some typical mistakes such as taking lots of useless passives (inteligence nodes) to reach the desired nodes, ignoring life nodes, taking low effective passives etc.

just an example: Heart of ice is a nice passive but spending so many useless points is not the right way to reach your goal.

You should rather focus on reliable critical hits (with good amount of critical damage) and reach both high damage and full chill/freeze potential (critical hit has 100% chance to freeze under certain conditions).

Taking passives such as Primeval force to get elemental damage (cold) penetration, some leech nodes(Vitality Void) and all life nodes nearby.
You should get all elemental resistances from the gear if possible and so on.
Last edited by Rakiii on Aug 15, 2018, 7:54:22 AM
I have checked up on youtube to see if I was able to find any Breath of Rime and/or Heart of Ice Ranger. And so far I have to say no, I did not find any. But there was TONS of Ice Shot and something similar Builds though.

And I even think I do have and are using Ice Shot Gem Skill on my Ranger too besides Ice Golem, Ice Herald, Split Arrow, Rain of Arrows, Vortex and then I think it was called Freeze Pulse? The one you throw out, it pulses faster and faster until it explodes thing. And then a couple extra things I can´t remember. Have to check up and take notes since playing on Xbox.

I am aware of this being NOT an EASY task, and spending ALL those Points just to be able to REACH the Skills Heart of Ice and Breath of Rime is very likely and just mildly INSANE for a Ranger.
But this is also trying out things to actually BETTER learn this game. You can truly also call it Trial & Error. But how else are you gonna learn the ropes for a huge game like this. You can watch Videos, you can read up on this and that and so on, but the things you usually remembers the best is from your mistakes. Or is it? Lol. I sometimes wonder. Lol. I sometimes do the same darn mistakes multiple times, even though I do know I shouldn´t do them. And still... Lol.

Those links are only to show what I do wish (2nd link), what I do have (1st link), and just one link that shows the shortest possible route (3rd link) to take out from what I already do have.

Also wish for people to show me with the same tool I used what to actually go for instead when doing the road to Heart & Breath and what to actually REMOVE with my Respec Points I do have.
Is it even POSSIBLE to go for it, or should I totally utterly completely forget about it. And if it is possible, what kind of Skills should I pick up along the way?

Because as I said, I do have Skills that DOES convert SOME of my Physical Damage into Cold, which again also gives me chances to Chill, Freeze and so on with mobs.

Anyways, come with things I may use please. Throw it in.
Okay. So.... Quick little crash course in the passive tree, then a couple links that will be helpful.

☼ The smallest nodes on the tree are "passives" and give small bonuses
☼ The second largest are called "notables" and give large bonuses [Winter spirit, quickstep, etc]
☼ The largest are called "keystones" These greatly alter the function of your character [blood magic, acrobatics, etc.]

► You should get all the life nodes within a reasonable range. 5% avg per node out of your way is a good value to shoot for. 4% isn't usually worth it, and 6% is great.
► You should almost never take regular passives that aren't on your way to a notable or keystone. This was your biggest issue, and mine when I first started as well. Keep an eye on which notables are going to be great for you, and find out the best path to get there, don't just pick up whatever is beneficial, because it's all good with varying degrees of quality. The exception to this is 6% life nodes, and occasionally 5% ones when you don't have anything else that would benefit you more.
► Get to know the tree a bit, and at the very least, your quadrant of the tree. You should probably look at everything between the keystones "crimson dance" and "ghost reaver" just so you know what you're getting into and where you might want to go. Take 20 mins and just mouse over passives.
► Even if you aren't directly following a build guide, don't be afraid to look at one. These are [USUALLY, NOT ALWAYS] created by people who know what they're doing, and they're a quick way to get an answer about some things that you may have to spend hours number crunching or researching to find an answer to. Don't be afraid to use these quick references, I still do after several years of play.

Now... for your tree and build:

Ice shot build guide that looks good to me: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1989152
What your tree should look like at your level: https://goo.gl/H6NnHU

Engineering Eternity guide for Beginners series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEZtq6FSebE
I suggest you watch this just to get a little more familiar with the game, it's helped a lot of people in the past and I'm sure there's at least one thing in there that would be useful to you.
Timmy's FREE Crafting/Carries [Standard]: 2123458
#1 ES Regalias Mirror Service [Standard]: 2489414
^^ New home of Sorrow Circle IIQ ring! ^^
Alt Art Fossil Service [Standard]: 2332551
IGN: Quant_Is_Still_Viable || Hotdogs_Are_Sandwiches
"
Kundarin wrote:
I have checked up on youtube to see if I was able to find any Breath of Rime and/or Heart of Ice Ranger. And so far I have to say no, I did not find any. But there was TONS of Ice Shot and something similar Builds though.

The builds are usually made about active skill gems and/or specific items (not passive skills).

"
Kundarin wrote:

And I even think I do have and are using Ice Shot Gem Skill on my Ranger too besides Ice Golem, Ice Herald, Split Arrow, Rain of Arrows, Vortex and then I think it was called Freeze Pulse? The one you throw out, it pulses faster and faster until it explodes thing. And then a couple extra things I can´t remember. Have to check up and take notes since playing on Xbox.

Just remember there is difference between attack based skills (split arrow, RoA) and spells (Vortex).

Those things require different scaling (in short spell caster gems are getting stronger by leveling and attack based gems with better weapon).

"
Kundarin wrote:

I am aware of this being NOT an EASY task, and spending ALL those Points just to be able to REACH the Skills Heart of Ice and Breath of Rime is very likely and just mildly INSANE for a Ranger.
But this is also trying out things to actually BETTER learn this game. You can truly also call it Trial & Error. But how else are you gonna learn the ropes for a huge game like this. You can watch Videos, you can read up on this and that and so on, but the things you usually remembers the best is from your mistakes. Or is it? Lol. I sometimes wonder. Lol. I sometimes do the same darn mistakes multiple times, even though I do know I shouldn´t do them. And still... Lol.

Following any guide or playing it on your own it´s completely up to you. You will learn a lot from your mistakes.

On the other hand it´s fine to understand some basic mechanics / things you can learn from sb else.
I can also recommend to watch Engineering Eternity guide (Beginners series) posted by TimmyNBTrevor.

"
Kundarin wrote:
Also wish for people to show me with the same tool I used what to actually go for instead when doing the road to Heart & Breath and what to actually REMOVE with my Respec Points I do have.
Is it even POSSIBLE to go for it, or should I totally utterly completely forget about it. And if it is possible, what kind of Skills should I pick up along the way?

Do you really like having Breath of Rime and/or Heart of Ice so much? You can make other character (maybe witch) and get full potential from it without spending too many useless passive points but it´s up to you.

"
Kundarin wrote:

Because as I said, I do have Skills that DOES convert SOME of my Physical Damage into Cold, which again also gives me chances to Chill, Freeze and so on with mobs.

Sure but there´s more than that.
Maybe read more about how freeze / chill work.
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Freeze

You should start with the video we have recommended you before following build or not.
You should have better idea how things work and what passives to (not) take for the skill(s) you will enjoy the most on your character.
Last edited by Rakiii on Aug 15, 2018, 10:46:42 AM
Well, as of now I am Level 53 (when writing this at least) and haven´t spent a single Point of Skill nor any Respec Points. Am having at least 10 Respec Pts if I´m not mistaken, and having at least 13 Skill Pts to use on my Tree.

And going for this Breath of Rime & Heart of Ice (Which DOES give me a plenty of fun bonuses to what my Damage is based around) IS when I think about it may not worth it, quite simply because of the many Points it requires GETTING there playing a Ranger. But would I still find it GREAT to have? ABSOLUTELY no doubt about it. But it does take a few Challenges to get it right considering (As I am aware of within my build, so far) the lack of Life, and especially Resistances. Which I KNOW I am in need of, or else I am quite simply (AS THEY SAY) completely, totally and utterly F´d.

And having a look at the example of how it might should have looked at my Level. I have considered and I want some of them, and others I do not wish for THAT much really.
Not sure, but I do think I mentioned that Attack Speed and Movement Speed is one of (For me with this Character) the more important factors. Not THE MOST, but you get what I mean.

And when it comes to Passives nodes and notables I have understood that for each Passive nod you take you do get a small bonus even though it is the same number, and the most of course for the Notable in whatever kind of end it goes/meets and something. have also understood and if not totally mistaken, if you complete Notables, Passives dots and circle them around it all and connects them all you do get a nice overall bonus. If you people do get what I actually mean with that.
Some other games in this genre works like that too.

And when coming to understanding how Freeze, Chill, Ignite, Stun and whatnot from 100´s, if not 1000´s of things work. Then yes, I do understand perfectly well lot´s of it, and some of those things I just wrinkle my nose and scratching my head.
And how some of my Physical Damage into Cold and such on works I do understand QUITE well, yes. I do also have a couple Support Gems that helps me even further with this.

And even though I been playing for quite some months now I still do surely have LOTS to learn. And have still not decided to go for HardCore. I have played Diablo on HardCore. I have played Titan Quest on HardCore. Couple other games too in this Genre I played on HardCore. And in those games I done pretty well. But Path of Exile I´m not certainly ready yet for HardCore.
But will definitely go for trying one day.

Yeah, and one more thing when regarding Ranger with Bows which is mainly based on Dexterity, and do have some nodes with Evasion and such. How MUCH Armour am I able to wear without getting any Penalties on Movement? Should I perhaps not concern meself with any Armour at all, maybe?

I am also using some of these Gems that requires that I Reserve X% of Mana. Like Herald of Ice and Hatred to name some. Should I definitely go for the Skill named Charisma, that gives me 8% I think reduction for Mana Reserved? Or is that in the long run a complete waste?
You should completely ignore armour. Focus on evasion.
Movespeed and attack speed are better to get on gear than on your tree. There are things you can only get on the tree in sufficient amounts that you should be focusing on (crit stuff for the most part).

"
And when it comes to Passives nodes and notables I have understood that for each Passive nod you take you do get a small bonus even though it is the same number, and the most of course for the Notable in whatever kind of end it goes/meets and something. have also understood and if not totally mistaken, if you complete Notables, Passives dots and circle them around it all and connects them all you do get a nice overall bonus. If you people do get what I actually mean with that.
Some other games in this genre works like that too.

This isn't the case. You only get the stats for the points you put in, no bonuses for getting the whole cluster. The point of the notable is to act like that bonus, but you get to choose which path you take to it, and often taking the whole cluster is a huge waste.

"
And having a look at the example of how it might should have looked at my Level. I have considered and I want some of them, and others I do not wish for THAT much really.

Cool, which ones did you like and which ones did you decide you don't want?

You don't want charisma, that node is primarily for builds that are going to be using a lot of auras. For you, herald of ice and hatred should be plenty, and your mana leech should help you sustain mana.

One thing I noticed on your original tree is that you took a lot of mana nodes that you don't need. Those points should go to damage and once you take a single mana leech node on the tree you'll have plenty of sustainability on the mana situation.

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.
Timmy's FREE Crafting/Carries [Standard]: 2123458
#1 ES Regalias Mirror Service [Standard]: 2489414
^^ New home of Sorrow Circle IIQ ring! ^^
Alt Art Fossil Service [Standard]: 2332551
IGN: Quant_Is_Still_Viable || Hotdogs_Are_Sandwiches

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info