Bestiary as a Core Game Mechanic

It's fantastic that you're able to look at your work and judge it fairly.

Knowing a bit of the development issues you had while building Bestiary helps in understanding why and how it came to be what it is. I agree that it slowed levelling, wasn't really compelling, and the immediate drops never quite seemed to be worth the time/effort to bring down a red beast.

However, it was great that you gave us the chance to create items we may not have found for those that do SSF, or don't farm lab, or those like me that have awful luck when we do farm uber lab.

And I also know that you're all on a tight schedule, and that you need to decide quickly if you're keeping or dropping aspects of a league, but I HAVE to point out that the red/yellow beasts would make for a great addition/replacement to Tora missions. Right now you just rush into a pack of sickly-looking normal beasts and breathe them down. Adding a boss-beast that takes some effort to defeat and that drops rares/uniques would really spice up those dailies/encounters.
Please keep this machanic around ty your faithful subscriber ggg.
Great news, it would be hassle to have to deal with it all the time :)

Maybe bring flashback or legacy into standard? That would be fun :)

Art
Just curious, will the nets we have move to standard (even though they will serve no function), or will they be removed from our inventories at the end of the league? I kinda want to keep some as a memento...
"
Completed 31 ChallengesV1kingsfan wrote:
Just curious, will the nets we have move to standard (even though they will serve no function), or will they be removed from our inventories at the end of the league? I kinda want to keep some as a memento...
I can't recall an instance of GGG actually removing items from the game that aren't kiwihalt levels of bugged. They'll be fine - I still have tabs of leaguestones from Legacy.

Last edited by Hemmingfish on May 17, 2018 1:06:26 PM
Thanks for the reply! I also saw that some people are selling nets in standard so it should be safe to assume that they are here to stay.
"
Completed 17 Challengesalhazred70 wrote:
http://steamcharts.com/app/238960

Fact: Bestiary has the second highest peak concurrency of all leagues at 81k though it was sharper as the table flipping clear speeders wet themselves all over reddit and doubtlessly colored a lot of peoples view of the league.

Not a fact, actually: you can't use the graph above, because it "culls" data points in a dumb way after they're a month or two old, only showing an AVERAGE for that month, rather than the PEAK.

Rather, trust the sub-graph (used for narrowing the view) which doesn't condense the data like that. Or, y'know, average the February data and realize that when all's said and done, Steam Charts will report "Bestiary" as having a peak of something like 37,984. That's outright laughable!

"
Should it have been dropped 100% as a sacrifice to the casuals Chris Wilson wants to sweet talk back into the game?

It's hilarious that you insult other players as "casuals" when you've never even gotten to 30 challenges once... Hell, you've not even faced one of the endgame bestiary bosses yet! It's amusing to see this level of white-knighting, really.
Rufalius, LL Tendrils Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Moath, Doomsower Static Strike Juggernaut | Ofero, Oro's Lightning Strike Slayer | Tiotau, Self-Cast Frostbolt Inquisitor
"
ACGIFT wrote:
"
http://steamcharts.com/app/238960

Fact: Bestiary has the second highest peak concurrency of all leagues at 81k though it was sharper as the table flipping clear speeders wet themselves all over reddit and doubtlessly colored a lot of peoples view of the league.

Not a fact, actually: you can't use the graph above, because it "culls" data points in a dumb way after they're a month or two old, only showing an AVERAGE for that month, rather than the PEAK.

Rather, trust the sub-graph (used for narrowing the view) which doesn't condense the data like that. Or, y'know, average the February data and realize that when all's said and done, Steam Charts will report "Bestiary" as having a peak of something like 37,984. That's outright laughable!
There is nothing wrong with the graph nor with the interpretation of alhazred70.
Even if picking the "laughable" 37,984 of the month's average then beatiary has the second highest month's average all time. That is a sign of good marketing. If you don't like the fact that PoE was able to draw with beastiary the second most attention peak than better learn to read graphs, because the drop after the peak is very strong (obvious to see) and even the flashback peak is only half of the inital peak of beastiary. They did loss massively players during the league and only win half of them back with flashback. However, that is how every league looks like in the all time view. Marketing draw people in and then people drop out over time. The more important conlusion I see is that, while marketing does a good job, the game experience of the drop-outs can be improved to make them stay.
"
ACGIFT wrote:
"
Should it have been dropped 100% as a sacrifice to the casuals Chris Wilson wants to sweet talk back into the game?

It's hilarious that you insult other players as "casuals" when you've never even gotten to 30 challenges once... Hell, you've not even faced one of the endgame bestiary bosses yet! It's amusing to see this level of white-knighting, really.
Strong words by someone not having a single challenge done in the beastiary league... Plus, I wonder, why you consider the term "casual" insulting by all means. It is a fact that not everyone have the time to play like the hardcore gamers and that the casual gamers are very important for the success of any game, since they are by fare the larger playerbase to win. Logic implies that GGG has good reasons to care about casual gamers, which they actually do as well as they care about hardcore gamers. Oppionions maybe are different, but please let us remember to treat each others with respect when sharing different oppinions.

Btw. I think that beastiary is not dropped to please anyone. IMHO, it was dropped, because it was too hugh to be finished before the league started, and GGG realized that it is too much work to finish and maintain it when being integrated to standard league. Actually, the maintainance part is conformed in the manifest. The fact that Bastiary was not everyones darling just made the decision more easy for GGG. Beastiary was ambigious, GGG knew it, tried it anyway, and learned from it. That's all what happend and, to be honest, that's a brave spirit which is why I support this game.
Thanks for reading and enjoy the game.
Let's explore new playstyles - Play it your own way, not just like the others.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info