Finally Did it!....And, no, I don't play the game normally.

First SSFHC league ever - I finally succeeded in getting one of every character class to Sarn without dying!

....of course, this is under my insane game play rules....and I am a awful player... but I did it! So happy!!

Next : break my personal record of level 40 for a non-Oni wielding character. May the RNG smile upon me.
Last bumped on Apr 14, 2019, 9:27:56 PM
so.. how do you play the game?
Ehm.. why Sarn? You know, act 4 is added to the game a loooooong time ago. As well as act 5 to 10. So why Sarn and why its so important to you?
"
bSun0000 wrote:
Ehm.. why Sarn? You know, act 4 is added to the game a loooooong time ago. As well as act 5 to 10. So why Sarn and why its so important to you?

Sounds like he'd never done that before in HC?
They way I play the game, it's pretty much impossible (for me) to get to Act 4+.

It was important because after 5 years, I got all 7 to Sarn.

And the way I play has a lot of self-limiting rules! The biggest probably is : ignore skill tree, as you can see on my SSFHC League characters. :-)
Nice work. My goal is 90 SSFHC and I'm happy. I have a lot experience and feel such scrub when guys hit 100 in 5 days. This league I died at 89.7 and said screw it. Maybe I'll try again.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 15, 2018, 11:13:39 PM
"
ChzBoi wrote:

And the way I play has a lot of self-limiting rules! The biggest probably is : ignore skill tree

/Whistles loudly.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
ChzBoi wrote:

And the way I play has a lot of self-limiting rules!

Please do make the effort and list them. You've established an interesting topic here but I feel like you're teasing it out. It's hard for observers to appreciate your achievement without knowing the parameters of your challenge.

Sure!

For those that may be interested, ChzBoi League Play Rules:
- SSFHC : which I was doing before it was even an option.

- ignore skill tree : probably the most self-limiting rule.

- 4 tabs only : all I've ever had since I started the game.
--- Tab Rules : split each tab in half, each class gets a half. Remaining half is shared for all characters. If character A finds a useful item for character B, character A must have space in their half tab or the shared half tab; even if character B has space in their half tab. Decisions must be made! All currency goes in the shared half tab.

- skill gems : only those found, as mission rewards, or can be bought by that class
--- I don't allow my Witch to buy a gem for my Ranger. However, IF my Witch finds a RaiseZombie, she can put it in a half tab. She just can't buy it for convenience.

- each map must be cleared, as much as possible.
--- Map Rules : I kinda fudge this one because sometimes I can't find all the mobs on a map. But I mostly go with the "if it's un-hidden on the mini-map, good to go!". If there are any extras on a map (a master/Vaal side area/breach/etc), those must be done/cleared as well. And as part of my OCD, I try to blow up/break every barrel/jar! [Look, I know that's crazy, but the very first day I ever played this game, I broke an explodey barrel on Twilight and got a Gorebreaker. It's now a bad habit.]

- each character can't progress until all characters reach checkpoints.
--- First character can play until defeating Brutus/Prisoners Gate. Then the second character can start. Once all 7 have made it to there, then I can go until Act2 on each class. Once in Act 2, I split it into Right/Left sides of the map, where the Right is completed first, then Left to the pyramid/Sarn. If any class is defeated, at any point, that defeated character is deleted and then restarted. I have to play that character until it reaches the others again. If all the classes are on in Act 2 somewhere on the Right side but in different area, I sometime switch characters around during game play, if I am bored with one at the moment. But once they reach a checkpoint, they can't be played. As I've never been able to get all 7 to Sarn before - I probably will checkpoint at Piety and Dominus.

- game play time limit
--- mostly due to life, I limit play time to under 10 hours a week. Yes, casual. And I'm getting old. :-)

I think that's most of the rules. I guess next is trying it with just bare hands! Regardless, I am happy, that after 4 (5,6,7?) leagues, I finally did it. Feels good!
I played D2 with a similar structure. I don't think ignoring the skill tree is a good one though... that's one of the more interesting aspects of the game. May I recommend replacing it with "must take spot closest to the starting before going on to any other spot." rather than not taking anything.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Jul 16, 2018, 9:24:22 AM
Congrats for your personal achievement.  :)

If you are playing with only what drops then you should play the SSF leagues to at least get credit for not trading. As far as your own self-imposed rules it's "whatever makes you happy". PoE is pretty much a sandbox arpg so crafting your own build is up to you.

Since you mentioned Oni-Goroshi (Charans's Sword) I'm assuming you've put in the grind time to farm Strand Beach for uber Hillock. That in and of itself is a zombifying task (not difficult, just mind numbing repetitive). I ended up becoming a 2 time member of the Strand Beach Level 9 Club in Bestiary League (after the nerf) and swore to myself "grinding to level 9 is too brutal so I won't be doing that again soon". Guess what, I have 2 Incursion builds into maps (one at 86 pushing for the 90 softcap) and the insanity urge got to me a couple of weeks ago so I made a new account (out of character space on my main account), created a 4 exile beach farmer rotation, and started the rinse and repeat beach runs cycle. Was expecting to need to go into level 8 but on Saturday afternoon at about 3 hours into a farming session this happened:

As I now know as my other 3 Oni farmers are into level 8 and no uber Hillock sighting yet this was an extremly lucky uber Hillock encounter. Now that I've killed uber Hillock twice with a Shadow I definitely advise to use Scion or Witch as trying to facetank Hillock with his minions mobbing my exile is stressful and frustrating to get at him (died many times). But ultimately it can be done. And as a further salute to Oni farming insanity when I finally got the sword I took the time to kill the remaining 100+ zombies (oh no you don't get to survive!).  What a huge environmental mess I've caused. I have my hasmat suit and gas mask {wow completely dead zombies are putrid and then some!} and will need a huge pit to bury all the bodies).  :)

Curious, why have you chosen to not use the passive tree (just like someone last year, I think, boasted that he could run the 10 acts with only magic gear as a self-imposed challenge... never heard if that was accomplished or he threw in the towel at some point)?
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Jul 16, 2018, 10:20:13 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info