Re: progress and RNG

"
Chris wrote:
I don't like splinters, personally, because it involves counting up a number that's just a progress bar, and sure, it's got a cool icon, and you put them into a stack, and feel good about getting to 100. [...] We prefer real randomness where it's possible, because it's cleaner.
(Source)

I fucking love splinters for that exact reason. There's RNG in how often I encounter breaches and how many splinters I get from them, but it's nice to see that I'm actually making progress towards something instead of just hitting a slot machine over and over.

But hey, if you feel so strongly about it, may I also recommend removing the progress bar from gaining levels? How about, whenever you kill a monster, there's a flat chance (depending on your current level) that you will level up. And when you die, you have a separate chance to lose a level. That's a nice clean solution, right? None of that XP bar bullshit.

Or, you know, you might want to think about why XP bars have remained an essential element of RPGs literally since they were first invented, and apply that to other areas of the game.
Last bumped on May 21, 2018, 6:21:36 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
would you prefer a mirror drop to randomly happen in your normal playtime or would you like it to happen guaranteed after 30.000 hours of actively gaining xp?
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
would you prefer a mirror drop to randomly happen in your normal playtime or would you like it to happen guaranteed after 30.000 hours of actively gaining xp?

Those are definitely the only two options. Well done.
Last edited by suszterpatt on May 20, 2018, 12:58:50 PM
"
suszterpatt wrote:
Or, you know, you might want to think about why XP bars have remained an essential element of RPGs literally since they were first invented, and apply that to other areas of the game.

That would require he actually think about playing games... And playing the game is something he's not really done in forever.

But yeah, listening to him sputter about that is ironic given that they introduced divination cards 3 years ago for the exact OPPOSITE reason.

"
vio wrote:

Oh hey, GGG's most fervent white knight, I do have a question for you... Do you hear more excitement about players "farming for mirror drops," or instead about seeking out a chance for The Immortal/House of Mirrors cards?
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
"
suszterpatt wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
I don't like splinters, personally, because it involves counting up a number that's just a progress bar, and sure, it's got a cool icon, and you put them into a stack, and feel good about getting to 100. [...] We prefer real randomness where it's possible, because it's cleaner.
(Source)

Oh, that's why game have so many shity RNG that nobody likes.
E = mc^(OMG)/wtf
To be fair i thought he was saying 100 splinters into a stone was weak and uninteresting design over wanting to make it more random.

But with the memory frag change, is there really any over the top rng left to cry about?
"
DrDraids wrote:
But with the memory frag change, is there really any over the top rng left to cry about?

Shh, don't give them a challenge; if they tried, they'd certainly find something they could do to be even worse than the uber elder quest.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
"
suszterpatt wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
(Source)

I fucking love splinters for that exact reason. There's RNG in how often I encounter breaches and how many splinters I get from them, but it's nice to see that I'm actually making progress towards something instead of just hitting a slot machine over and over.

But hey, if you feel so strongly about it, may I also recommend removing the progress bar from gaining levels? How about, whenever you kill a monster, there's a flat chance (depending on your current level) that you will level up. And when you die, you have a separate chance to lose a level. That's a nice clean solution, right? None of that XP bar bullshit.

The biggest part you seem to be ignoring is why he says he prefers RNG. And, you messed up your quote.

"We will use real randomness occasionaly because... Skinner boxes and so on." 44:31 to 44:44 in the video.

Yeah, you've lost me completely when the CEO of the company itself is talking about using psychological techniques in games instead of just making it fun. You're no longer a valued player, but a lab rat that must be psychologically coerced into playing more, even to the point of discomfort. You're not playing because the game is that fun, rather that they've conditioned you.

I knew there was something inherently insidious about this game.
[removed by support]
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on May 21, 2018, 10:06:07 AM
"
vio wrote:
get lost, i asked some valid question and you just wasted my time posting shit.

Naw, it wasn't a valid question; it was asked in bad faith and in fact was outright flippant. You went for the most extreme, absurd example, bypassing anything in-between.

(If you want a more serious answer, I feel mirrors should be removed; they add nothing for >99.9% of players because they never come to interact or be even measurably indirectly affected by them in any way no matter what they choose; that's the definition of a useless gameplay element)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info