Is "90% ailment avoidance" justified?

"
widardd wrote:
90% damage avoidance is not a slowdown, that's a full stop. ;)

Where's the 90% dodge map mod for builds pigeonholed into dealing damage directly or non-elemental ailments?

There is physical and elemental reflect, and a majority of direct damage builds are effectively disabled by either one or both of these. Not 90%, not "oh, my skill is ineffective" - but "if I hit an enemy I instantly die".

Unidentified maps.

Hardcore.

"
If this is by design then I wonder why it isn't consistent.

Because balance does not mean that everything has to be exactly the same as everything else.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jun 16, 2018, 10:36:58 PM
"
Where's the 90% dodge map mod for builds pigeonholed into dealing damage directly or non-elemental ailments?

there's reflect and no leech.

there's no regen for other builds.

almost any build has one or two map mods they struggle really hard with
"
widardd wrote:
90% damage avoidance is not a slowdown, that's a full stop.

Out of curiosity, which build are you using where the majority of your damage comes from elemental ailments?
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Jun 16, 2018, 10:48:42 PM
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:

There is physical and elemental reflect, and a majority of direct damage builds are effectively disabled by either one or both of these. Not 90%, not "oh, my skill is ineffective" - but "if I hit an enemy I instantly die".

Unidentified maps.

Hardcore.

Reflect is waaayyyy more rare than ailment avoidance, trust me.

And on top of that we do have many sources of reflect immunity and mitigation.

I actually enjoy balancing recovery, avoidance and damage in a way that allows me to run reflect maps without cheesing it via immunity.

I don't see a comparable route for dealing elemental damage over time and this map mod.

"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:

Because balance does not mean that everything has to be exactly the same as everything else.

You're implying there's something intrinsically different and dangerous from a developers POV that justifies this harsh treatment.

I'd like to know what that is.

Are they trying to stop herald effects?

Dominant skills like RF/SR aren't even affected by this map mod.
Perception is reality.
"
crystalwitch wrote:
"
widardd wrote:
90% damage avoidance is not a slowdown, that's a full stop.

Out of curiosity, which build are you using where the majority of your damage comes from elemental ailments?

This
Perception is reality.
Consider that bad map mods are not solely there just to add a challenge spike or to have you consider diversification, they also serve the purpose of being a currency sink for when you re-roll. Every time you use currency to do this, the game drives you to play a little longer to acquire or restock that currency. This is deliberate game design to keep you playing, so you'll ultimately spend money to enjoy your Sisyphean past-time.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Map mods are a voluntary increase in difficulty.

They should therefore be utterly fucking merciless.

I would welcome a map mod that reflects ailments and even a monster affix, this however doesn't add any difficulty unless you consider waiting for things to happen a challenge.
Perception is reality.
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
"
widardd wrote:
90% damage avoidance is not a slowdown, that's a full stop. ;)

Double reflect isn't much of a deterrent with Yugul and Sibyl's Lament. You can easily chew through those maps now as long as you're not AoEing a massive pack, and even breaches and abysses are doable.

By contrast, I would say mob resist + ailment avoidance is much more potent against elemental builds in general.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Map mods are a voluntary increase in difficulty with more drops/experience as the reward.

They should therefore be utterly fucking merciless.

I knew my limits and avoided a great many of them. But this is sort of why "Mapping" isn't the definitive end-game. There's a world of difference between an unmodded t1 map and a randomly alch'ed one. I imagine this distinction carries through all tiers -- I recall being very picky with my alt/chaos rolls of t9-10 maps that one time I stuck with mapping that long.

So if there are some mods that just shit on certain types of builds...welllll...don't play those mods? No one's going to accuse you of being any less of a human being for not doing something you're simply unsuited to or don't want and don't have to do. And if they do, tell them to go fuck themselves. :)

Thing is there are ways both build wise and gameplay around Phys/elected reflect, no Regen, no leech, most involve going slower, switching a few items, using flasks better, there are even RF builds that can run no Regen maps with careful flask use.

But 90% avoidance isn't usually very challenging, it just makes the map aassive slog, while I guess I does make certain things more dangerous that you need to run around in circles hitting them 10x if you have actual Rippy mods with it, it really doesn't change gameplay like the reflect or no Regen/leech.

Blood magic ancestral warchief can deal with any map mod. Something pussy like RF cant deal with a whole bunch of them. It is what it is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info