[3.2] HoWAbout Occultist. Shaper/Uber Elder, Minotaur flaskless on 1L!!

"
Giammafix wrote:
well, you may take the 4% reduced mana reservation node on the opposite side of chaos inoculation, or take the 3 points for charisma (right under the fertile mind jewel slot, on the right side of the tree)
taking these points, I might run herald of thunder, wrath and discipline all together linked with enlighten on my character, plus clarity in a different socket of course.
doing this would make me give up empower, and therefore have a bit less damage, and since I already have 12k ES I think it's enough :)
as you said, the scion has lower ES than the occultist, but could have more dps with similar gear, you should try and see on path of building, because you might not need all those 4 mana reservation nodes to make it work!
I'm not using the aura calculation tool at the moment but I think it's reliable; anyway, PoB is still perfectly accurate regarding the mana reservation

Can confirm that with the Charisma node, and the 4% node allows me to run all three auras and HoT. However, I have to take the Empower off unfortunately which lessens my damage by like 2k (likely to be more once I level up more I would assume. I thought Empower gave levels to Enlighten, silly mistake. The more multiplier to Wrath and HoT that Empower gives reserves too much mana.

Maybe it would work if I went for the Charisma nodes too, but six points doesn't seem to worthwhile investment so far. Maybe at level 100 when I have surplus of points to use.

Also, why do you think Scion would provide more damage than Occultist? I'm playing it for a completely arbitrary reason - Scion's character model looks better than Witch haha.

"
ryatwo wrote:

Can confirm that with the Charisma node, and the 4% node allows me to run all three auras and HoT. However, I have to take the Empower off unfortunately which lessens my damage by like 2k (likely to be more once I level up more I would assume. I thought Empower gave levels to Enlighten, silly mistake. The more multiplier to Wrath and HoT that Empower gives reserves too much mana.

Maybe it would work if I went for the Charisma nodes too, but six points doesn't seem to worthwhile investment so far. Maybe at level 100 when I have surplus of points to use.

Also, why do you think Scion would provide more damage than Occultist? I'm playing it for a completely arbitrary reason - Scion's character model looks better than Witch haha.

ahah, I've never played MS as scion, but I could see from her skill tree that she has access to more damage nodes than the witch, and the raider + champion ascendancy is pretty offensive (you can have intimidate, frenzy charges and onslaught on single target, which is really good for bosses).
on the other way, the occultist has the same mechanic as intimidatw with malediction, more energy shield, stun immunity, sustain and clearspeed for delving (thanks to profane bloom) but you also can take the occultist ascendancy for stun immunity if you play scion.
of course, the difference in terms of dps and tankiness is noticeable with similar gear, otherwise a scion with better ES items can be tankier than an occultist, and an occultist with good gear can beat the scion's damage.

I have also gave up on taking those mana reservation nodes to run an additional aura, since as you said, they gave me no benefit at all, or reduced damage for extra energy shield which I didn't need at this point.
Last edited by Giammafix on Oct 22, 2018, 6:00:13 AM
Another question, for the Watcher's Eye jewel how much better is the Penetration variant compared to the Increased Lightning Damage? I would do the calculations in PoB, but for some reason the Increased Lightning Damage mod is not on my PoB.

EDIT: Had someone so the calculations in POB, and apparently it's only a 2k difference. Can someone confirm?
Last edited by ryatwo on Oct 23, 2018, 5:39:24 AM
Regarding the aura's, isnt Vertex Vaal Mask BIS for this ?
"
ryatwo wrote:
Another question, for the Watcher's Eye jewel how much better is the Penetration variant compared to the Increased Lightning Damage? I would do the calculations in PoB, but for some reason the Increased Lightning Damage mod is not on my PoB.

EDIT: Had someone so the calculations in POB, and apparently it's only a 2k difference. Can someone confirm?

I manually edit the mod on my jewel to see the difference between penetration and damage.
It depends on your rolls, in my case, using the 15% penetration one vs a 60% increased lightning damage (so, both roll maxed) gives me 60k dps more total (so 6k for each fired projectile), after calculating the average chance to hit (0,47) not counting the melee strike.
To beat a min-rolled 10% penetration jewel you have to use a lightning damage jewel with more than 50% damage: but also consider that a penetration jewel could be easier to reroll with divine orbs, while it might take many tries to reroll a low lightning damage one.
Of course if you can find a jewel with clarity ES and lightning damage mod, and it's cheaper than a penetration one, go for it.
Last edited by Giammafix on Oct 23, 2018, 6:54:51 AM
"
Virevly wrote:
Regarding the aura's, isnt Vertex Vaal Mask BIS for this ?

lol good luck finding one with the additional projectiles enchant, at the moment there isn't even one listed for trade.
usually having 2 or 3 projectiles on a rare hubris would be better, especially if you can have intelligence on it, or best of the best, enemies have -9% lightning resistance
Last edited by Giammafix on Oct 23, 2018, 6:45:16 AM
Would like to thank author for this awesome build, very solid and balanced. Did my first uber elder with it and all delve bosses. Also thx Giammafix for all that advices and help!
"
knehtq wrote:
Would like to thank author for this awesome build, very solid and balanced. Did my first uber elder with it and all delve bosses. Also thx Giammafix for all that advices and help!

congrats for your uber elder kill! :)
I'm always glad to help, and with a bit practice, if you're up to it, you can even farm the uber elder on a daily basis with this build
Last edited by Giammafix on Oct 23, 2018, 6:22:49 PM
"
Giammafix wrote:
I manually edit the mod on my jewel to see the difference between penetration and damage.
It depends on your rolls, in my case, using the 15% penetration one vs a 60% increased lightning damage (so, both roll maxed) gives me 60k dps more total (so 6k for each fired projectile), after calculating the average chance to hit (0,47) not counting the melee strike.
To beat a min-rolled 10% penetration jewel you have to use a lightning damage jewel with more than 50% damage: but also consider that a penetration jewel could be easier to reroll with divine orbs, while it might take many tries to reroll a low lightning damage one.
Of course if you can find a jewel with clarity ES and lightning damage mod, and it's cheaper than a penetration one, go for it.

Thank you for the detailed response. I was way off with my PoB calculations!

Luckily I held off buying a 50% increased lightning damage one last night for 23 exalts, and managed to buy a perfectly-rolled 15% penetration Watcher's Eye for a fairly steep 30 exalts (still cheaper than what is currently available in Delve).

"
knehtq wrote:
Also thx Giammafix for all that advices and help!

Couldn't agree more! Giammafix has been very helpful and gives very detailed responses each and every time.
"
ryatwo wrote:

Thank you for the detailed response. I was way off with my PoB calculations!

Luckily I held off buying a 50% increased lightning damage one last night for 23 exalts, and managed to buy a perfectly-rolled 15% penetration Watcher's Eye for a fairly steep 30 exalts (still cheaper than what is currently available in Delve).

"
knehtq wrote:
Also thx Giammafix for all that advices and help!

Couldn't agree more! Giammafix has been very helpful and gives very detailed responses each and every time.

Nice jewel you got :D
Also thanks, I'm not the author of the build but I've played it long enough this league that I feel I can help with some advices ^^

Here you can find the video of my last deathless Uber Elder kill! It took 4 minutes but was one of the smoothest runs I ever had. Of course with this build you can farm him on a daily basis if you want!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHmDU4F4POk

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info