The Dark Immortal Call Effect

Should have been named Sin Immortal Call. The feathers.
Would have been perfect without em.
--
Last edited by nadakuu on May 1, 2018, 12:39:06 PM
"
Sarno wrote:
This MTX has the same problem as the Celestial Orb of Storms. It looks great, and I would want to buy it anyway - but I feel that it's easier to see than the default effect which taints my impression of it. Dark Immortal Call will be more consistently noticeable. The Celestial Orb of Storms has a more visible perimeter (imo). These aren't reasons I should have for wanting to buy skill MTX.

If the artists ever get a chance, I'd love it if they could look at some default skill effects and help improve them a bit. It'd be an excellent gesture and I don't think it'd negatively impact sales of skill MTX. I'm not asking to completely change them - just touch them up a bit.

I'd like to clarify that I'm not accusing you of intentionally doing anything underhanded. Just trying to highlight the fact that brand new MTX sometimes compare very favourably to rather dated default effects. That's not always a problem - but it can potentially confer a gameplay advantage.

tl;dr: This look fantastic, but... I'm not entirely comfortable with it. :/

I think you are going a bit to far here. As you admit it's your opinion, and thus pretty subjective.

To say mtx provide a competitive gameplay advantage is not really valid in my view.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
I think you are going a bit to far here. As you admit it's your opinion, and thus pretty subjective.

To say mtx provide a competitive gameplay advantage is not really valid in my view.

Prior to buying the Celestial Orb of Storms MTX I'd regularly be uncertain whether a specific enemy was within its range or just slightly too far away. I've not had that a problem a single time since - and I've thrown Orb of Storms into just about every build since then.

As for Immortal Call, I've died in the past when I had a CwDT IC setup and not been aware that it has triggered and was thus on cooldown. I haven't had the opportunity to test the Dark Immortal Call MTX, but from the video I find it hard to believe that I'd have that problem.

I'd consider both of these to be clear advantages that are outside the scope of what GGG's cosmetic MTX usually provide. While you're correct that that's an element of subjectivity involved, I've yet to hear from anyone who views the default effects as being easier to see. (Do you?)

Players base their actions on the information at their disposal, and that includes visual cues - which I think are probably the most prominent example. I'm not sure whether you're disagreeing with that or my opinion that some MTX are easier to see than some default skill appearances.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with Sarno. It's a subject that almost no gamer (and surprisingly few game DEVELOPERS) actually ever think about, but visibility is perhaps the most important part of a game's display. (graphics and artwork)

And yes, visibility has real effects on how well someone plays. I'm actually reminded of a parallel example from League of Legends, where Annie's "FrostFire" skin was seen as a form of "cheating," given that it it made the 3D indicator of her Pyromania (stun) proc being up HARDER to see, making it easier for her player, (who just simply only has to remember that they've cast 3 spells since her last proc) to surprise an enemy champion... Or simply easier to feint, because it'll take another split-second for her opponent to realize if she DOESN'T have her stun on hand.

But yeah, given how critical IC proc'ing is for a lot of builds, an important part of gameplay and staying alive (given most deaths are spike damage, so you go from 100->0 in two seconds or less) is knowing whether or not your CWDT is on cooldown or not. So yes, a more visible indication of CWDT going off would be an advantage that would mean just about any player will be less likely to die.

And like Sarno, I'm quite happy to support GGG, but... I do recall being told these were "ethical microtransactions;" I honestly feel kinda dirty if I feel that I'm having an unfair leg up because I support GGG. I wanted my support to be because of just that: because I SUPPORT them. If I wanted a game where I paid money BECAUSE I wanted an advantage, I'd go for one of those "pay-2-win" games, because there's NO shortage of those. It's the "ethical MTX" games that there's such a shortage of, though.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
Love it!
Embrace the vaal and the corruption! Only then, you will be bless by Atziri. That's how I got a Headhunter in the Atziri Apex of Sacrifice!
Meh, I think this would have been better in a mystery box. Going out of my way to buy it just seems unlikely.

Any eta on the Molten Strike MTX?
"
Chima wrote:
Not first! :)

P.S. does anyone actually manually trigger Immortal Call?

Manually casting IC while under the effects of bloodrage trigger soul of arakalli's "50% increased Recovery of Life and Energy Shield if you've stopped taking Damage Over Time Recently"

Lets slayer get those insane leechrates
"
ACGIFT wrote:
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with Sarno. It's a subject that almost no gamer (and surprisingly few game DEVELOPERS) actually ever think about, but visibility is perhaps the most important part of a game's display. (graphics and artwork)

I second this.

Actually, there is lot of stuff coverd by effects in this game making it much more difficult to realise stuff and much more then necessary.

It starts with little to no contrast between different skill effets, which makes Dark Immortal Call much easier to see, because it is a black effect in a cloud of effects shining bright as the sun.

Another example is the usage of on-screen messages, which massively increased with Beastiary League, covering half of the inventory on capturing a new beast and covering the character on revealing new recipies. This makes finishing fights and checking loot very odd.

Another example is covering labyrith traps with nova effects and I could continue a list of many other skills using area effects or clusters of projectiles, not speaking of hard to see ground effects.

Even artistic valuable MTX are covered by effects bluring the details for a more sensational appearance.

Sometimes I have the impression I need to turn of particle generators by using legacy version of direct x just to get a clear vision in games again. Maybe GGG is willing to lead by example making a more balanced and valuable usage of particle effects.
Let's explore new playstyles - Play it your own way, not just like the others.
Quality management is one of the most underrated success factors in every business...
Last edited by Synopse on May 2, 2018, 2:20:04 PM
That's a pretty cool effect there!
(Steam)MickeyDankMouse
(PSN)MickeyDankMouse
(Xbox)MickeyDankMouse
-MickeyDankMouse-

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info