Infernal Blow Chieftain

I want to try a Infernal Blow Build with the Chieftain, and i wonder if this tree would work for it: http://poeurl.com/bXzT

I planned to go elemental overload, dual wield and use a dagger as a stat stick.

I never planned a build myself and because of that i could need some advice :)
Last edited by V4ldaran on Jun 7, 2018, 5:29:38 AM
Last bumped on Jun 23, 2018, 12:01:22 PM
Ok, I'm running Infernal Blow and it's lvling smoothly, you can look at my character to get an idea of what i'm doing.

A few things, single target DPS is the biggest problem for the skill, one handed weapons only underline the issue and thus two handed weapons are a REQUIREMENT, because the bigger the phys damage the smoother the build is going to go. The changes to IB in this patch improved single target damage, but you still need a big phys stick to make bosses feel it.

I'm going to run with Doomsower with this gems: Infernal Blow + Ancestral Call (Multistrike for single target bosses) + Melee Phys + Ele Damage + Combustion + Ruthless.

Auras: Haste in Essence Worm + Vaal Haste + Herald of Ash + Blasphemy (Punishment - MORE melee phys and attack speed).

Lightning Golem.

Blood Rage - for Frenzy Charges and attack speed.

Ancestral Warchief.

And CwDT with Immortal Call, Molten Shell and Phase Run (using a skill like infernal blow after phase run is triggered stops phase run and grants a MORE phys damage buff).

Uniques I'm going to buy: Doomsower (high pDPS, additional fire damage per red gem and increased AOE), The Formless Inferno (Massive defensive helmet for a Chieftain), Gang's Momentum (ignite benefits and 25% move speed), Essence Worm, Lion's Roar and The Wise Oak (your uncapped fire resistance will be 76% giving you easy fire pen and damage reduction against cold and lightning).

Also, Elemental Overload in a Marauder is not worth it, no matter how much you invest on it, crit strike chance is going to be low and there is no easy way to get power charges or to sustain them with the DUMB-DUMB intelligence of the class. IMO, Elemental Overload won't be triggered consistently enough and thus Resolute Technique is the way to go.

If you have any question, feel free to ask, glfh!
I leveled an Oni-Goroshi IB Chieftan and had mixed results in it, mainly because of the lack of decent single target and the fact it is pure melee. I started out with the idea to dual wield with a dagger stat stick as well, but quickly found that I lacked the damage to one-shot packs like I wanted to, and also lacked my single target.

I haven't yet, but I'm likely going to reroll to pure 2-hander using either kitava'a feast for the massive health gain for easy mapping, or something like doomsower for solid DPS and cost.

Unfortunately, even with the charges, I don't think IB's single target will reach the spot where it competes for bossing.
According to Path of Building (I know, I take it with a grain of salt), with 100 points invested and good gear (not OP gear with everything to the max) my build has +200k Shaper single target with Multistrike instead of Ancestral Call.

Which while not great, it's much better than how things used to be for Infernal Blow.

With Ancestral Call and against normal enemies: +400k.

That's with 144% increased life and 19k armor and with 15 point access to 65% additional life, so I'm not exactly building a glass cannon.

While not awesome, it's better than what I was expecting and the BOOOMs are satisfying.
Last edited by BMatrim on Jun 8, 2018, 7:10:10 PM
https://pastebin.com/pmX2byDb i just got 91 and im done with infernal blow , as jugg my map clearing is pretty insane but single target is shit and i doubt as chieftain and a disfavour you will reach any decente single target, the trick would have be make your tree for a molten strike and have infernal blow as a map clear
I'm leveling an Oni IB map clear with a lore weave vaal double strike chiefain.

Should to have enough single target to do any maps since vaal DS is so cheesy right now.

IGN Shihtzutank
Last edited by standarsh1983 on Jun 9, 2018, 7:25:40 PM
Been changing a few things, including the aim of my build, it's no longer Doomsower, it's Atziri's Disfavour and I'm currently in my pit stop with Hezmana's Bloodlust.

With pretty much the same tree, with 101 points invested, Atziri's Disfavour and Multistrike instead of Ancestral Call, the build has +480k Shaper DPS.

Against regular crowds with Ancestral Call, +560k DPS.

PoB link: https://pastebin.com/XvQ4nnDZ.

Like the build BMatrim, be mostly following it if I ever get real time off work....
"
Like the build BMatrim, be mostly following it if I ever get real time off work....

Hah, that's real life for most of us, there's a reason why I haven't made a post for the build and been using this post to comment.

Some tips for smooth leveling if you are able to get the time:

* As soon as you can, get Wideswing axe and use the massive upgrade of the axe to travel most of the way into the duelist AND templar. When Wideswing isn't feeling as smooth anymore, get the Rigwald's Charge sword and use it to continue traveling.

* Only take two handed weapon nodes up to this point.

* With Hezmana's Bloodlust start getting the axe nodes on tree.

* Ascendancies order: Ngamahu (huge DPS increase), Tawhoa (survivability and damage), Ramako (survivability) and Hinekora (leech).

* Only unique items you need before the 3rd ascendancy are the weapon AND Essence Worm. Rest of unique make sense only after getting Ramako and the 100% fire resistance.

If you have any questions, feel free. GLHF!
Further changes:

Hezmana is fine if you don't have mana leech, elemental leech sucks, it's hard to obtain and it's why I don't like the Kitava's Feast axe, all that leech sounds great even if it's a slow axe, but it's physical damage leech and it does diddly squat for this build.

Maces are a good option if you have leech and it's easier to get the colors you want, which are in order:

Infernal Blow, Ancestral Call, Melee Phys, Elemental Damage, Combustion and Ignite Proliferation for clear speed.

Against Bosses you swap Ancestral Call for Multistrike and Ignite Proliferation for Elemental Focus.

Ignite Proliferation will help in the one area in which the build struggles, most things you hit just go BOOOOOM, meaning that they aren't burning when they die and thus your way of getting Endurance Charges just isn't very effective. And Elemental Focus is a bigger DPS increase than Ruthless as an added bonus.

The end game weapon is still Atziri's Disfavour, but it's really expensive.

Updated build in PoB: https://pastebin.com/DGaw2jJ4.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, GLHF!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info