Chill Ailment Question

I've read through quite a few posts, most of them are quite old now, pre-2.6, so I wanted to clear some confusion and refresh with some new questions.

1) Is an enemy considered chilled while they are frozen?

2) "Bonus against frozen enemies" (taryne's shiver, celestial punishment, etc.) AND "bonus against
chilled enemies" (stormheart, tasalio's sign, etc) will BOTH (simultaneously) apply, right?

3) Does every source of freeze inherently chill for the freeze duration then? Three dragons should
theoretically allow lightning damage to chill then, but only in the case of that lightning damage causing a freeze. Is the chilled tag "attached" to frozen? Or is it simply that, normally, chill and freeze happen to share conditions such that all freezes just happen to be chills, but when you change those conditions (IE; three dragons giving lightning freeze, but not granting chill) they simply don't overlap anymore?

4) the "Fingers of frost" passive node states enemies "BECOME" chilled. As easy as a test this would be, feedback from multiple sources and ease for future thread-searchers would be nice. Anyway, what are the conditions for this chill? Can any source of freeze allow this passive to proc? Or can only a source that can inflict a chill proc it?
Last bumped on Apr 26, 2018, 3:45:40 PM
This is an awesome thread. I hope it generates some good in-game testing or a GGG reply. :)

Here are my guesses:

1) No, but an enemy that gets Frozen also gets chill applied for the same duration (+300ms). I guess this chill will be a 10% chill. An enemy that was immune to chill but not freeze could be frozen without being chilled. Usually, an enemy that gets frozen will also have a normal chill applied by the cold damage that caused the freeze, but this chill would last 2s (and be up to 30% depending on damage dealt).

2) Yes.

3) I think there is a difference between damage being 'forbidden' from chilling, and just not contributing to the chill effect. For example, with three dragons, when it says "Your Cold Damage can Ignite but not Freeze or Chill", it doesn't mean you can't chill if you inflict cold damage. It just means your cold damage won't contribute to the total damage that can chill.
If freezing also makes an enemy chilled, it doesn't consider how the freeze was applied.

4) I am confident that regardless of how the enemy got frozen, it will chill as it unfreezes.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Apr 26, 2018, 9:35:51 AM
1) yes this was confirmed some time ago. I not willing to look for the quote though
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Apr 26, 2018, 9:38:52 AM
PS: Here is a fun way to test it:

Go to Sarn Arena
Get another (low-ish level, eg 53-60) player to equip Winterweave.
Equip Three dragons yourself (on a spell damage character), and use freeze mine + added lightning damage.
See if they can move while frozen.

You could also get them to equip Icetomb or winterheart as well, and see if they can still move while frozen.

You could also get then to equip the Stormheart, and see if they get shocked while they are frozen when you use Vessel of Vinktar.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Apr 26, 2018, 9:51:10 AM
Okay it turns out testing this is quite hard.

I want to try getting 0% natural chill/shock/freeze/ignite, and freezing an enemy with lightning damage via crit while wearing three dragons, and using stormheart, to utilize the "50% chance to shock chilled enemies" to cast a fire skill and check for shock. Theoretically, easy. Practically, impossible.

The corpses of frozen enemies explode and I can't tell if they were shocked. I guess you could find a boss of specific HP and freeze it, and with enough shock duration increases, you could shock them long enough to actually notice the shock effect's blue glow around them after they become unfrozen.

I don't have the right build or class to efficiently test this, so in the arena another person at a very specific amount of hitpoints would be easier.

Take enough damage to freeze long enough for a fire skill to be used on them, of which also doesn't kill them, all of which would leave them enough time to see the shock debuff(much quicker and more confidence than "seeing" the blue cloudy shock debuff on a boss model). Not sure I'll be able to play much in the next few days, I'll try to get back to the thread when I have the time, and extra hands, for this test.

EDIT: sans wall of text
Last edited by AbelsGambit on Apr 26, 2018, 3:47:02 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info