Looking for a new ARPG - very specific

While PoE is still my go-to ARPG, I haven't really tried any of the new stuff that came out since then. I'm wondering if there's something better for me out there.

I'm looking for two things out of this potential new game of mine.

1) End-game grinding

Path of Exile does this part great, and it is why I've been sticking to it for all these years. This is the most important aspect for me and it is a must-have.

I'm also willing to go out of my way to make this end-game grinding a reality. As an example, I've been playing SSF in PoE before it was even an actual league. So if you know of a game where end-game grinding is there but it's ruined by, say, an auction house, I'm completely willing and able to just ignore the auction house. If the game in question simply doesn't have end-game grinding(such as Torchlight or Diablo 3), then they're out of the picture.

2) Action combat

This is where Path of Exile falls short for me, and I'm looking for a new game. I'm talking about being able to dodge and maneuver around like Diablo 3, Monster Hunter, Torchlight...pretty much every game that isn't PoE.
www.twitch.tv/Sushin for various games, generally laid back
Last bumped on Apr 28, 2018, 7:03:36 AM
Rolls etc? Pretty sure that's Wolcen.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Median XL
or Grim Dawn but I haven't done much end game in that one. Titan Quest also recently had another expansion but it's basically Grim Dawn
Hmm I think I might actually give MedianXL another try lol. Just watching videos of people playing it is making me feel nostalgic.
You might want to give Warframe a look. Free to play on Steam. Active combat. Co-op or solo play. Grinding for crafting components to improve your warframe and weapons is basically the entire game. Action is hung on a good storyline. Gameplay is divided into missions via a world map. There are skills choices to be made as you improve and move through the story map.

They recently added a more 'open' world area, which I haven't tried so can't say how that is, but it didn't change the combat.
On the end game thing i cannot help you. On the combat department no ARPG EVER can be compared to the Souls series. I honestly beleive that Dark Souls was for this decade for ARGPs, what Diablo 2 was the previous, but for me even better in terms of overall presentation and atmosphere. It changed the genre forever. When people were talking about ARPGs in terms of Diablo Clone, currently they talk about Souls Like. Definetely the most influential ARPG of the decade with the best combat in any ARPG ever.

So if you never played any of the Souls Series, in a Month a remaster of the first game is coming out so definetely check it out.
Dying to get a new ARPG on console. Last one I picked up on PS4 was Vikings: Wolves of Midgard. I was immediately let down. It seemed okay at first but the co-op is broken.

I enjoyed Grim Dawn for a while but it quickly got old trying to get through the campaign for some reason. The combat seemed a little stiff but the loot explosions were nice at times. If I gave any another shot, it would be this.

Wolcen looks really great, but I haven't gone that way yet since it's not actually released. I didn't want to spoil it before it came out but I may have to.

I don't know why there aren't more. Just wish POE could've made it to PS4.
I looked into trying MedianXL and now I'm playing Diablo II LoD without the mod.

I'll keep an eye out for the rest, but they seem to not be anywhere near worth trying yet except Warframe and Grim Dawn. I still don't know if Grim Dawn has an endgame or not.
We're in a bit of a draught for seriously solid ARPG's. We have a few possible top contenders coming up, namely Wolcen and more recently Last Epoch shows promise too.

Then we have the lower rank games like Grim dawn and maybe torchlight?(never tried) and the casual stuff like D3.

And we also have the throwback games ofc D2 and mods like median mentioned. There are also other great mods shame i can't remember names it's mostly one of my friends playing those and telling me about them but they can be really grindy.

But in my opinion as far as a serious ARPG goes PoE is still the clear winner, for me it just has the problem that it feels pointless too fast(just grinding better numbers), and you can farm thousands of hours for something that ends up feeling somewhat pointless(except to show others) and somewhat after playing enough ´just doesn't really scratch my itch to restart over and over and use all my time on mindlessly grinding like that. I guess i got older and i seek more purpose now in things i do, it doesn't add as much life quality to me anymore to in next league repeat what i've done many times over and spent 15h a day farming what i have done many times before.

Because PoE just feels too flat for me or whatever we call it, in my desire of games i want to play i have been forced to dig into MMO's. I play those MMO's like ARPG's. I just stick to what i can do solo or what you can do with a small pickupground or whatever without serious commitments. This is what i find most enjoyable to develop my characters on atm. I can recommend GW2, it's a really good game do not listen to what the old GW1 growd whines about they don't see it with clear eyes but it's a super great game in it's own right. Very much i love the combat how active it is and you are dodging telegraphed moves and whatnot it feels really good, weirdly forgiving yet also can be as challenging as you want it and you really learn to take mechanics seriously or just die real fast. As far as endgame grind for that goes, it can take quite a while, but ultimate BiS stats(which are rather generic unfortunately) are relatively achieveable, what really takes the most time is getting the drops/crafts for the most expensive skins etc that is a loooot of work especially if like me you ignore playing AH for profits. Somehow that stats are generic doesn't actively bother me because somehow the game is just great and engaging to play for the most part. If you want to play it your way you can craft your way to the good stuff with serious effort that should be a serious carrot. I almost choked on my own saliva when i was checking mats for some legendary(highest quality level gear) and it cost nothing less than over 27000 of one material(wood) for the full crafting chain, of which trees when you find them give you normally 3 chops where each chop drops 1 wood and sometimes 2. I have never seen such high mat cost i laughed my ass off with that.

Anyway i like to try out MMO's because it's just a lot of interesting content to see and great charactization often, interesting abilities, itemization, good gameplay and the like.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Apr 28, 2018, 6:59:54 AM
I had my own phase of trying MMOs like an ARPG. It lead me to TERA, which was fun for a while but got really boring when it kept running me all over the place for quests. It's strange to me that I love mindlessly killing stuff for hours with PoE, but when I was given a purpose for killing stuff I got bored of it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info