HOLY CRAP, or my two cents on this whole thing

Wow people, I don't even think the addition of the lab got anywhere close to this kind of response and panic. But I'm going to throw mine into the mix anyway.

1. Instead of freaking out about the end of POE, why not wait and see? Maybe this will destroy the game we all know, maybe not. But, I can tell you this.

2. If lots of people start a boycott and stop purchasing supporter packs, that will be directly responsible for POE's demise. That being said, I think it is perfectly reasonable to abstain from purchasing packs until the end of a league instead of at the beginning. That is the power that we as customers have to voice our opinions.

3. My musing. I wonder if this came about because of Xsolla. I used to purchase a supporter pack almost every league. When payments were forced to go through Xsolla, I stopped. I won't spend any more money on POE until I am guaranteed that the payments will be safe. A lot of others I on the forum have expressed a similar sentiment. I wonder if maybe the decision to go with Xsolla cut incoming funds by such a degree that GGG was forced to look for capital elsewhere. I'd imagine that the deal with Xsolla is a contract that is either permanent or has a time frame to it. It isn't always easy or possible to back out of a contract, especially if it is with a large company and you are the little guy.

4. Tencent's goal is not to destroy POE, that would be stupid.
It also isn't to make a great game. Their goal is to make a profit. Those two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Hopefully all parties involved will be able to figure out how to attain both. That's as close add I get to optimism. Takeit for what it's worth.

Wolf
I'll take "Swords" for two hundred Alex.
-Faux Sean Connery
Last bumped on May 21, 2018, 9:48:32 PM
"
Tencent's goal is not to destroy POE, that would be stupid. It also isn't to make a great game. Their goal is to make a profit.

I'm only worried about this piece. I have this gut feeling that everything will go downhill even if Incursion will be a success.

But all we can do is wait and see, eh? I guess so.
My two cents on this situation:

I started gaming at the age of 5 and I'm now 30. I have seen many time a big corporation buying a small studio. And every single time it ended badly, the games went poor, everything was monetized, Franchises were killed, Studios were closed. I saw that every single time. It is just a matter of time.

I'm not saying POE is dead or will die tomorrow. But I can assure you, the game will change for the worst in a year... and give it more time and it will be dead.

That's my two cent. And I don't consider it being negative or overeaction. It's a simple matter of experience as I saw the exact same scenario multiple times.
We'll see, there is always hope.

But we should be ready to paid resurrection on HC, premium account features with automated trade and similar shit.
"
fwd wrote:

But we should be ready to paid resurrection on HC, premium account features with automated trade and similar shit.

Scary!

Not the "future" you are claiming is inevitable, but that you actually believe this will happen. Show me one place where Tencent has influence a game this way outside of Asia - and THEN we can start with doomsday prophecies.

It's like people hearing "China" and goes all havoc.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
fwd wrote:

Scary!

Not the "future" you are claiming is inevitable, but that you actually believe this will happen. Show me one place where Tencent has influence a game this way outside of Asia - and THEN we can start with doomsday prophecies.

It's like people hearing "China" and goes all havoc.

It's not doomsday prophecy. I just think we should be ready to worst-case scenario, but hope for the best.
"
fwd wrote:
We'll see, there is always hope.

This might as well read, "we should be ready to leave" which I believe many who are fundamentally opposed to P2W already are prepared to leave if it comes to that.

The thing is, others will take our place and pay for those things and that's okay. I left D3 when they made development decisions I didn't like a long while ago (soul bound items), and the game still thrived catering to other types of gamers...for a while.

It will be a sad day for me; but for others it might be a good day. There is always another game.
Last edited by Nubatron on May 21, 2018, 8:03:03 PM
"Supporting" was about supporting GGG not 80% going to some chinese multinational. I still can't blame them for selling out, just think of how much cash they got paid. Maybe PoE was going down even if they don't sell so might as well cash out.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info