Help me find something in PoE to research/memorize

Hi fellow exiles,

I am right now without a PC and so I am working to save for one. Until then, I will not be able to get back into PoE so I have decided to spend the time I would usually spend playing PoE for either researching in more detail on a particular aspect od PoE, watching streamers, memorizing prefixes and suffixes and so forth.

So this is what I have decided to do!

In this thread, post something you wanted or currently wish to learn more about in PoE and I will learn it and share what I learned about it in this thread. If I have already learned it I will relearn it! This means newbies are also welcome to post questions or inquiries that may seem like common knowledge to most but isnt to them.

Right now, while waiting for my first quest, I am memorizing prefixes and suffixes by alphabetical order.
(fuxk me)
Curly_Femboy, Level 95 Seismic/Exsang Saboteur (Scourge SC)
TakeCareOfMeDaddy, Level 97 Seismic/Exsang Saboteur (Expedition SC)
Bat_boy, Level 94 Wild Strike Assassin (Standard)
Last bumped on Apr 25, 2018, 2:56:59 PM
Ailment damage mechanics.

Good luck.
or use that time to learn something actually useful in real life ;)
PoE will be waiting for you when you get a new pc
"
blubbber wrote:
or use that time to learn something actually useful in real life ;)

Because having a hobby is bad.
Hey!
Thanks for being the first one!

So far what I know about Ailments is the following:

Ailments are status effects that can be applied to characters during battle. There are ailments that deal damage over time (poison deals chaos damage over time, bleed deals physical damage over time, ignite deals burning or ignite damage over time) vs. Ailments that do not (chill - slows movements of affected character, freeze - renders the affected immobile for a period of time, shock - target takes increased damage from all sources capable of dealing damage for the duration the shock is in effect).

Applying Ailments:

Ailments have a chance to be applied by damaging hits with attacks and spells for all characters except for bleed which can only be applied through attacks.

The base chance is 0% for inflicting status ailments except for chill which has a 100% chance to be applied if the character that is applying it makes an attack of the type of ailment being applied (i.e. cold damage for chill) and has successfully damaged the target (that means the target received >0 damage). This is not considering if the target has protections against the specific ailment, which would alter its damage or duration.

Ignite, freeze & shock have a 100% chance to be applied only by damaging critical strikes.

Bleed and poison have a 100% chance to be applied as long as the skill has a chance to cause bleeding or to poison the target.

You can increase your base chance to apply any ailment (except for chill that would be redundant unless there are specifics involved) off of your normal dmg through modifiers that give a " #% chance to inflict (ailment) on hit".

Damage dealt by damaging ailments is based off the BASE damage of the skill used to inflict that ailment. For example, ignite's damage over time is increased if the base damage of the skill used to apply it is increased. Simple example: fireball. If the damage for fireba increases, the burning damage or ignite damage will increase as well.

Ignite deals 40% of base fire damage as burning damage. Let us say that a skill is fire and physical, that is it deals 50% fire and 50% physical damage and its base damage is 100. This means that it deals 49% of 50% of 100 which is 40% of 50 which is 20. In this case, the hit of 100 has dealt 20 points of fire damage over time (ignite damage).

Any modifier to the damage of a skill that affects the skill directly does not apply to the ailment. For example, if a modifier increases the damage of a skill outside its base damage then it will not affect the ailment. Using the previous example above, if a modifier increases the damage of that skill itself and doesnt indicate base damage then it will not increase the damage of the ignite (the portion will stay the same). If a modifier says 30% additional damage with (insert name of the skill used above here) then, following the same numbers previously, 30% of 100 points of damage would be 30 so you would deal 130 damage. Ignite would kick in to see how much it would deal but it would not see 130 it would see 100 (and 100 is split into 50 fire and 50 physical as mentiones previously above), so it would take 40% of 50 which is 20 and deal 20 points of burning damage (ignite). So it has not been affected in this regard.

Additionally, all ailments are unaffected by attack, spell, weapon, melee, ranged, projectile and area modifiers.

We've established the modifiers that don't affect ailments but what about those that do?

All damaging ailments are affected by damage, duration, damage over time, elemental damage if elemental based (sorry poison and bleed), damage of the ailment type, and of course damage that has the name of the ailment it is affecting explicitly on it.

Modifiers that affect skill effect duration do NOT affect ailment duration. The duration modifier must be directly affecting the ailment or status effect (effects on target last 40% longer). Increasing the duration of a skill will NOT increase the duration of the ailment. For example, if a skill is initiated and the skill produces a spell that lasts for 10 seconds dealing fire damage then increasing the length of time for the spell will NOT increase the length of the ignite that is produced on that target due to the casting of that spell. The ignite base duration is 4 seconds. If the spell is increased from 10 seconds of raining fire to 12, the actual ignite will remain the same at 4 seconds.

Duration and damage values of Ailments:

Bleed lasts 5 seconds and is based off of 70% of the base physical damage dealt by an attack. If target is moving they get an additional 70% for a total of 140%. If you deal bleed to a target from two different sources, the bleed dmg will be combined. Only the highest bleed will tick at any given time.

Poison lasts 2 seconds. It can be stacked and therefore refreshed. It deals 20% of your total physical and chaos damage per second.

Ignite lasts 4 seconds and is based off of 40% of your base fire damage of an attack.
Modifiers to ignite were outlined above earliee.

Shock lasts for 2 seconds and the damage the target takes from all sources is capped at 50% which is achieved by dealing 10% dmg or greater of the target's max hp as lightning dmg.

Freeze lasts for 60 milliseconds for each 1% of target's max hp dealt as cold dmg up to 50%. This means that the longest a freeze can last for is 50x60x0.001= 3 seconds.

Chill lasts for 2 seconds. The severity of the chill is based on the damage dealt according to the maximum health of the target. 30% slow at 10% of the maximum life of the target is dealt by cold damage. 30% is the slow cap. Increasing the effect of chill makes it easier to chill the target. A 100% increase chill effect would mean dealing 5% of the target's max hp will make it move 30% slower as opposed to dealing 10% dmg.

Some random facts about ailments:
You can have more than one of any type of ailment on at once.
Resistances apply to ailments of the same type.
Damage dealt by damaging ailments is calculated separately from the attack's own damage.
Critical strike multiplier for ailments is currently 150%.

Thats what I found on Ailments so far.
Last edited by Robin99 on Apr 25, 2018, 9:43:38 AM
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
Ailment damage mechanics.

Good luck.

Done.
If there is a subcategory under ailment damage mechanics you want me to look up let me know.

Like how a specific skill would work or piece of gear or buff etc...

I like numbers too so any mathy stuff with respect to ailments feel free to ask about.

I just didnt know how deep you wanted me to go w.r.t ailment damage mechanics.
A logical explanation to all of GGG's development choices...
There's no powercreep here. Creep implies it's slow and could be overlooked, this is a full out sprint.
is this tryharding or what :D
d:-D*
"
PyleWarlord wrote:
is this tryharding or what :D

:)
Im just trying to satiate my need to play poe now with something related to it.

"
cpurdy777 wrote:
A logical explanation to all of GGG's development choices...

People have children who depend on them for food.

GGG is a company filled with people.

Food cost's money.

Next!

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info