Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

Something about selling 80% of your stock and remaining "an independent company" just doesn't mix.
"
Arobee wrote:
"
deMoxE wrote:
Relax guys, what happens to the boat is up to the captain.

But now they have a new captain and this captain likes to sink the fucking boat

Technically man, GGG is the captain and what's more important you cannot sink the boat because you don't own it completely.
"
deMoxE wrote:
"
Arobee wrote:
"
deMoxE wrote:

Technically man, GGG is the captain and what's more important you cannot sink the boat because you don't own it completely.

Tencent owns 80% of GGG, they're most definitely the captain and can most definitely sink the boat any time they want now.
I just hope the team members get raises and working conditions dont degrade. Which is just wishful thinking, seeing as holding conglomerates invariably fuck over all but the top level employees. The next year might probably be a good time to start looking for a new job.
"
ChanBalam wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:

I just shared the news with my GF, who has also met Chris and his, and it's fair to say we think the world of the Wilsons. And yknow, if this is the payday, so be it. If this is what it takes for Chris and co to take a break for once, to reap the rewards, I can't begrudge them that.

But I'm getting epic Garena flashbacks right now, and I'm thinking of just how soulless Tencent is as a company...and I just don't see this going well. Either we were played by GGG in supporting them as a local NZ company or GGG is being played by Tencent with the whole 'you will retain all control' spiel, which NO ONE is buying here. Neither is nice to contemplate, but I sure as hell hope it's the former. I really do.

It is likely that this will be a big payday for Chris and the other owners. They did work hard for it. Most game start ups have an exit strategy that includes being bought.

Since Tencent is planning to go public this year, buying GGG now will probably add to its IPO pricing. A couple of dollars per share difference could easily pay for the buyout.

I suspect that we won't see any changes to POE in 2018 unless Tencent replaces Chris.

I did just buy an Incursion supporter pack; I kinda wish I hadn't now.

I can't imagine that Tencent will continue the same business model GGG has used. They will want growth in users and profitability with fewer upgrades and expansions.

My guesses include:

2018: not too much change, maybe server improvements
2019: one less league or upgrade; same or higher prices for mtx; staff changes begin

When Tencent goes public, GGG financials should go public too.

As long as the game stays fun and interesting, I'll keep playing, but it won't feel the same.

Tencent already is public...
Created CurrencyCop and PoeBuddy.
Check out my Item Filters: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3510357
I did business in China. The corporate culture is ridiculous. One day one of the executives is going to get drunk together and say fuck it, we need more money and the game is no longer free to play.
"
deMoxE wrote:
"
Arobee wrote:
"
deMoxE wrote:

But that's not how it works, Tencent now owns 80% of GGG, they can do whatever they want with it because even if all the other shareholders vote against them, Tencent still possess enough of the company to outvote them.
Oops; my bad. An undated news story led me astray.

Next quarter financials from Tencent should include GGG.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
Last edited by ChanBalam on May 21, 2018, 12:14:20 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
MiniST wrote:
I did business in China. The corporate culture is ridiculous. One day one of the executives is going to get drunk together and say fuck it, we need more money and the game is no longer free to play.

It's treacherous to say the least. If Chris can retain creative and financial control, he'll have beaten some seriously long odds and defied a lot of precedents.

Pretty sure Tencent is playing chess while GGG is playing checkers.
Saved
"
Travesty9090 wrote:
The predictable scenario here is that Tencent and GGG have underestimated the fact that people's willingness to buy supporter packs/MTXs is to support an independent company. Now, that willingness declines, Tencent gets pissed their ROI isn't what they wanted, and they make changes. Then it's RIP.

pretty much this.
at least for what i think.

a) people spent money because "i dont support a company who just wants money,
but i support a game that i like and its development"-mentality.

this mentality is not given anymore, so people will spend less i think.

b) people are expecting the game turning into poop now,
so they will be less willing to spend money on it.

if a+b=c
and a=less money and b=less money,
then c=you need new ways to get money out of the game and its community.

whats your ideas on this?
i mean, its not that you gonna open a new cosmetics shop in the game, so....
what else then for better monetization?
especially if there is a company now behind you which wants you to produce money to regain there investment?
and if you know they will turn your game and your whole company into dogpoop if you cant please the needs of the new owner?

TLDR:
please publish at least a little letter to the community about your future plans for monetization or if you dont expect things to change.
Unknown rule type: SetFondSize
Last edited by MarboroMan on May 21, 2018, 12:14:50 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info