What's up with betas in the Metal community?

"
鬼殺し wrote:

I don't see a guy who knows how to change a tyre, has a stable job providing for his family and goes to the gym regularly as a winner.

Is this the definition of an Alpha? I always thought they were the loud mouthed dumbfucks that less confrontational people deferred to because it wasn't worth the effort to pummel them to death.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
....with guest vocals by Hansi Kursch, lead singer of the world's greatest fantasy/power metal band, Blind Guardian.

I knew there was reason I like your posts. Saw them in Atlanta back in 2006, December 8th; I stood front in line for three hours in sub-freezing temps so I could be front-and-center for them. Me and a guy were able to see their setlist taped to the stage floor and saw "Majesty" listed as an encore, with probably four or so songs to go. We started screaming "Majesty! Majesty!" and got the entire floor to scream it relentlessly, and they caved - we got the encore early! It was amazing. Best show of my life. Got a pick from Andre, too.

Also, my youtube link from earlier stands. Cut the shit, guys
From one of the articles you linked, Charan:

"
The researchers found that while “dominance” was considered sexually attractive, “aggressive” and “domineering” tendencies did not make men more attractive. Which will be unsurprising news to women the world over.

A further study broke down the idea of dominance into two types and found women respond differently to both: whilst being assertive and confident is considered attractive, being demanding, violent or self-centred is not.

In fact, the most attractive combination according to the women in the study was kindness and assertiveness (which, yet again, most women could have told you).

"Which will be unsurprising news to women the world over." Mhm. Women who are attracted despite their deeper instincts to ugly characteristics in men and have sex with them wanting some kind of emotional connection/ validation/ relationship have boundary and self-esteem issues. Which is why the "pick up artist" Alpha schtick works in many cases - but it's hardly "winning" when men boast of multiple conquests of this type. People who know this respect men like this not at all. It's like bragging about being a good hunter when you're just bagging sheep in a paddock.

It was nice to see Farley Mowfat* cited in another of the articles that pointed out the alpha wolf theories came from studies on captive wolves. Canhaspants, I get why you'd think the similarities are there, but captive wolves don't behave naturally, at all.

Israel produces some euphoric music, alright. I didn't love the track, but I did appreciate it :)

"
Charan wrote:
I still don't see what any of this has to do with what music you like listening to...

Sonic cheesecake for thought
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Erd was correct to point out that it's little more than snake oil aimed at disenfranchised young men these days.
There's one other valid use.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

*"Never Cry Wolf" is a classic read.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Metal is just too much fun.

Finally I have a bit of internet here...
I agree with this from the holy ground of metal (one of the advantages of living in Germany... we have quite a few metal festivals here).
This year Blind Guardian aren't here, but they were last year I think. It was awesome. I got to see Nightwish among others so far and today there'll be Helloween and Alestorm.

As for the people here, just nice and mostly drunk friendly guys. Amazing atmosphere though.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
鬼殺し wrote:

...and that Demons and Wizards are playing too. Good lord.

Good lord. I really like Demons and Wizards, but they are a pseudo band that hasn't put out anything since 2005. I keep hoping for a follow up that sounds like their first album.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Also, what's with you guys are your strange obsession with dead Australian rock bands? I saw so many AC/DC decals and tents over there in 2008, and you're getting Rose fucking Tattoo for 2019. What the hell?

I wish Alchemist had been more popular. That was a really cool Australian band.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Thats another problem with the hierarchy...the core terms mean different things depending on where you are standing.

Usually I find myself standing on the lid of where I disassociate and suppress the fact that I am the same species. I find most of the monkeys calling themselves humans to be poor representatives of the word sentient.
It seems the thread is coming full circle and turning self-evident.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Go tell that to a jacked Manowarrior.
I dont see any any key!
IDK what created a lot of effeminate "metal heads", pony tails, man boobs, jorts and XXL band tees are the tell told signs.

anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Aug 6, 2018, 9:17:51 AM
Not sure if OP understands what "beta" entails.

By definition, the vast majority of males can be categorized as "beta". That's kind of the whole point in and of itself. We can't all be rockstars. That's why rockstars get to do rockstar stuff... there's something special about them, so we give a little leeway when they get drunk and kill someone in an auto accident.

Hell, even amongst rockstars there are betas. Ever notice how a lot of bands have one or two creative leads? The rest are just there for support, and let's face it, life is easier when you have a little help from your friends.

Nothing wrong with being a beta. Nothing right about it, neither.
[quote="Lovecraftuk"]I think the new meta is everyone bitching about the new league. [/quote]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info