TeGnGcGent Stash Tab Constriction Non Paying Players

This isn't a cut down thread, just a gameplay thread in general, concerning STASH, and play constriction:

1) I haven't paid a single penny into this game. Why? Started with just 3 acts. Annoyed me. No mercenaries. Annoyed me. Came back to tons of content. No mercenaries still but tons of content overrides that problem. NPC dialogue on various issues both religious and political though, annoy me. Mass content and the fact I can ignore the pathetic dialogue in this game, has me wanting to buy tabs.

2) ORIGINALLY, 4 STASH TABS PER ACCOUNT IN THE GAME, allowed non paying players to play just fine. A design the founders of the game, GGG, set up so as to not restrict the non paying crowd. A good design people respected them for, unlike other games like D2 launch where stash was intentionally restricted to a ridiculous degree, and you would be tempted to pay into an expansion to alleviate that problem (a little bit at least, and, in part the reason for buying expansion). A tabs decision that people respected enough, to in some cases, support the company by way of buying tabs.

3) GGG never really pushed us then. And the P2W aspect was barely an issue.

4) GGG over the years has expanded the content here in ways, intentionally, that fill up stash very very fast. I say intentionally BUT I HAVE ZERO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER WITH GGG TRYING TO MAKE MONEY WHATEVER WAY THEY CHOOSE IN THIS GAME... zero ethical problems. It's just the content now, in many ways, fills up 4 stash tabs very soon into the game.

5) This makes the pay to win aspect of the game very noticeable NOT THAT I'M TRYING TO WIN ANYTHING... but we go back to the annoying factor. Cards, excess maps you need to save, etc etc... all things i don't mind at all in game... but they restrict you and slow you down, and short of just using a new account as a mule, which is again slow and tedious, you will lag behind if you actually wanted to keep up with the paying guys. Not to mention again how it just feels all too restricting, even for just 1 character.

6) I respected GGG's decision then and now on 4 tabs, but did GGG's feelings on not restricting non paying players, change over the years? Do they want to squeeze players into buying tabs by adding annoyance to their gameplay in the way of stash restriction from new content (now old in some cases)? Or did they just sort of forget the fact that 4 tabs now, vs then, just is very constricting in very annoying ways to the non paying players.

7) Tencent has another game I play, Fortnite, and I like it and have paid money into it for 2 reasons. I don't see whining, anti God dialogue, and they aren't restricting my gameplay in any way. Easy to give.

8) TeGnGcGent, I know this is a GGG decision alone, but GGG you should reconsider the stash restriction on players not paying into your game. It's very possible others are like me and if you added a free tab to everyone to make up for the gigantic stash constriction modern POE causes such players, you may get more money in the long run. Then again I understand you fearing a drop in stash revenue too. I'm just pointing out the problems, from my end. You'd know way better than me.

9) IN THE END THIS IS A BUSINESS AND I DON'T MIND YOU FOCUSING ON THE BOTTOM LINE, EVEN IF THAT MEANS YOU WANT TO MAKE 4 TABS UNCOMFORTABLE TO PLAY WITH SO YOU GET MORE PAYING CUSTOMERS... I have no problems at all if that's how you're going to employ the most people at GGG... I personally just wish you went back to the old way of virtually no stash restriction feel. If it can happen, it should happen.

10) all players with 5 tabs to start, would make up for this "bottleneck of things" in stash. You do that, and I for one will be tipped into the give you 40 bucks for tabs department. Then again, maybe I'm the only one. The philosophy of the game concerning stash vs gameplay, has just changed too much over the years.

I mainly made 10 points just to prove to myself I can actually count that high. It's been a while.
Last bumped on Jun 18, 2018, 1:43:27 AM
Alva is kind of a merc. She follows along and fights with you. You can't spec her out, but the mechanics are in place for mercs in the future. Question only remains is if we want them. Mercs in D2 were just aura bots.

You can always mule off gear to a second account. You just don't want to bother. I get that. I'd personally put together a bundle where someone could buy all the special tabs and a Premium Tab for a savings. Maybe the whole lot for $25 or something. But complaining that 4 for free isn't enough isn't going to fly. You can play the game fine with 4 regular tabs. It just takes a bit of patience.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Jun 10, 2018, 2:13:21 PM
"
Templar_G wrote:
I respected GGG's decision then and now on 4 tabs, but did GGG's feelings on not restricting non paying players, change over the years? Do they want to squeeze players into buying tabs by adding annoyance to their gameplay in the way of stash restriction from new content (now old in some cases)?

Obviously: yes.

From div cards to essences to chaos shards, GGG development has been driving that direction for years.

People ask for fragments to stack? Here: buy a tab for it.

It is just sad now.
"
SudianX wrote:
"
Templar_G wrote:
I respected GGG's decision then and now on 4 tabs, but did GGG's feelings on not restricting non paying players, change over the years? Do they want to squeeze players into buying tabs by adding annoyance to their gameplay in the way of stash restriction from new content (now old in some cases)?

From div cards to essences to chaos shards, GGG development has been driving that direction for years.

It is just sad now.

What is sad is if someone is playing for free, potentially for years, and they still complain that they deserve to have ever more.

No, sad is not the right word. Fucking pathetic.

Ya, that's a better description.
"
Qiox wrote:
"
SudianX wrote:
"
Templar_G wrote:

It is just sad now.

What is sad is if someone is playing for free, potentially for years, and they still complain that they deserve to have ever more.

No, sad is not the right word. Fucking pathetic.

Ya, that's a better description.

I remember when it was either shareware or piracy to play a game without spending money on it. Now people have free games and still feel entitled.

It's one thing to argue for the benefit of f2p players. But the entire game is readily accessible to any player with a feasible computer and connection.

I had no intentions of spending money when I installed this game - I was deciding between d3 and sc2. Instead I dropped more than the cost of both for the sake of storage. D2 players who had to mule manually and potentially risk item loss find it very convenient to buy additional tabs when our original entire stash was the equivalent of a single page and no option of upgrading.
Yep, totally over league play.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
The Diablo 1 shareware demo was incredible in this aspect: fairly bug free and eminently replayable. If not for that demo

I remember getting a Diablo 2 demo off of a cereal box. Played that for HOURS. That won't happen anymore. Too violent and people would probably just steal them now. They were literally just in a plastic pouch on the front of boxes in the cereal isle.
rawr. fear me.
I do think the game has reached a point with stash bloat that they need to start giving out a few more things.

Back in the day, with a couple acts and just currency, you could manage ok with 4. Nowadays there is so much junk, and such a demand for premium tabs, that you can't.

And, everyone here was F2p at some point before they spent money. I was enticed early on by extra tabs because they rolled out for me in a smooth pattern. I just buy this premium set. Oh, now I can get a currency page. Oh, Essence page. None of this was dumped on me at once.

A new player you see 100+ dollars of stash trash you need now to hold all your 5000 million giblets, goblets, and fragments of whatever and it probably drives them away. Where I was eased into it 10-15 bucks at a time over the years.

Much like mobile games I play where they are very stingy at the start, and then you come back in a year and you are getting all kinds of free things right off the bat. Why? To hook new players. When you start that far behind its just too daunting to keep up. But if they give enough "dope" to hook you, then you will spend money like the rest. PoE, especially since they are constantly inventing shit to milk with new pages, could stand to throw a few pages at people. Its not like they can't print money by making more, and making more crap that needs its own pages. They can always make a new Widget that needs its own Widget page. I dont see why they cant at least give new accounts premium tabs, and possibly even Currency tabs at this point. These would show the Value of tabs, and therefore make you want to buy that map page. That essence page. Its one of those things you dont realize how good they are until you actually get them. And once you get them, much like a cell phone you cant really do without them. You get a taste of a currency page, and you want the essence, the map, the divination, etc.

If I was just starting it would almost look like P2W at this point.
Last edited by Destructodave on Jun 10, 2018, 10:41:24 PM
I should also preface that the game I was last heavily committed to for a while was SWTOR, and you basically had to sub because they restricted access to even your funds let alone content.

The primary reason I get annoyed tho is when people go out of their way to justify not spending money, because its never a really solid reason.

It's not like people post saying, I tried such and such game, but wasn't really into it so I didn't spend anything.

It's more like, I've played such and such for years and I still haven't spent any money because (likely lame excuse here).

It be one thing to say, its been a while, wouldn't it be nice if we had a nice set of 5 tabs? I think that's a reasonable request without being too demanding.

But playing for years and saying you won't pay a dime because they didn't give you more free stuff, that's not only bs, but a deterrent for people looking to develop games based on a full access f2p model.

Imagine if these folks had to deal with the old days of console gaming where if the game was lousy you were stuck returning it for a fraction of its value.
Yep, totally over league play.
If you've played enough to fill 4 tabs, PoE has earned the cost of a stash tab bundle. If you legitimately can't afford it, then you need to make mule characters.
Am i reading that right? you are trying to petition tencent to give you more default stash space?

IF tencent ever got to monetize the game themselves then you are going to be disapinted.

The stash space would likely be reduced to all new players to one or 2 tabs FORCING you into buying tabs, 4 can get you by if you manage them well.

They would also reduce the number of characters you can make by default to prevent you from using mules

They could also restrict you in terms of accounts

There would also be more crap to pick up.

It wouldn't be to big a stretch of the imagination to say that they would come up with a loot box that drops in game that requires keys, both taking up space
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info