There is a difference between investing, and buying out

"
Mikrotherion wrote:
You are bought, stupid company!
Customer, be well prepared for the end.

LOL Einhars on the case
"
Kiss_Me_Quick wrote:
Cool story, I don't give a shit who owns what. The discussion is about the game's success, not what views you have about the world.

That attitude makes no sense at all, because by the current GGG business model, "the game's success" is defined entirely by how much people are willing to support it.

And so, if we don't want to support China, the natural consequence is that the game will fail even if the developers still do a good job.

And if the game starts failing, they'll have to change the business model, and if they do that, most of us will hate them forever.
"
codetaku wrote:

And so, if we don't want to support China, the natural consequence is that the game will fail even if the developers still do a good job.

Don't make it about nationalities/ nations.
It's about a company; and yes, that company is a Chinese company. But that does not really matter (at least to me) - what matters to me is that what that company stands for, i.e. a business model that is very different from GGG's, which I liked.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
The only thing making my pants shake a little bit, is the following line:

"
Will Tencent try to change Path of Exile?
No. We spoke to CEOs of other companies that Tencent has invested in

"We spoke to..."? Really? So there's no contract on the table, ensuring this?
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on May 21, 2018, 10:25:00 AM
"
codetaku wrote:
"
Kiss_Me_Quick wrote:
Cool story, I don't give a shit who owns what. The discussion is about the game's success, not what views you have about the world.

That attitude makes no sense at all, because by the current GGG business model, "the game's success" is defined entirely by how much people are willing to support it.

And if the game starts failing, they'll have to change the business model, and if they do that, most of us will hate them forever.

What is this "we"?

Yeah dawg, everyone buys the supporter packs only out of good will! Nothing else!

You don't accept / have played / play Runescape? League of Legends? PUBG? These are only the few that pop off from my head.

Nobody actually gives a shit which country is being supported and some 5 neckbeards who are into some China is evil conspiracy theories doesn't affect the game whatsoever.
Not to mention that people STILL work and GGG. They still need to get paid and hire more people etc.

Also they won't change the business model because there never has been such case when it comes to Tencent. Only conspiracy theories.
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
"
codetaku wrote:

Not "entirely"... as Sarno pointed out in another thread, the game's population has changed over time. The earlier in the stream you joined the POE boat, the more likely this acquisition will disturb you, although I'm sure a lot of the old guard has already jumped ship either from boredom or disagreement with design choices.

It's very likely that a large revenue % of current players are people who view cosmetic MTX as a product they are purchasing rather than as a side benefit to supporting an independent game developer. Think about it - are loot boxes consistent with a business model hinging "entirely" on willing support?

Charan will probably disown me for this, but I'm very selfish (typical US-ian). I like playing fun games, so as long as POE remains a fun game, I'll be happy to continue playing it.

I'd be lying if I said this wouldn't make me want to purchase / support less in the future, though. (How's that for a litote?)
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
Yea this is the dumbest, dirtiest move GGG ever made. They WILL be dominated, I have never known a case where it didn't happen. This game is fucked. Not throwing another dime at GGG.

calm down.

while initially reading the first paragraph of the announcement, i felt horrible. reading on what they posted though really eased my mind. i didn't realize league of legends was owned by Tencent, but knowing this now i feel way more at ease about them owning path of exile.

lets get it straight though - Tencent bought majority shares of GGG meaning they own it and can do whatever they want with it, basically. but i feel better thinking they'll leave the international version intact with its development and NZ team just like they still have currently with league of legends.

if anything this will bring changes (positive ones) to the chinese version. and the extra funding towards boosting the chinese version could bring improvements (features and such) to the international version

congrats GGG! job well done
Last edited by xMustard on May 21, 2018, 10:31:52 AM
"
adghar wrote:

Charan will probably disown me for this, but I'm very selfish (typical US-ian). I like playing fun games, so as long as POE remains a fun game, I'll be happy to continue playing it.

And that's the bottom line here. We aren't investors. We are costumers. I'm not thinking about supporting GGG or Tencent when I buy packs; I think about supporting PoE. I don't view myself as a shareholder, even though I've spent more than thousand dollar on this game.

Do I think about Tencent or Riot when I play/support LOL? No, I think about the game. Do I want to support Activision or Blizzard or whatever when I play/support Overwatch? No. And until something changes, and it becomes clear to us that Tencent have some sort of direct (negative) influence on how PoE is being developed, I will keep paying for a product I like.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
xMustard wrote:
"
Yea this is the dumbest, dirtiest move GGG ever made. They WILL be dominated, I have never known a case where it didn't happen. This game is fucked. Not throwing another dime at GGG.

calm down.

while initially reading the first paragraph of the announcement, i felt horrible. reading on what they posted though really eased my mind. i didn't realize league of legends was owned by Tencent, but knowing this now i feel way more at ease about them owning path of exile.

Yeah, well, mission accomplished. :D
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/chinese-government-social-credit-score-privacy-invasion

If it happens, wonderful! The moment somebody puts themselves up for elected office, their trustworthiness score will drop to *zero*.

But people *WILL* learn how to game that system; the higher the trustworthiness score among the monied = the lower they can actually be trusted not to f* you over.
Patch Notes 3.15:
Fixed a bug where players believed the game was playable. This has been corrected and made retroactive.
Patch Notes 3.19:
Fixed a bug where players adapted to 3.15. This bug cannot be corrected, so we have implemented a 90% reduction in item access as a punishment.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info