(March 5) Server problems and realm restart

Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Oct 31, 2012, 5:44:46 AM
Is there a Timezone issue here? I am in CST (UTC -6) and this post seems confusing to me. Just asking as I could leave work a little early to play, but I won't if the realm is down.
ROFL_Meat | ROFL_Sorc | ROFL_Sausage
Last edited by Gafgarion on Mar 5, 2012, 3:26:15 PM
"
Gafgarion wrote:
Is there a Timezone issue here? I am in CST (UTC -6) and this post seems confusing to me. Just asking as I could leave work a little early to play, but I won't if the realm is down.

Those are all New Zealand times, sorry for not clarifying. It's fine now.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
I'd just like to add some more information about this issue.

This problem occurred at night, when there was nobody actively monitoring the realm. It started after 9pm NZ time and we didn't notice it until we woke up this morning.

Normally when the realm has a problem, I get an email, and after 5 minutes of not fixing it, I get a text message to my mobile phone. This is normally enough to wake me up so I can fix whatever the problem is.

Unfortunately this time it was a problem that we haven't had before.

Here is a picture that might help explain what happend.

As you can see, the realm was still actually up, it just has a serious problem. The dip at the end is us restarting the realm and it coming back up normally.

Our monitoring system has triggers that are set up to detect specific conditions, but this is one that we haven't seen before.

The underlying issue was a database related issue, but it wasn't actually affecting everyone. Because of this, the monitoring didn't send me any messages.

From now on, we will have a trigger set up to notify me in the case that there is a major discrepency between checked out accounts, and players actually in instances. (This descrepency is normally just caused by people on the login screen or between instances).

I'm sorry that this occurred and we will be taking steps to make sure that it doesn't happen again.
Path of Exile II - Game Director
Last edited by Jonathan on Mar 5, 2012, 4:10:53 PM
I'm really amazed at how professional you guys are at managing the situation, especially for an indie studio's first title (if not, the first public title). Keep up the good work.
Unviable build tester.
Fuse mechanics:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/21503
95% Crit Build Without Charges [0.10.1c]:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/172438
"
Jonathan wrote:
I'm sorry that this occurred and we will be taking steps to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

I, for one, will forgive you this ONE TIME Jonathan! :P

PS - I love graphs!
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
Great dedication GGG , I hope you'll find and solve whatever was causing these issues .
yes keep up the hard work but this isnt the first time it happened before anyways this is a great game =] i realy like the game
Thanks for sharing this information with us. It's great to have some insight in the developement.I hope this problem won't happen a lot since you guys need to be well rested to finish the game overday :)
The beta play's great, godspeed to GGG!!
Just wanted to say that I really appreciate GGG's transparency and thank you for providing an outline of your action plan taken to rectify the situation.

Thanks Jonathan!
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info