Why do we have ID and TP scrolls?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1246208

You will never have to see another portal scroll or wisdom scroll on the ground again (but alt will always reveal them)
Last edited by ThunderBiome on Jun 21, 2018, 6:11:15 PM
They’re a drawback to super strict filtering. If you want to play clearspeed with a crazy strict filter you have to buy wisdoms and TPs from other players on occasion.

Also, if items dropped IDed, the filters would get even crazier.
Last edited by DichotomousThree on Jun 21, 2018, 6:28:12 PM
I dont know if I agree with it, but my answer as a game designer would be immersion. You are supposed to feel like you are a character finding a rare magic item, which you use a special scroll to unveil, and then know the value of your treasure.

To be honest, Im ok with scroll of wisdom, I just wish rares would drop more rarely, and 98% of them didnt have random stats that make you drop them again.

I dont want more items or better or stronger, it just feels a little funny when every 20 feet you find a 'rare' item that no one in their right mind would ever use. Why bother making it drop?

"
ThunderBiome wrote:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1246208

You will never have to see another portal scroll or wisdom scroll on the ground again (but alt will always reveal them)

Actually using a modified version of his filter got me to thinking that these scrolls serve no purpose in game. I still need to keep them in my inventory and if i hide them then i either need to hit alt or trade for them
"
They’re a drawback to super strict filtering. If you want to play clearspeed with a crazy strict filter you have to buy wisdoms and TPs from other players on occasion.

Also, if items dropped IDed, the filters would get even crazier.

I'm not suggesting that all items drop ID'd just that there be a button above the inventory to click to get the same functionality. but without having to pick them up or store them
You play scratch lotto every map. Thats fun for some people. Does nothing for me until I started playing SSF. Then it's not like lotto but hopefully I can get max res with next find.

When i traded I didnt even pick up yellows.

TP scrolls are retarded. No reason for them but busy work. Should be deleted.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 21, 2018, 7:50:17 PM
It's a very outdated mechanic. I'm not super annoyed that they still exist but I wouldn't miss them either. I'd rather have a deckard cain waiting in town to auto identify my stuff. The scrolls don't really server any usefull game decisions. It's not like they are rare so if you have to choose when to use them and when not to.

They are very common drops, not worthy anything, and you can get them both easier by picking up other items like scraps, stones, trans, and maybe some others im forgetting. I just stock pile a bunch of those for a week or 2 then sell them all for a few thousand wisdom scrolls then vendor the scrolls for portal ones.. and I'm set for the league.

It's just one of those carry overs from older games but doesn't really make much sense in a game like this. It's probably not a big enough deal to want to find some other solution though.
A better way for the wisdoms scrolls is to have items on the ground unidentified and once you put them in the inventory they become id'd. That way it would keep some of the resource cluttering potential of having everything id'd on the ground and get rid of the stupid scrolls. As for the portal, I get a gem as soon as I can.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Idea was “borrowed “ from Diablo.
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
They could introduce an npc that identifies your stuff or a portal icon (not a scroll or a gem) with a delayed teleport.

But I kinda like the oldchool way of doing things in this game.
Same goes with trading.

Easier/faster isn't necessarily better.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info