Why do we have ID and TP scrolls?

What purpose do they hold in a modern ARPG? Why should we need to pick them up and store them in our inventory. They feel like an unnecessary D2 relic at this point when they could be things we can do without the physical items.

EDIT: My suggestion is that the functionality to perform these actions be buttons on the action bar or in the inventory screen. And so drops will stay the same - we just dont have to worry about these little annoyances.
Last edited by FrodoFraggins on Jun 21, 2018, 7:41:34 PM
Last bumped on Jun 23, 2018, 4:36:09 AM
"
FrodoFraggins wrote:
What purpose do they hold in a modern ARPG? Why should we need to pick them up and store them in our inventory. They feel like an unnecessary D2 relic at this point when they could be things we can do without the physical items.

I like clicking
well the portal gem is a thing

I guess we just need an ID gem lol
I dont see any any key!
We have portal scrolls so there's an item, quick to use, no hotkey required, that can teleport you home. If you do want a "reusable" town portal get a portal gem. You will notice that it doesn't feel nearly as good as using a scroll. Consuming is fun.

Also, identification is required for multiple reasons:
- Identified items clutter the screen immensely, and overload the screen with mostly pointless information.
- Using currency is fun. Each wisdom scroll is like a lottery ticket.
- Wisdom scrolls teach players not to look at items while they are on the ground, but to grab them and look at them later, in town. This makes sure gameplay doesn't get interrupted every 5 seconds.

All in all they exist because they fit in PoE better than the alternatives. Using currency to do stuff. They are the most used currency items by far.
Last edited by Bardharr on Jun 21, 2018, 3:10:29 PM
"
Bardharr wrote:
We have portal scrolls so there's an item, quick to use, no hotkey required, that can teleport you home. If you do want a "reusable" town portal get a portal gem. You will notice that it doesn't feel nearly as good as using a scroll. Consuming is fun.

Also, identification is required for multiple reasons:
- Identified items clutter the screen immensely, and overload the screen with mostly pointless information.
- Using currency is fun. Each wisdom scroll is like a lottery ticket.
- Wisdom scrolls teach players not to look at items while they are on the ground, but to grab them and look at them later, in town. This makes sure gameplay doesn't get interrupted every 5 seconds.

All in all they exist because they fit in PoE better than the alternatives. Using currency to do stuff. They are the most used currency items by far.

both TP and ID could have buttons over the inventory when you open it. no need to loot or store items for them
Last edited by FrodoFraggins on Jun 21, 2018, 3:15:10 PM
You know the reason. They didn't want a "modern" ARPG. They specifically wanted a throwback. And it worked. All the way to the bank. "Modern" isn't always better.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
You know the reason. They didn't want a "modern" ARPG. They specifically wanted a throwback. And it worked. All the way to the bank. "Modern" isn't always better.

Auto-sorting inventory / stash says Hi! :P

"Wealth in a game is measured by the amount of fun, joy and entertainment you can get out of it".
-Mythabril
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

POE is certainly a more improved Diablo 2. They didn't keep many of the bad designs of D2 such as stamina or belts holding all those pots you have to keep picking up. ID and TP scrolls aren't really justifiable or necessary to maintain the retro feel.
because it's poe not diablo3
"
shaunika90 wrote:
because it's poe not diablo3

I know the following sentence doesn't make sense in all contexts, but I'm going to type it anyway. Diablo is not the Devil. Not everything D3 did was evil or horrible. I could absolutely live without any Portal or Wisdom scrolls. On the other hand it is not the top of my wish list either so... Meh

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info