[3.4] The PIG's Pen - Elemental Hit w/ Poets Pen

The Idea of the build
Spoiler

Updated: 6/23

•Since Elemental Hit has it's own base damage and does not rely on weapon damage, I went Poet's Pen to have a little fun.
•80% chance to shock for 28% more dmg, nearly 100% uptime of chill due to Poet's Pen - Cold Snap, 100% ignite.
•Easy conversion since we're near Avatar of Fire.
•It's not super budget, but not that expensive. I bought everything needed for 130c. Just a little over 1ex now that we're 2 weeks into the league.
•Not recommended league starter, since the uniques will be really hard to get and expensive on 1st day, and prob even up to a week into the league.
•Volatile Dead adds a lot of DPS, my best estimate is 10-15 being active per second, but it's hard to tell/count. I'd love some insight on this if anyone has a way to calculate!
•Cold Snap in other Poet's Pen gives us Frenzies, a chilled ground which actually gives us more dmg.

Lets talk about the shock:
Spoiler
•Beacon of Ruin gives us guaranteed 20% more dmg with Shock
•Frostferno helm with double corruption was not that expensive, and has 0.5 Fire Dmg leech and 25% inc effect of Shock.
•Yoke of Suffering allows our fire dmg to Shock.
•We have 80% chance for our Ele hit to shock thanks to Yoke of Suffering.

Lets talk about the buffs from ailments:
Spoiler
•Ele Hit gets 10% more for each ailment
•Yoke of Suffering makes enemies take 5% more for each ailment
•Our shock is causing enemies to take 28% more thanks to the Helm corruption, Beacon of Ruin and Celestial Punishment.

So in total, an enemy shocked and standing in our Cold Snap chilled ground (or near them thanks to our free proliferation) will take 70% more damage.

Come by and chat if you have anything to discuss about this build!

🐖TheNotoriousPIG's Twitch Live Stream Channel🐖

3.4 Path of Building & Damage
Spoiler

https://pastebin.com/Wz9vDwHL

Optimal Damage with enemy ignited, shocked, chilled, 3 frenzies, Ele dmg Pendulum active, silver and Sulphur flask up:

Since PoB always calculates shock as a 50% dmg, I had to simulate our shock damage by putting the stats on as flask. We have 80% chance to shock with Ele Hit and 34% with each Volatile Dead. My shock is 28% and Yoke + Ele Hit gives it another 15% for a total of 43%. I put "enemies take 22% increased damage for each ailment" on a flask, and simply checked off only chill and ignite since we have 100% chill due to Cold Snap in Poet's Pen and 100% ignite.

Ele Hit DPS vs Shaper: 53,000
Volatile Dead DPs vs Shaper: 29,000 per VD (Again, idk how many are actually hitting per second, it looks like around 10-15)

Reliable DPS with enemy ignited, shocked, chilled. NO frenzies, flask, Pendulum.
Ele Hit vs Shaper: 331,000
VD DPs vs Shaper: 20,000

Videos
Spoiler

T15 Basilica

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/273805478

I killed Kitava, and went straight into red maps. Here's me at lvl 71 doing a T11 Primordial Pool

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/273099835

Cost of Build? It was cheap at league start, but now very expensive

Spoiler

Prices refer to Incursion League, 12 days after league start

•Each Poet's Pen cost me about 30c each
•Frostferno with the double corruption was 50c --(These have gone up in price, now cost about 2ex without corruption)
•Yoke of Suffering was 10c
•Call of the Brotherhood was 10c
•130c total

•I'm using a Kaom's Heart which I paid 160c for 7 days into league, but a Belly of the Beast could work just as well here for 4-5c.

(July 7th update) Currently a little over a month into the league, an uncorrupted Frostferno is 5ex, Yoke & Call are 50-60c and Poet's Pens are 40c each.

Current Gear
Spoiler

Class and Ascendencies

Spoiler
•Class: Witch
•Ascendency: Elementalist
1st: Pendulum of Destruction
2nd: Mastermind of Discord
3rd: Shaper of Desolation
4th: Beacon of Ruin

Skill Tree lvl 87

Skill Tree Leveling Guide
Spoiler

Tree at 37 pts: Go straight to Avatar of Fire, then grab the two jewel nodes so you can put in both Combat focus unique jewels. This will give you Ele Hit huge base damage. Grab Elemental Overload last and the +30 dex node helps a ton if you don't have enough dex on gear to keep your Ele Hit leveling up as you go. Do normal lab and get Pendulum of Destruction.

https://poeplanner.com/AA4AAFUADiMAACffsJLBjr4RLXyD6-6nCNgkVkja3TLRRUfAZgSzogA62CcvkFUaOFnzcg9mnvrSHRSvjRZv42rwH63xGF0c3I8a5FUw-HfllG9mVJD6320AAAAAAA==

Tree at 70 pts: Make your way down to Duelist area. Get the Jewel socket so you can put your 2nd Combat Focus for more damage!

https://poeplanner.com/AA4AAJsADiMAAErfsJLBjr4RLXyD6-6nCNgkVkja3TLRRUfAZgSzogB35TrYJy-QVRo4WfNyD2ae-tIdFK-NFm_javAfrfEYXRzcjxq4kyj6gsf56EGHtz7-Cti9NZK18ngNwBpvO6lud-MB3ITZR369NmVNvqd1y-pizZiNfuRVMPiUb2ZUQzFM_04qKjgj028nmmrWWJD6321Mi-9LAAAAAAA=

Tree at 81 pts: Get Point Blank to help melt the act bosses. Then grab Golem's Blood and Thick Skin to get us up to 123% life on tree. Do merc lab and get Shaper of Desolation before killing Act 10 Kitava. Try to get uber lab as soon as possible!

https://poeplanner.com/AA4AALUADiMAAFffsJLBjr4RLXyD6-6nCNgkVkja3TLRRUfAZgSzogB35TrYJy-QVRo4WfNyD2ae-tIdFK-NFm_javAfrfEYXRzcjxq4kyj6gsf56EGHtz7-Cti9NZK18ngNwBpvO6lud-MB3ITZR369NmVNvqd1y-pizZiNfkMxTP_WWE4qI9NvJ5pqW68UdaTC2sF07QUtDY2Hdkp95FUw-JRvZlQqOC5T02-Q-t9tTIvvS2t6yL8AAAAAAA==

Tree at 90 pts: I grabbed Lava Lash then Bloodless. I could have gone the bottom route to get to Bloodless's big node sooner, but I wanted to go the top route incase I was considering grabbing Unwavering Stance. Seems like it could be a good trade off for stun immunity since with a Kaom's we're better off going Arm/ES on gear than trying to stack Evasion.

https://poeplanner.com/AA4AAMsADiMAAGLfsJLBjr4RLXyD6-6nCNgkVkja3TLRRUfAZgSzogB35TrYJy-QVRo4WfNyD2ae-tIdFK-NFm_javAfrfEYXRzcjxq4kyj6gsf56EGHtz7-Cti9NZK18ngNwBpvO6lud-MB3ITZR369NmVNvqd1y-pizZiNfkMxTP9OKiPTbyeaatZYW68UdaTC2sF07QUtWK826IZgIq84U3bnAecUTfxLvJ8YkSo4DY2Hdkp95FUw-JRvZlSQ-t9tTIvvS2t6yL9GUvxMAAAAAAA=

Tree at 110 pts: You have choices for life or damage at this point; You can fill out some of the Sion life wheel, you can go all the way back to the top of the tree and grab Celestial Judgement and Punishment for penetration + shock chance and effect, you can grab a jewel node by Sion and/or Duelist.

https://poeplanner.com/AA4AAPMADiMAAHbfsJLBjr4RLXyD6-6nCNgkVkja3TLRRUfAZgSzogB35TrYJy-QVRo4WfNyD2ae-tIdFK-NFm_javAfrfEYXRzcjxq4kyj6gsf56EGHtz7-Cti9NZK18ngNwBpvO6lud-MB3ITZR369NmVNvqd1y-pizZiNfkMxTP9OKluvFHWkwiPTbyeaatrBdO0FLdZYDY2Hdkp9WK826IZgIq84U3bnAecUTfxLvJ8YkXGFVylG19q5sULyRTrh_o9N46ZXKjguU9NvJKo26YPMPC2DX5RvZlTkVTD4Z6Djn3rvkPrfbUyL70tresi_RlL8TAAAAAAA

Panteheons
Spoiler

Major: I like Brine King to help prevent stun locks, but if I went Unwavering Stance, I'd use Solaris because we 1-shot packs and bosses are the only scary thing. The upgrades that help against crits, ailments and especially the 8% less damage if you haven't been hit recently would be really nice.

Minor: I love using Bubbling Life Flask, so Ryslatha with the upgrade is my choice here. If I get chunked down and chug my flask on low life, the bubbling flask provides a significant heal.

Skills/Gear Leveling Guide
Spoiler

Since I do not recommend this as a League starter build, I will assume you have both Poet's Pens, typical cheap leveling gear and all required gems, even the ones you can't buy from vendor until after Lily's quest in Act 6.

I will list the when to get specific skill gems and how to set them up.

1. Level 1: Start with Freezing Pulse -Added Cold- Added Lightning - Onslaught
-Have your Elemental Hit socketed somewhere so it can level.
-I recommend 2 quicksilvers, 1 mana and 2 life flask. 3 Quicksilver are also fine. Up to you!

Recommended Uniques: Goldrim - Wanderlust - Lifesprig x2

2. Level 4: Get Flame Totem - Added Lightning - Added Cold -
-Now you just drop Totem and run, maybe shooting a Freezing Pulse to drive by mobs if you run out of Quicksilver charges.

3. Level 8: Elemental Hit - Lesser Multiple Proj - Life Gain on Hit - Maim

4. Level 10: Get Flame Dash

5. Level 12: Get two Poet's Pens
-Poet's Pen #1: Unearth - Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Bodyswap or Cold Snap
-Poet's Pen #2: Volatile Dead - Added Cold - Added Lightning
-Attack Skill: Use Ele Hit and everything dies!

6. Level 16: Get and use Herald of Ash.
Recommended Uniques:
-Nomic's Storm is 40% movement speed pretty much always up.
-Atziri's Foible is a great mana item.
-Perandus Blazon helps with attributes a bunch.

7. Level 18:
Set your attack skill to Ele Hit - LMP - Faster Attacks - Life Gain on Hit. Also, setup your Volatile Dead with Elemental Focus and Concentrated Effect.

Flame Dash - Faster Casting - Arcane Surge

Recommended Uniques: Cloak of Flames

8. Level 20: Equip your Call of the Brotherhood

9. Level 24: Get a Flammability. Can self cast if you really want, but not needed.

10. Level 31: Get a Blasphemy. Link your Flammability to it and run it as a curse.

Recommended Uniques: Le Heup of All ring. If you're using Poet's Pens a Thief's Torment is great!

11. Level 34:

Get a Lightning Golem.

12. Level 38:
-Cast When Damage Taken (lvl 6) - Immortal Call (lvl 8)
****CWDT Setup - Very important to only level these gems up as stated!

Put a Brute Force Solution into any jewel slots you have taken so far!

**Reminder: Make sure you have gems that are needed for your final setup leveling in any extra slots, as well as in your weapon swap!***

13. Level 46: You can equip a Belly of the Beast here for some decent res and nice life boost!

14. Level 60: Equip your Frostferno and put Ele Hit in it!

15. Level 68: You can use a Kaom's Heart if you can afford it! And we're DONE! Enjoy!

Last edited by TheNotoriousPIG on Aug 29, 2018, 11:21:13 PM
Last bumped on Jan 8, 2019, 12:56:40 AM
I started with a similar build, but used Piscators cause I was low on currency. After that I wanted to switch to poets pen and found your thread. It helpt me a low, although I am using a slighty different Skilltree, but I was not sure about which Items I should use.

So thank you! I think it is really fun to play!
"
Drewnag wrote:
I started with a similar build, but used Piscators cause I was low on currency. After that I wanted to switch to poets pen and found your thread. It helpt me a low, although I am using a slighty different Skilltree, but I was not sure about which Items I should use.

So thank you! I think it is really fun to play!

Thanks a bunch! glad it helped! If you have any other questions, or figure out something that I might be able to use, def let me know!
How did you get your Frostferno so cheap? There is only one of them up right now that has fire damage leeched as life and it's up for 2 ex, it doesn't even have the other implicit.

Increased effect of shock is the same too.
Last edited by Salandrea on Jun 22, 2018, 3:35:24 PM
"
Salandrea wrote:
How did you get your Frostferno so cheap? There is only one of them up right now that has fire damage leeched as life and it's up for 2 ex, it doesn't even have the other implicit.

Increased effect of shock is the same too.

Damn, they went up a hell of a lot from when I wrote the guide. I got mine for 50c on June 11th, and wrote the guide on the 13th. According to Poe.ninja they've been steadily going up. It'll be interesting to see how much it cost at the beginning of the following leagues.

Honestly, you don't need the enchants. The Shock one makes your shot do 28% more instead of 23% more, and the .5 fire damage leech is only really good until you take Vitality Void.
Your PoB doesn't have your 3rd and 4th ascendancies in. (I know it's beacon, but maybe include it).

You have shocked enabled in PoB. You run beacon which guarantees that you get a 20% shock, however you have no increased effect of non-damaging ailments anywhere on your tree, Yoke offers a pseudo 15% (5% fire, 5% yoke shock, 5% cold snap chill) damage taken, which is specifically not shock and simply gets added after. Your rather generous Frostferno corruption adds an additional 25% increased effect of shock. Since there are no other sources that increase the effect of the shock that you cause, you only gain 5% increase to shock specifically. 20 + 5 + (pseudo 15%) = 40%. Shocked in PoB is 50% increased damage taken. You did the math correctly when replying to one of the posters, so why not the PoB?

This is in addition to the issue of your build having no crit, so you are relying on ele-hit's 49% base ailment inflict chance and the 5% from elementalist and 10% from yoke. Conflux helps too, when it's on rotation which is half of the time. These may seem like small differences, but the damage was really low even with the shocked box enabled, so when you aren't succeeding at shocking enemies it might seem low.

What were your thoughts about that? Do you ever notice times where shock simply is non-existent? How about how does the build feel on monsters resists x% of ailments rolled maps?

Adding it to the listing as is, I hope the coming soon sections get completed.

Cheers
Hot Flashes: poeurl.com/bPZT
Balance: poeurl.com/btzp
Shocking EleHit: poeurl.com/bZXo
"
Kwitch wrote:
Your PoB doesn't have your 3rd and 4th ascendancies in. (I know it's beacon, but maybe include it).

You have shocked enabled in PoB. You run beacon which guarantees that you get a 20% shock, however you have no increased effect of non-damaging ailments anywhere on your tree, Yoke offers a pseudo 15% (5% fire, 5% yoke shock, 5% cold snap chill) damage taken, which is specifically not shock and simply gets added after. Your rather generous Frostferno corruption adds an additional 25% increased effect of shock. Since there are no other sources that increase the effect of the shock that you cause, you only gain 5% increase to shock specifically. 20 + 5 + (pseudo 15%) = 40%. Shocked in PoB is 50% increased damage taken. You did the math correctly when replying to one of the posters, so why not the PoB?

This is in addition to the issue of your build having no crit, so you are relying on ele-hit's 49% base ailment inflict chance and the 5% from elementalist and 10% from yoke. Conflux helps too, when it's on rotation which is half of the time. These may seem like small differences, but the damage was really low even with the shocked box enabled, so when you aren't succeeding at shocking enemies it might seem low.

What were your thoughts about that? Do you ever notice times where shock simply is non-existent? How about how does the build feel on monsters resists x% of ailments rolled maps?

Adding it to the listing as is, I hope the coming soon sections get completed.

Cheers

Hey Kwitch, thanks for the analysis!

I'll go update the tree to my character's current level right now! I didn't realize PoB set shock to always do 50%. Where I am now, PoB is showing 80% chance to shock without Shaper of Des. The Volatile Dead's also hit a ton of times and each have a 34% chance to shock.

Without a way for Path of Building to calc my actual shock amount, I'll could put a new PoB without shock but it won't take into account the extra damage from the shock's 28%, Ele Hit's 10% and Yokes 5%, so it seems it would show Ele Hit dealing 43% less damage than it would be ... I did some research and I see a lot of people used PoB to simulate the new ascendencies back in 3.2 by putting the stats on flask, so I'll edit a flask to simulate 43% damage that my actual shocks would make enemies take. Is that cool?

The damage felt really good, in the T15 Basilica fight at about 5:40 I get a couple seconds to stand still and nail the boss, and his life drops very noticeably. And right about 6mins i drop him from around 20% life to dead in a about 3 hits. I only play/make budget builds so my damage felt amazing on any type of map I'd run. Then again, I put a little over 1ex to gearthis and Frostferno's prices have been going up so it looks like more of around 3ex budget to gear this now. I feel like for that price, this build is just as good as advertised.

All the "coming soons" are completed!

Looking forward to your response!

Last edited by TheNotoriousPIG on Jun 23, 2018, 6:29:12 PM
it's not the best way of doing it (openarl giving us a shock % box to type in would be better) but you can add a field to yoke of suffering or one of your other items that says 'Enemies You Taunt take x% Increased Damage', where you enable 'enemy is taunted' in the calcs section. Again, it's not perfect, but it's a pretty well accepted work around. You just change the x% to however much shock effectiveness / additional enemy damage your gear and tree has. In this case, it's only a small difference so it's not the end of the world or anything, simply mildly off.

Also, it means not having shocked enabled on your enemy, which follows that anything that looks at 'is enemy shocked' no longer applies and would need further tweaking to look representative.

Cheers

*edit*
yeah flask also works. I always would do it on a piece of gear because sometimes i would absentmindedly disable a flask for looking at boss fights without that flask up, and get really confused.
Hot Flashes: poeurl.com/bPZT
Balance: poeurl.com/btzp
Shocking EleHit: poeurl.com/bZXo
Last edited by Kwitch on Jun 24, 2018, 5:44:19 PM
Doing a similar build for my second go at an elemental hit character.
I like your idea of cold snap.
My ascendancy is what *I* want, probably not the best choice for the build, I gotta have my bros.
I am rocking a crown of eyes for spell damage to attack damage conversion.
Last edited by Sohala on Jun 30, 2018, 8:39:48 PM
"
Sohala wrote:
Doing a similar build for my second go at an elemental hit character.
I like your idea of cold snap.
My ascendancy is what *I* want, probably not the best choice for the build, I gotta have my bros.
I am rocking a crown of eyes for spell damage to attack damage conversion.

Crown of eyes is a really good idea, plus your ascendancy choice is just a more defensive choice at the expense of 20 or so more damage. I made similar choice on another one of my builds (a CwC Incinerate Whispering Ice), instead of having the 20% more dmg from shock every 6/14 seconds, I opted for the extra Chaos golem, reflect immune, leech, and the small ele dmg/defense buffs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info