What's up with betas in the Metal community?

"
erdelyii wrote:

other half of me listens to ebm/dark electro/aggrotech/harsh ebm and i find this a good remix, although at first by title i expected death metal cover
Spreading salt since 2006
Aaaaah, dont destroy the masterpiece. THIS IS A NO BULLY ZONE!
Meanie
jerk
dummy
Ill tell on you
Oblivious
All the best trolls have a large degree of truth to them. In fact, the best thing to troll people with is the truth as it is. Most can't handle it - which makes the trolling supreme. Trolling by lying is just bad taste.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Sep 19, 2018, 5:36:27 AM
"
Necromael wrote:
"
erdelyii wrote:

other half of me listens to ebm/dark electro/aggrotech/harsh ebm and i find this a good remix, although at first by title i expected death metal cover

Glad you liked it! Yeah, it's pretty good, not just adding some beats to what is already there.

"
Charan wrote:
Alright, well with that out of the way...back to the metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jJUX5ANJwo

I listened to this for about five minutes before Doing The Right Thing and buying the full album.

The time signatures on this -- woow -- this is crazy good, five minutes in and I'm enjoying it. Love the soaring guitar. Might farm to it XD

Thanks Charan.

I guess you know this...

"
Crackmonster wrote:

All the best trolls have a large degree of truth to them. In fact, the best thing to troll people with is the truth as it is. Most can't handle it - which makes the trolling supreme. Trolling by lying is just bad taste.

Trolling, like many other fine art forms, is best done, not talked about.

So go back and observe.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I was tempted to link this version, which I've just found, but the original is still the best.

That's because Mike Portnoy > Mike Mangini. The original will always surpass anything that the current lineup of DT can put out. :P
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Hesitant to call mars volta metal (because it's not) but I'd never call it bad music.

I thought you were going to link to this, the most famous prog metal time signature fuckery ever written. BTW the whole album is damn good. Fun to piece the story together. PROBABLY Dream Theater's magnum opus.

I was tempted to link this version, which I've just found, but the original is still the best. Still, to be in that audience...

Oh no not metal, just signature-fuckery and expansive.

Listening to the first link now. It's good. It was all wound up then busted out into boogie woogie unwind. Ha, nice.

ed: Quite a number of people commenting on the lack of emotion and technical aspects at the expense of feeling of the music under the live video. I disagree that the music is like that, not to my ears. It's not Mozart's requiem, but it's definitely emotional, I dunno, maybe as someone with a lot of emotional range my experience is that nothing is devoid of emotion? Or, thoughts are inseperable from feelings and complex thought is an emotional experience in itself.

Not especially articulate there. Longass day. Basically, what do you guys make of comments like:

"Lewis Johnston
4 months ago
More showoff than musical character. I appreciate the immense skill level these guys have, but it just doesn't spike emotion.

lasher thirteen
lasher thirteen
10 hours ago
i'm glad i'm not the only one that feels the exact same way, it's like i need to listen to some raw funk and soul to clean out my chakra's after that . In a way that was such a dramatic technical soul-less circle jerk complete with orchestra."

Last edited by erdelyii on Sep 20, 2018, 9:27:52 AM
"
erdelyii wrote:
[..]
ed: Quite a number of people commenting on the lack of emotion and technical aspects at the expense of feeling of the music under the live video. I disagree that the music is like that, not to my ears. It's not Mozart's requiem, but it's definitely emotional, I dunno, maybe as someone with a lot of emotional range my experience is that nothing is devoid of emotion? Or, thoughts are inseperable from feelings and complex thought is an emotional experience in itself.

Not especially articulate there. Longass day. Basically, what do you guys make of comments like:

"Lewis Johnston
4 months ago
More showoff than musical character. I appreciate the immense skill level these guys have, but it just doesn't spike emotion.[..]

Sound only ever becomes music when it touches upon one's emotions. That is why the sound of rainfall is music to my ears: it makes me feel at ease. The Dance of Eternity might not resonate with them, and that's fine. People often feel the need to express their disinterest, especially on the internet (or otherwise anonymized/distanced); not much reason to get worked up over that if you ask me :)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Sep 20, 2018, 9:44:40 AM
"
erdelyii wrote:

"Lewis Johnston
4 months ago
More showoff than musical character. I appreciate the immense skill level these guys have, but it just doesn't spike emotion.

lasher thirteen
lasher thirteen
10 hours ago
i'm glad i'm not the only one that feels the exact same way, it's like i need to listen to some raw funk and soul to clean out my chakra's after that . In a way that was such a dramatic technical soul-less circle jerk complete with orchestra."

If you are not into technical music, it can sound like wankery. Many people make snap judgments about music and a lot of technical bands take multiple listens to appreciate, so that is a big disconnect. For instance, I listened to Spiral Architect several times and really just didn't get it until about two years later when something finally clicked. I really liked Nevermore, but some of there albums took time for me to get into. And, as Viper pointed out, the internet is a place for people to make smug comments about their disdain without consequence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info