[3.3] Octavian's RainbowTrap Fire Trap Build. Everything viable.

"
Mentoya wrote:
Thanks Moritonel for that great post! That will help m e out tremendously with the leveling process. The video build guide by Octavian is awesome, but I just needed a bit more guidance with the leveling process. I'm more of a casual player and not near as good as other people in this game, so this definitely helps!

I still wonder overall if this is going to be a super expensive build or not? I haven't started this build yet, but I only have about 20 chaos from my initial 1st character in this league....If so, I may just play this build on Standard, just because it seems like a fun build.

One other question, what level did you start using Firetrap?

Endgame can get quite expensive, but you can start the build with pretty much 0 chaos and easily get to T16's.
Forget Fire Trap until lv 70+, it's clunky as fuck. Use Arc traps for levelling.

"
shahmat1972 wrote:
I know Arc Traps seam meta, but anyone try both that can provide a comparison before I try Fire? The clear speed looks pretty good in the video although I know it will never be t1 :)

Arc trap for levelling, Fire Trap for mapping/bossing. You can even use Arc for mapping, but I didn't think it was that necessary (you pretty much melt everything with Fire Trap, anyway).
Last edited by leafyr0kr on Jul 1, 2018, 1:21:44 PM
"

Endgame can get quite expensive, but you can start the build with pretty much 0 chaos and easily get to T16's.
Forget Fire Trap until lv 70+, it's clunky as fuck. Use Arc traps for levelling.

Thanks! I think before I start this build I will use my Arc build I currently have and just keep running the chaos recipe to get much more wealthy. It's hard to sell stuff in this league due to all of the massive loot that drops from the incursions, so it looks like I'll have to resort to the chaos recipe for now.

I'm looking forward to firetraps. I enjoy my Arc Trap build, but it's having a difficult time killing the bosses. I have to use "lightning spire" to help with that.
Is anyone else playing HC? I'm at a loss for what to do.

I leveled with MoM to keep me safe as an extra layer of defense with the dodge and evasion, but a friend pointed out that Blood Magic will remove all my mana-- how can I stay safe with Malachai's Awakening?

I'm currently at ~4k life and 1.2k mana @ lvl 70

Should I just skip malachai's and stay MoM?
"
razzle wrote:
Is anyone else playing HC? I'm at a loss for what to do.

I leveled with MoM to keep me safe as an extra layer of defense with the dodge and evasion, but a friend pointed out that Blood Magic will remove all my mana-- how can I stay safe with Malachai's Awakening?

I'm currently at ~4k life and 1.2k mana @ lvl 70

Should I just skip malachai's and stay MoM?

Unfortunately Malachai's is way too core to the build to give up - and with the biggest weakness being phys mitigation, I don't know that I'd take this build into a HC setting. You may be able to get enough "x% of physical damage taken as fire/lightning/cold" mods on other gear pieces for it to be manageable, but that's a costly proposition in most cases.

I know that probably doesn't make you feel any better.
"Accountability is the perfect counter-weight to ambition." -Dominus, High Templar
Can this build work with arc trap or am I better off going Sabo for that?
I respecced my Arc trapper Sabo into an Arc/Rainbow trapper, and I have to say, using Fire Trap as the boss killer and Arc for clear is 100% the way to go with it.

Gear

Tooltip on Arc unbuffed is what it was in my 6 link Tinkerskin before the respec thanks to all the added damage from the helmet, which is 14k. Tooltip on the Fire Trap is 50k. Both these are unbuffed numbers, without frenzy/power charges or the buff from having more traps out.

I can clear up to T16's with one to two throwing of Arc traps (two for packs with rares in them). Any boss that you can preload with Fire Trap just melts almost instantly. I have never had a character that both cleared and boss killed this effectivly in any league, so for that, I thank you Octavian :)
Spoiler

I don't often do posts in build threads but I felt the urge to it this time. I rarely follow someone elese's build completely but I found little room to improve on your build. Gear, links and passives all felt very well-though-out. It feels extremely strong even at my level (81, getting into yellow maps). Been gathering the gear on the side and I play this character when I have some time to spare.

Great build, great character, much fun, much appreciated.
Last edited by TMYNO on Jul 3, 2018, 1:18:07 PM
Ok questions i have :

1) Fire trap is a degen so ignite from all those critical stacks with the degen right ? the DoT is real

2) While i find MOST end-game bosses easy playing this build, shaper-guardians tend to be a problem for me. Anything defensive-wise that i can do other than dodging hits ?

3) I added a cremation trap to the mix. Since i only click it once in a boss fight the 2 geysers spawn and deal damage for their duration. Is that better than throwing a single fire trap in the "long" run ?
("long" coz all bosses melt in 3-4 seconds)

4) In uber-elder , shaper , atziri and generally end-game fights that DO NOT have extra spawns or adds, aint it better to swap cluster traps with an added cold damage support ? (200% effectiveness)
Or is it possible to miss the fire trap by not targeting approprietly ?
"
Zorgilon wrote:
Ok questions i have :

1) Fire trap is a degen so ignite from all those critical stacks with the degen right ? the DoT is real

2) While i find MOST end-game bosses easy playing this build, shaper-guardians tend to be a problem for me. Anything defensive-wise that i can do other than dodging hits ?

3) I added a cremation trap to the mix. Since i only click it once in a boss fight the 2 geysers spawn and deal damage for their duration. Is that better than throwing a single fire trap in the "long" run ?
("long" coz all bosses melt in 3-4 seconds)

4) In uber-elder , shaper , atziri and generally end-game fights that DO NOT have extra spawns or adds, aint it better to swap cluster traps with an added cold damage support ? (200% effectiveness)
Or is it possible to miss the fire trap by not targeting approprietly ?

I'm not an expert or anything but I've played it for quite a bit now so I'll try and answer your question.

1) Fire trap is an aoe hit, that leaves a burning ground effect. This build doesn't really scale the burn degen. It uses the dmg effectiveness to scale the initial hit. It even uses elemental focus so you can't ignite an enemy. If you are looking to scale burn/ignite you might want to look at a completely different build. edit: Ignites do not stack by default. You can only have one ignite on a target at a time.

2) I've only done Hydra so far. Getting levels (to get a higher life pool) and moving out of stuff is basically the best you can do. Don't forget to use your flasks! You can easily have 100% uptime on your flasks. Wise Oak will help against elemental damage and a Basalt Flask is helpful against physical damage. Don't forget that you can for example put in a Ruby flask if you are fighting a boss with scary fire damage. edit: I am currently sitting at around 5800 health and I should be a bit over 6200 health after a few more levels.

3) This build uses (more like abuses) the fire traps effectiveness on sources of added damage. Single target is not a problem, most bosses dies within seconds. The build uses Flamethrower trap to help single target and clear areas (very useful in scary incursions). The Bear trap is to hinder and add the debuff (take 15% increased damage from traps) on bosses. It really does not need Cremation trap in my opinion, you're better of spamming that Fire trap.

4) Cluster traps adds more traps that can hit one target. It is a huge increase in both single target and area clear, I would not replace Cluster trap with anything. Using a gem link to add more elemental damage should be a bit overkill. You should have something like 6-7 Abyss jewels and Malachai's Awakening.

Hope these answers were helpful.
Last edited by TMYNO on Jul 7, 2018, 8:32:12 AM
i cant figure out pastebin for the passive tree lol!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info