Is everyone enjoying rolepalying a genocidal plunderer?

"
We7efrur wrote:
I'm certainly not. GGG must be living under rocks to force players to roleplay the genocide of the native americans by the Spanish Conquistadors with an extremely thinly veiled 'Kill the Native Americans for loot' story line in 2018.

Yes, Yes, I'm a filthy casual and I'm sure I'll be pilloried for being a snowflake SJW, but just think for a minute what the present Incursion League is really portraying.

SO you're ok with the genocide your ancestors commited when they settled the land you were born in but a game offends you this much.... Sheesh.
if they drop loot, i'm killing them.
I have an Alien pet.
Bah, the Spaniards wouldn't have gotten anywhere without their Tlaxcalan allies, the Aztecs weren't exactly loved by the other natives involved in the Conquest. The Total War games involve mass slaughter too, but I haven't heard too many complaints about the Romans or the Sarmations in those games.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
raincoast wrote:
Bah, the Spaniards wouldn't have gotten anywhere without their Tlaxcalan allies, the Aztecs weren't exactly loved by the other natives involved in the Conquest. The Total War games involve mass slaughter too, but I haven't heard too many complaints about the Romans or the Sarmations in those games.

Yep. People want to make it black and white because they're playing a game where black and white is convenient.

But if you're going to be true to history, you're almost better off not doing it in a game at all. I guess this is why we have those other things.

Oh, yeah. Books.

Oh man, I just watched the Fahrenheit 451 movie (2018 remake) last night.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
KalAthar wrote:
I totally am, thanks for asking!

+1
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
"
鬼殺し wrote:

I'd ask the OP how they felt about Bestiary but my fuckgiving bucket has a Tencent piece-sized hole in it right now. Ain't nobody got dime for that.

i like that turn of phrase
I find that PoE, like most games, is best played by ignoring the lore entirely.
"
We7efrur wrote:
I'm certainly not. GGG must be living under rocks to force players to roleplay the genocide of the native americans by the Spanish Conquistadors

Did you mean the genocide of the Aztecs against the Mayans, or that of the Mayans against the Olmecs, or the Olmecs against the Toltecs, or the Toltecs against the Incans?

I don't think the mesoamericans built automatons that fired purple and green beams of toxic energy. Is Incursion GGG's "thinly veiled" assertion that the Aztec were time travelers or had ancient alien technology?

The game is imaginary, not historical. The temples could be based on those in Java, Ur, Indonesia, Mexico, Sardinia... The costumes are fairly clear as to inspiration, but that still doesn't mean the Vaal represent mesoamericans, anymore than Greust represents all hunters.

You might have noticed there are no guns or cell phones in the game. The game, like many arpgs is set in the distant past - where swords were still in common use and violence was the norm.

The Karui committing genocide against the Oriath townsfolk in the game, for instance. The characters killing exiles they meet instead of making friends and alliances with them. In the real world, nations conquered each other as often as they could.

I'm probably butchering the original quote - but the gist of it is that Adventure is somebody else having a bad time.

How many people watched the Lord of the Rings movies for entertainment? Did they complain about how much the characters suffered and all the hard ship they endured? Why did the movies focus on the negative aspects, instead of just the happy time?

If you really can't escape the connection, then think of your character as a plumber who has been called in because the temple floor is 5" deep with blood. Your plumber eliminates the source of the leaking blood - the Vaal.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Yep. And besides that, if we're going to play the history tune, the Spaniards had no intention of committing genocide, their conquests were based on the encomienda system of tribute, reducing the natives to serfdom, the same system in most of the known world. Genocide would mean these ex-serfs from Extremadura wouldn't have anyone lower than them to do all the work on their new domains that they certainly didn't have any intention of doing themselves.

1519 was tough all over the world, Henry VIII was just getting started, in a few years Ivan Grozny, the Terrible, would be doing his thing, civil wars in Japan, Moghul Empire in the subcontinent warring against Hindu kingdoms, etc. At an earlier time there were these guys named Genghis, Attila, Tamerlane, et all , and they really knew how to slaughter people. Aztecs got their empire by merciless conquest and extracting tribute and sacrificial victims from their defeated neighbors.

We're damn lucky we don't live in such a world, it was crappy and cruel everywhere. Maybe we can just enjoy the game instead of getting holier than thou about very long dead people.
Last edited by raincoast on Jun 7, 2018, 1:17:25 AM
This is definitely a troll post by OP but in case it isnt I cant say I agree with it either. Doesnt feel like an authentic genocide experience without mowing down woman and children too. Not very inclusive of GGG to leave them out.
ProbablyGettingNerfed - L100 Occultist
Vinktarded - L100 Pathfinder
GoogleDiversityHire - L100 Necromancer

3.13 was the pinnacle of PoE. IVYS+1 Gang 4 Life.
Last edited by TheAshmaker on Jun 7, 2018, 6:51:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info