Does anyone have a "stock" guy in the family?

So my dad's retired - he's like 55 and was a lineman which is basically running high voltage lines everywhere - on poles and in ground for the utility company we have here (PG&E) in otherwords totally not qualified to trade stocks. lol. But he's right sometimes. So I'm tempted to get on this bandwagon and follow his advice than my lamer 20th century growth account. Risky.

I'll feel a little pressured to invest. He's like "did you do what I told u" But If I do invest and fail I think we create hostility too. Anyway do you guys have that guy who gives you tips? What do you do?
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 19, 2018, 10:35:17 AM
Last bumped on Jul 20, 2018, 3:53:40 PM
Creating money out of money was considered a sin during medieval age,
like you said, if everyone jumps on the wagon you better first search for two other mexicans to pull it.
As far as i know you´re not allowed to look into Fort Knox to check if the money you created out of thin air is actually there. So take a good look at the cartpushers of the company you invest in and how they are treated.

No. Not anymore, but my brothers lost a tiny bit of money after this telekom advertisement campaign.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
Last edited by Lachdanan on Jul 19, 2018, 3:31:04 AM
A lot of times its zero sum game is why its not looked at too great. Like someone loses cash someone makes it but nothing is being created. Take valient pharm their whole business model is buying creators drugs/companies then jacking price up 10000%. One guy bets pro model and another guys bets anti-model (short sells) whoever "wins" gets the cash but they created nothing.
Git R Dun!
index funds.

If its good enough for Warren Buffett, its good enough for me.
Yeah thats what I do. Max IRA is in index. I'm conservative no individual stock
Git R Dun!
I used to be a stockbroker so I usually take my own advice. But yeah, for most investors, funds are the way to go. If you want a diversified portfolio, I believe there are now apps where they will tell you what type of funds to get in what % to pretty much simulate whatever individual stock/bond scenario you choose.
Censored.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
So my dad's retired - he's like 55 and was a lineman which is basically running high voltage lines everywhere - on poles and in ground for the utility company we have here (PG&E) in otherwords totally not qualified to trade stocks. lol. But he's right sometimes. So I'm tempted to get on this bandwagon and follow his advice than my lamer 20th century growth account. Risky.

I'll feel a little pressured to invest. He's like "did you do what I told u" But If I do invest and fail I think we create hostility too. Anyway do you guys have that guy who gives you tips? What do you do?

You gotta hold your ground. Sounds like letting someone else influence your money would create some hostility too. He is wise though, investing is smart, so give him an alternative worth respecting. I’d invest in some land. You don’t have to go big with it, like rental units or flipping renos, but owning land can be a job by itself. If you treat it right, you can invest in one property at a time and pile on equity basically as a hobby. Eventually, you own an estate. Trick is, never buy into a place you wouldn’t be comfortable stopping at, then every place can be a potential estate if you don’t want to or can’t trade up. In this way, trading up is less a strategy and more an opportunity that may or may not come by. Also mitigates risk of having to trade down, because you’re more likely to be successful at owning a place you could die in than one that looks like it could be a good 2 year flip.

I find Lach’s statement “creating money out of money is a sin” to be fairly self evident (credit is great, however). Makes a fun game if you play with disposable income, like Sunday Vegas in your dining room, but I wouldn’t make a living at it unless you just really love the stocks. Like, go in with $100 and have fun playing Daytrader Simulator while you drink your morning coffee. If you start liking it, throw some more disposable income at it, and you might start playing with a couple $1000 eventually, but it doesn’t matter if you win or lose because estates are much more valuable. They grow with you, while you shape them into your ideal environment throughout life, and then suddenly you can retire on an extra couple hundred thousand or provide for the next 2 generations. It’s really some fulfilling stuff.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Jul 20, 2018, 6:38:27 AM
No stock guy that's actually related, but a couple of friends who are retired brokers. One retired at age 35 with no need to ever work again from his investments, the other at 42. Both had a lot of ups and downs over the years, including nearly going bankrupt for one. There's definitely the potential to make a lot more, but you are exposing yourself to a lot more risk.

If you have a set amount that you can accept potentially losing completely, than that amount can be invested in higher potential yield single stocks. If you aren't comfortable with potentially losing a given chunk of money, than single stocks are probably not a good idea.

The friends didn't eventually succeed because of any inside info or amazing hunches, it was through continually doing lots of research on companies and sticking with the picks they made because they believed the company was solid. Even with their expertise and research, sometimes a company floundered and the stock tanked.

Having vicariously experienced their ups and downs, I personally wouldn't assume that sort of financial risk. Good Luck in whatever your choice ends up being.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
Take valient pharm their whole business model is buying creators drugs/companies then jacking price up 10000%

dead customers don´t complain much,
they also do not buy stuff anymore,
very good sustainable buisness model.

[Landlording]
i bought additional land for 2,50Eur/m² shortly after all this biogas boom, a year later prices increased by x4 , they are currently sitting around 12,50. And with 50% of population living in rent, by famalytradition aquiring 2 houses and renovating was a given 1year before the migrantwave hit, too many people -> rent goes up, houses increased by 40%. If i inserate a flat nowadays i immediatly get hit by 10 requesters only 24hours later, all 6 flats got to their current inhabitants by word of mouth, there is nomore free space left for "poor" people to live in.
The next logical step would be investing in Armsdealers, there is no way to keep that rate up without an "additional Lebensraum"-campaign , Africa here we come again, YEEEEE! I guess i abstain.

let´s see if i remember that correctly:
Aim, are you not the salty poolboy that complains all the time about the state stealing money ?
Your field of expertise ???
If you consider the current american waterusagerate, maybe investing in one of those Waterdesalination plants, they are very powerhungry, your dad can counsel you on the effect of those on the powergrid.
Just some numbers: Germany is currently at 120Liters per head, SouthAfrica sits enforced by max 60Liters/head, some Spanish holiday areas with lots of pools require 540 Liters and steal it from the farmers. The Hooverdam isn´t full anymore, and California requires additional water to wash away the poop on the streets. Summasummarum do a Raindance or get it out of the Ocean.
Whats the current rate for American heads ? Maybe i´m just fed outdated youtube vids.
Water and Electricitybills should increase while these companies flourish.
Americans abstaining from pools, i don´t think so.
State will have to step in to keep the spice water flowing.
Point is you probably know more about that than me, it´s easier for you to know when to pull your money out. Plus its your envoirnment, you know earlier when something happens.
Just a hunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
Lachdanan is actually Peter Lynch! Busted! ROFL

It is actually great advice for writers or investors. Stick with what you know.
Censored.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info