Is "90% ailment avoidance" justified?

"
widardd wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making different map mods troublesome for different kinds of builds but this really feels painful.

Imagine a map mod "Enemies have 90% dodge" for attack based builds.

And it's really common, too. (not that EE or +resists are painful enough..)

Edit: Ok, everyone seems to agree in here that this is perfectly fine. Now I'm wondering why I haven't encountered a map mod as disabling as this in so many years on so many different builds. I was always able to build around map mods.

No regen? Use a Flask or leech. No leech? Add some regen or flask effectiveness to your build. Reflect? Reduce your damage. Blood magic, which doesn't exist anymore? Disable your auras. Block reduction? Overcap or go slower. Crit? Get some crit reduction. Extra dmg? Slap on the appropriate aura or get a flask.

At least from my experience there have always been solutions, but I don't see any here.
I have never been on a build that was disabled 90% of the time no matter what I do except changing my archetype (dealing damage over time).

At some point specific bosses were poison or ignite immune, no biggy, just don't use that build for that boss. But this is a map mod you cannot build around, unless I am missing something.

GGG hates ailment builds. Why do you think there are so many negative map mods that only affect ailment builds...while relatively few that affect regular DPS builds?

Even reflect mods target ailment builds because most ailments scale based on damage done (like how freeze has a damage threshold to even work).
I’m running an ailment build and the only two mods I reroll are 90% avoidance and elemental reflect. I usually have 1-3 skip mods on every build I do so I don’t see this as particularly onerous.
In this meta probably not. Ailment builds are not exactly top tier and having an affix like this with fairly low gains and fairly high potentcy is not a good thing for encouraging diversity in a meta all about direct damage.

Ailments in generally are fairly weak as there is really rarely ever a point where igniting, shocking, freezing something is fundamentally going to be better than just direct damage.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
I for one strongly dislike some of the mods. Reflect. Can't regenerate mana (this one is incredibly stupid if you're playing a MOM build without Lavianga's). Monsters are hexproof. Mods like these just serve to completely shut down certain builds while having little to no effect on others. This has no real purpose other than being an annoyance and / or making you waste maps (when you corrupt them).

I don't really care if that's "by design", if that's the design then the design is bad. Mods I DO like: players are cursed, monsters do x extra damage as x element, nemesis / bloodline mods, boss is twinned, increased monster variety, map is inhabited by x, and generic buff mods. Basically stuff that makes the map harder but doesn't completely single out certain builds.

The first aspect might be forgivable if maps t11+ didn't require you to vaal. Vaal your t16 map and get reflect. Whoops! Guess you just can't do it now! It's incredibly poor design especially when you consider how ridiculously time consuming it is to try and trade for all the maps you need every. single. league.
Last edited by Ixoziel on Jun 18, 2018, 5:24:47 AM
"
MECHanokl wrote:
"
polimeris wrote:

Trappers, miners and Totemancers can run every conceivable mod combinations with little trouble. But the gameplay is seen as a hindrance for a majority of people, and they (usually) don't get leech.
I suppose summoners can too, but I never played a serious one.

But all the builds you have mentioned get hindered a lot by no mana regen maps, unless you drop auras and heralds and use mana potions all the time which is rather annoying (well to me at least). Summoner or golemancer kind of doesn't care, but even then, since you basically don't use your support casts (curse on hit links, offerings etc.) you have to slow down as well, so this is not a perfect solution.

I have always be able to manage on one mana flask, even with MoM.
But you are right it slows down the map, since you (temporarly) choose the option to play these build in a safe way.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info