Coffee.

One of my colleagues bought some back from Indonesia last year as a novelty office gift. No-one but me used it. It was really tasty. I wouldn't go and buy it, as the animals are kept in miserable conditions. It's a big "exotic" lie that the beans are rare and sourced in the wild.

"
Yet animal experts say Asian palm civets — solitary and territorial by nature — shouldn’t be kept in cages, nor in enclosures, because a single civet needs an average of 17 sq km of territory. “I have seen 100 luwaks kept in a half-hectare coffee farm,” Wild says. “It’s kind of a prison camp where they fight each other.”

Which probably sounds like fun to you, Mr Smiley.

Moroccan Argan oil (which is lovely oil), as traditionally made, is another one like this:

"
Oddly enough, the animals [tree-climbing goats] are actually an important part of the oil-making process. The nuts are incredibly difficult to crack open, so enterprising people poked through goat poop to pick out the valuable argan nuts. Through the magic of goat digestion, the shells of the nuts became easier to open, and processing went from there. These days, most of the argan oil used in cosmetics is harvested without the help of goats, but in some places, the traditional goat-poo process is still in place. Now you know.

I dont see any any key!
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
This is supposedly the best coffee in the world!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Basically, some little Marsupial called a Palm Civet eats the coffee beans, and shits them out, and people pick through the poop of these creatures to get the coffee beans. Extremely odd culture to think that picking beans out of some animal's shit would make a good coffee. Most normal people have an aversion to feces.

Fellow coffee drinkers, you might want to ask exactly where your coffee came from, and ask about the process as well. Because you could quite literally be drinking a warm cup of shit!

It's not like they don't clean the shit off.
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Because you could quite literally be drinking a warm cup of shit!
As long as it's caffeinated I think I'll be okay.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Yeah, that is true. The reason it is prized is not that it is in shit. They have anal glands that give off musk. The shit is incidental. Now we use chemical replacements due to animal cruelty laws, scarcity, and serious inconsistencies. No 2 butt glands smell alike. This might sound like a joke to some, but if you are making perfume and one batch smells different it stops being funny fast.

I never had the coffee though. I have my limits. I might be grungy af, but, yeah, I do have limits.
Censored.
I didn't start coffee until University. Maybe twice a week?
I owned a coffee shop for about a year in my late 20's. Waaaay too much per day.
Typically it is one per day now.
Once in a while I might have a couple more, but I don't need it, as I thought I did when I was younger.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
i was on your level of coffee addiction. felt completely necessary for daily life. even worked as a coffee roaster and barista for a while. 9 weeks ago i decided to stop coffee cold turkey. had two days of headaches, and maybe 7 days of feeling kind of tired, and then it was over, and i felt good again, and i don't need coffee anymore. also if you decided to quit but you want to ween yourself off, you can use roasted chicory root, it's a great flavor similar to coffee, it has no caffeine, and it has many health benefits.
░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄███▄░░░░░
░░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░▐░▀██▌░░░░
░░░▄▀░░░░▄▄███░▌▀▀░▀█░░░░
░░▄█░░▄▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▐░░░░█▌░░░
░▐█▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▌░░░░░▐█▄░░
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
This is supposedly the best coffee in the world!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Basically, some little Marsupial called a Palm Civet eats the coffee beans, and shits them out, and people pick through the poop of these creatures to get the coffee beans. Extremely odd culture to think that picking beans out of some animal's shit would make a good coffee. Most normal people have an aversion to feces.

Fellow coffee drinkers, you might want to ask exactly where your coffee came from, and ask about the process as well. Because you could quite literally be drinking a warm cup of shit!

that coffee is really expensive, there's no way you could be drinking it accidentally. i've worked with a guy who was a coffee EXPERT and he tried it and said it tasted pretty flat. personally, i would never touch it.
░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄███▄░░░░░
░░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░▐░▀██▌░░░░
░░░▄▀░░░░▄▄███░▌▀▀░▀█░░░░
░░▄█░░▄▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▐░░░░█▌░░░
░▐█▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▌░░░░░▐█▄░░
I like the aroma but have the taste, no matter the form - cake, ice cream, drink, etc.

Thats why i drink yerba mate :)
There is no smell I love waking up to more than fresh brewed coffee.
gmail sign up
Last edited by frankd6 on Jul 9, 2018, 8:13:23 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info