Hitting the Wall?

I feel like I'm hitting the wall in PoE at this point, at least for myself. Explanation and detail below, and TLDR for people who don't like walls of text.

Warning: Walls of text, and slight frustration inside.
Spoiler

I like playing PoE. But I'm starting to get a bit frustrated. Each time I make a new character for a league, it seems to follow the same pattern:
1. Start the league
2. Get to end game/maybe a bit farther then last time
3. Get stuck, constantly dying, constantly don't have enough DPS, not sure what items to get, farm, or what to even do to try to progress.
4. Get frustrated. Go back and tweak my tree, items, skills, all a bunch.
5. Get a little bit farther.
6. Start dying again, and get stuck again.
7. Get frustrated and quit the league/roll a new character, get to about 40, quit the league.

So far, I've tried searching for guides/info, etc, and I usually have a hard time finding it. I might find a wiki page. I might find a post that sorta answers the question. Or I might just find a badly made real money trading site with a bunch of copy pasted garbage ripped from somewhere else.

Even when I find "Budget" builds, they're still seem to require somewhat exorbitant amounts of currency to get running, that honestly, I don't have. The last one for example was talking about how
they invested 20ex into the build, but it should be possible to get something working cheaper.

The most Chaos I've ever had at one time was about 50.

So, yeah.

For reference, I can't really game during the weekend, and I'm usually doing some other stuff as well during the weekend, so yeah.

Honestly, I don't really care about speed, but I would like to feel like if I say, sit down and play for an hour or two I'll be making progress toward something.

TLDR: Getting stuck at the start of end game. Not sure what to do. Not sure where to look for information, guides, etc. Not sure how to get unstuck. Wondering what other people have done/where
people find info/ways to get into the actual late game.

But yeah, how can I get over this wall, and start enjoying the game more again?
Last bumped on Jul 16, 2018, 10:39:49 PM
I’m not the best player around but i’ll try where i can. Most of your gear has no life stat or elemental resists on it. create a hideout and get elreon’s font and haku’s workbench.

Either use these crafting benches to add life or resists to the chestpiece or the rings or get new gear. 5 link chest piece with lots of life and resists might be better in this case.

Link fortify and faster attacks to leap slam. Leap slam is an attack and not a spell so faster casting doesn’t help here. You will have to change the colour of the sockets to do this.

The melee splash gem is not helping your zombies, i don’t think. Likely need to use another support skill there.

Can’t really comment on much else, especially the unique items, as i’ve never played a necromancer. But definitely start by adding life and resists to your gear or get new gear to do it.

If you are dying in maps, run blood aqueducts over and over for a while until you get half decent jewelry.

Edit: yeah the helmet, shield and boots could all be replaced by better rare items. Get something with life and elemental resists on them.
Last edited by sithren on Jul 15, 2018, 9:48:57 PM
"
1. Start the league
2. Get to end game/maybe a bit farther then last time
3. Get stuck, constantly dying, constantly don't have enough DPS, not sure what items to get, farm, or what to even do to try to progress.
4. Get frustrated. Go back and tweak my tree, items, skills, all a bunch.
5. Get a little bit farther.
6. Start dying again, and get stuck again.

Yes, that's how PoE works, and how it is designed to work. Only a very tiny portion of characters, builds, and players can beat all content in the game. Sooner or later, almost every character will hit this wall. The only difference is the next step the game expects you to take:

7. Think about where your problems are, what you did wrong, and how to solve them.
8. Create a new character, attempt to fix these issues, and get a few steps further.
9. Repeat again from 2.

With every new character you learn something more, every character hits this wall later and later. But unless you find a way to invest an extreme amount of knowledge, time, and currency, the wall will still be there - the game will still find ways to challenge you. This is by design, and this is why many people love PoE. This is not a game about beating the final boss and being done with it. This is a game about seeing how far you can get before you can't get any further, and then starting over again.

Looking at your Necromancer, you are still making many very basic mistakes. Which is fine; the more mistakes you make, the more you can learn from them. Please take the below as constructive feedback, not as criticism.

Your gear has almost no base life on it. Your skill tree has about half the amount of increased life it should. By this point of the game, you should be looking at about 4000-5000 total life. You have less than 3000.

Your resistances are almost non-existent. The game expects you to always have your elemental resistances capped at at least 75%. Right now, you are taking three times as much Cold and almost four times as much Fire damage than you should be.

Your gem links are all over the place. Your minions have basically two and a half support gems boosting their damage, despite you having a 6-link armor. Not entirely sure why you chose Despair as your curse, it does almost nothing useful for you. You have no defensive skills at all, no auras boosting your minions' damage further.

Even besides the complete lack of defenses, your gear choices are very questionable. Your helmet, weapon, shield, and boots give almost no relevant bonuses to either yourself or your minions. There are countless dirt-cheap uniques which can boost your strength significantly, and just as cheap rares you can buy or even easily find yourself that will make you more durable than a sheet of paper.

I would suggest you read through The Twilight Strand - one of the best basic guides to PoE I know of. Pick one of the recommended builds in the guide, start a new character, and follow it act by act. Hopefully, by the time you beat the main story, you will have a good idea of what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong.

You can still salvage your Necromancer if you want to keep playing her, but it will take some effort. Right now, I don't think you have the necessary understanding to see all of the problems and fix them, and just spoon-feeding you the solutions will not give you that understanding. But if you play through the game again with the help of a guide, I'm sure you will learn a lot and be able to look back at your decisions and see what's causing your problems.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask. I'd be happy to help.

Good luck!
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jul 15, 2018, 9:52:27 PM
This is mostly a knowledge issue, for which I don't blame you because this game is extremely opaque and complicated. For example, you are wearing literal vendor trash in almost every slot. You can massively improve your character by spending just 1-3c on every item slot (including your chest, by buying a greed essence or three then crafting res). Of course the rest of your build is horrendous as well but this is just an example.

So to answer your question there are two things you can do:
1. Spend an inordinate amount of time learning the mechanics of this overly complicated game, or
2. Find a better guide to follow, and follow it EXACTLY. One with a detailed gearing section for budget. You lack the knowledge to make any "adjustments" so you need to follow guides down to the exact tree, exact gem links, exact flasks, etc.
You have very rudimentary gear. Also play meta.

Best thing you can do in the beginning of PoE is follow a couple good build guilds to the letter. This will insure success and help you learn game.

"
Which is fine; the more mistakes you make, the more you can learn from them.

Only people with hard heads learn from mistakes. I prefer to learn from others mistakes and prior proper planning. Like I'm not gonna smoke just to see if cancer is really caused by smoking. Someone already did that research for me. I say follow a good guide.

After he gets some experience then branch out on own.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 15, 2018, 10:54:58 PM
You can literally make a character on a 10c budget and get into low tier maps, which is enough to make decent currency from doing the chaos recipe. I'd guess you play the game the wrong way, as some of us are able to pull off high level characters without ever buying something from another player (solo-self-found for example).

What you want to do to boost your survivability is:

- get as much life on gear as possible

That also means: don't use a unique items that is not essential to your build if it means you lose out on another rare with lots of life on it.

- overcap your resistances

There are maps that reduce your resistances. In mid-tier maps, that surmounts to -29% to all resistances and -34% in top-tier maps. If you want to go safely through maps, being at 104% all-res and 109% for top-tiers is a must. Note that there are mobs that use these kinds of curses as well.

- know your enemy

Game knowledge is what will keep you up and running. Reading and understanding what you enemies do is crucial to learning the game. Sometimes, simply knowing that you'll have to dodge a deadly ability in a second is gonna save you 10% of your hard-earned progress.

- understand your character

What does your character do to achieve their goals? How do you deal damage? What do you do to assist that? How does he survive damage? Where are the weaknesses? This boils down to several things: the layered defenses you apply (reducing damage step by step) and what steps you take to increase your damage output. Killing things faster means less time for your enemies to throw damage at you.

That's my two bits here. :) Feel free to ask more questions
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
I'm not sure if it's just me, but playing Casters and/or relying on ES builds makes the game infinitely harder. Likewise I have tried many times to make viable Archer characters and find they are equally challenging to play.

I guess what I'm getting at is, maybe you could try a more accessible build and class. The easiest build by far imo is a Cyclone Jugg. It takes all of 3 brain cells to play and it will enable you to learn mechanics easier and faster.

Cyclone, EQ, Sunder, Ice Crash are great builds for new players imo, And the cost of entry is very low. As long as your resists are capped and you have invested in some life nodes, even average gear will take you all the way into red maps. From there you can get better gear to advance even further.

Good luck with it!

I'm Left of Right and far Right of Left.
Last edited by twittypoopcraft on Jul 16, 2018, 1:46:41 AM
As others said before your builds and your gear are both very weak. There are only 2 ways for you:

1) Learn the basics of the game and learn by making mistakes (the hard but more fun way in my opinion)
2) Follow meta build 0815, and faceroll everything without knowing what you are doing (the horrible way that produces all those global chat noobs)

If you are broke and can`t affort better items simply farm blood aqueduct for a day or two until you have the currency for cheap but solid starter gear (life, str and resists on every single piece is a good rule of thumbs)

"Yes, it is perfectly fair. It just sucks ass."
posted by Thaelyn on 12. August 2013 17:33
It's a complex game with a steep learning curve. You can learn a lot from following the in-game help (it's an icon down at the right), but apart from that the actual game doens't really inform you about anything. Therefore I would suggest to follow a well-described guide. It ensures you don't make (too many) mistakes, and should allow you to learn why the choices in that guide are good, what makes it tick, while playing it.

As others have said, I think a Marauder Juggernaut is a fine choice. It won't have fantastic clearing speed, but it will be strong with a good amount of life - as long as you invest in +life on your gear (the passive tree takes care of +% life).

I honestly think this is a good guide, very well-explained and detailed. You don't necessarily need to follow everything to the letter gear-wise (I used a different helmet, and eventually dropped the Brass Dome).
Double Strike Juggernaut

I don't know anything about Necromancers so can't comment on that, and you have perhaps made improvements already. But despite reading a lot on the wiki and the forum, I still had to learn the hard way how important it is to have capped up resistances and add more life to the gear. Path of Exile is very much a game where the final result/build is greater than the sum of its parts. But that also means it's easy to truly mess things up. Hence the advice to follow a guide instead of "winging it" :-)
Allright. Sounds like overall, my issues are threefold:
1. My gear is trash.
2. My build is horribly mismatched and poorly supported especially specific gems.
3. I've prioritized the wrong things in terms of character building, and I should have been focusing on more late game life/elemental resist and using better rings.

I guess I'll try running a marauder. Honestly, I prefer playing Necro for a variety of reasons, but I'm willing to try to play marauder if it can get me back into the game and maybe having more fun again.

If anything, maybe I'll have a fun character to farm late game with while I try to make my other stupid builds.

Thanks for the info.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info