Are shields ever useful? (read inside)

"
tomay wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
Ive seen req lvl36 rings that are great endgame rings

Got that beat...

Currently in use with my lvl 99 Chieftain. ;)

As for the question at hand... there way too many extremely useful shields in the game to list them here. OP will learn from experience, not to worry. ;)

good endgame rings lol that is trash

you being level 99 dosent mean you do endgame stuff ;=) alot of dried lake warriors lol
Only a dumbass pays for a F2P game.
that ring is fine, if the cast speed was attack speed it wouldnt change the level requirement and it would be a great endgame ring, so it proves the point.

dried lake warriors... looking through your characters im not exactly impressed with your own gear, rings with benched life, tons of 5Ls etc, highest lvl character is 92, sig suggesting a general pond dweller attitude, randomly attacking ppl in threads for no reason.

yeah, probably best you just keep it in your pants m8, its not impressing anyone.

Not sure if it was alredy mentioned, but imo there is a big difference between caster builds and attackbuilds.

Casterbuilds love shields, for two reasons: 1) Castershields can provide almost as much damage as a casterweapon (spelldmg, elemental dmg, castspeed, critchance - all that good stuff can roll on a shield). 2) You get to use shieldcharge + Fortify.
The advantages of mobility, potential liferoll and free block overcompensate the small dps loss compared to dualwield.

With attackbased builds though the attackspeed and the various "statstick" options typically outweigh the advantages of a shield. (Unless you can use a GG unique like lycosidae).

That being said Maxblock builds (with necro or Gladiator) are still strong and viable, just not meta. But when your not investing into block at all, it's not doing much.
dedadadadedoodoodoo is all i want to say to you
"
noheal wrote:
"
tomay wrote:

Trash? Admittedly, it's not a shaped/elder ring But TRASH??? This planet you're from, how far from the sun are we talking?

T1 life, max cast speed, DEX (which I soreley need), 57 res... certainly good enough for me.

"
noheal wrote:
you being level 99 dosent mean you do endgame stuff ;=)

Face-tanking The Shaper endgame-stuffy enough for you?

"
noheal wrote:
alot of dried lake warriors lol

Your hare-brained idea to level a character to 99 in Dried Lake makes your limited knowledge even more obvious but, hey, we really do appreciate this special time you've set aside to humiliate yourself in public. ;)
Last edited by tomay on Apr 25, 2018, 11:45:24 AM
"
tomay wrote:
"
noheal wrote:
"
tomay wrote:

Trash? Admittedly, it's not a shaped/elder ring But TRASH??? This planet you're from, how far from the sun are we talking?

T1 life, max cast speed, DEX (which I soreley need), 57 res... certainly good enough for me.

fundamentally its a 7% cast speed ring with life, no it really isn't anything to write home about, you'd use it as long as resists permitted and you didn't have a well rolled opal to use instead (any opal with the element your using rolled on it with an essence will outperform this if it hits any of a myriad of options)

Not saying i'd vendor it for sure but when people say endgame gear or GGG gear they will always get flak from people who actually have endgame gear or know what it looks like, i'd love to say I had some to display but I'm just not that lucky ^^

"
Draegnarrr wrote:
fundamentally its a 7% cast speed ring with life, no it really isn't anything to write home about, you'd use it as long as resists permitted and you didn't have a well rolled opal to use instead (any opal with the element your using rolled on it with an essence will outperform this if it hits any of a myriad of options)

Not saying i'd vendor it for sure but when people say endgame gear or GGG gear they will always get flak from people who actually have endgame gear or know what it looks like, i'd love to say I had some to display but I'm just not that lucky ^^

You know yourself, getting an Opal Ring with max cast and max life and required attributes and decent resistances is very much like winning the lottery... ;)

The ring certainly isn't vendor trash... and I only posted this lvl 35 ring because someone said he's seen lvl 36 rings used for endgame. Is it "endgame gear"? That's in the eye of the beholder but I'm using it for endgame. While there are better rings indeed this ring suits me perfectly fine and I certainly don't feel the need for 15-25% increased elemental damage from an Opal Ring.
Last edited by tomay on Apr 25, 2018, 12:42:04 PM
That wasn't the example I used though, getting an opal and rolling a screaming anger on it gives you ~ 50% fire damage and only has to hit life to compete as the linked ring is basically life + cast speed (you could beast craft an opal atm and probably get better)

Again i'm not saying its a bad ring but its not an endgame item, i'd be looking to upgrade eventually
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Apr 25, 2018, 1:35:58 PM
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
That wasn't the example I used though, getting an opal and rolling a screaming anger on it gives you ~ 50% fire damage and only has to hit life to compete as the linked ring is basically life + cast speed (you could beast craft an opal atm and probably get better)

As I said, there certainly are better rings...

However, things are not always as clear cut. I'm playing STD atm, so beast-crafting is not an option. Since I'm playing in STD I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred ex on gear but getting such dream rings isn't all that easy in my case. A quick check on trade, filtering T1 life/Cast/24 Dex/Light res/Fire damage, returns no opal rings at all. 159 DEX (lvl 21 BV) is a tough ask for a Marauder, most of which has to come from Boots and two rings and Cast Speed on both rings to maintain the BV stack is a bit more important than a few % increased damage. And with not much resistances on the uniques I have equipped, over-capping resistances is a bit problematic, a fact not helped by 3% increased max resistances. Bottom line: T1 Life and Cast Speed and resistances are most important to me, anything else is a bonus with which I can do without. Why I'm quite happy with my "trashy" (non-Opal/shaped/elder) rings. ;)

Edit: Sure I can replace my Belly with some b@d@$$ Astral Plate, this would make over-capping much easier... but then I would loose "+1 to Level of Socketed Gems", not sure if it's really worth two Opal Rings.
Last edited by tomay on Apr 25, 2018, 2:23:20 PM
That rings probably 20ex on standard, but that isn't because its a 20ex ring its because buying a fucking lettuce costs 300c on standard :/ god the economy is so vile i don't know how anybody actually plays that hasn't been there for years.
Its actually worth maybe 10-15c on standard Id say, and it would sell at that price as a physical attack ring that has t1 life, t1 flat phys, dex and resist, its a 4 stat attack ring with the important two t1s. The economy there is pretty much the same as a temp league thats 2 weeks old tbh. Some stuff is a little more expensive but honestly thats just a bonus because when you find things like a starkonjas its worth a few chaos rather than 1 chaos.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info