Cyclone vs Uber Elder. Help.

Did anyone kill Uber Elder with Cyclone? What do u think about my build? Do I have any chances to kill him with it with at least 6 portals?

Will be glad to hear your remarks and adjustments.

https://pastebin.com/U1ba7mVx
Last edited by An4LPunishment on Apr 21, 2018, 5:05:52 AM
Last bumped on Apr 23, 2018, 9:16:08 AM
I beat him with mjolner discharge triggered by cyclone. A couple of things off the bat you have to learn the fight and there's no way around that except broken op builds. You need solid cold mitigation, solid sustain and solid mechanical gameplay with cyclone. Learn shaper timing (it's predictable) and get into the habit of cycloning on elder perpendicular to the direction shaper is going to attack. He does 3 sets of balls then a blaze thing, make sure you time things so he blazes away from elder so you can dps while he is doing the blaze thing. If your dps isn't high (500k+) then you need to be able to survive all the cold/phys degens you will end up with by the end of the fight.
"
ladish wrote:
I beat him with mjolner discharge triggered by cyclone. A couple of things off the bat you have to learn the fight and there's no way around that except broken op builds. You need solid cold mitigation, solid sustain and solid mechanical gameplay with cyclone. Learn shaper timing (it's predictable) and get into the habit of cycloning on elder perpendicular to the direction shaper is going to attack. He does 3 sets of balls then a blaze thing, make sure you time things so he blazes away from elder so you can dps while he is doing the blaze thing. If your dps isn't high (500k+) then you need to be able to survive all the cold/phys degens you will end up with by the end of the fight.

Thanks for deployed answer. What do u think about determination, should i drop it vs uber elder and get other good aura? Or Determination vs uber elder isnt so useless? I use it cos i use Abyssus and trying to mitigate phys dmg. Or better drop abyssus and lost some dmg for more survivability?

Also i use Purity of Ice. Maybe i can drop determination and Farrul's Fur and use Aspect of the Cat with reserved mana. And change armour for something else, like Kaom's Heart.

Last edited by An4LPunishment on Apr 21, 2018, 5:55:27 AM
"
"
ladish wrote:

Thanks for deployed answer. What do u think about determination, should i drop it vs uber elder and get other good aura? Or Determination vs uber elder isnt so useless? I use it cos i use Abyssus and trying to mitigate phys dmg. Or better drop abyssus and lost some dmg for more survivability?

I'm not sure if abyssus impacts the damage you take from phys degens? My experience in the fight is that shaper balls and degens are the only super rippy stuff. Elder I guess hits pretty hard with phys but I don't think it should 1 shot even with abyssus. The more you drop dps the longer the fight takes and the more degens you have to negotiate by the end. I would personally resign myself to ripping some sets to figure out how much survivability to add in vs dps loss.

Maybe you can get advice from a pure cyclone player since I imagine the dps is much higher than what I had but less tanky.

e: determination probly not as much use as lvl 20 purity of ice or vitality.
Last edited by ladish on Apr 21, 2018, 6:01:15 AM
his dets got 8% extra phys reduction from the eye its probably worth wearing (with the abyssus)
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Apr 21, 2018, 6:04:30 AM
Armor in other words is quite useless in this fight since degen is not reduced by it and the phys hits you ar egonna be taking are 5k+ damage. I'd say self casting end cry with some end charge duration on the tree is not a bad idea when you feel safe enought to stop and cast it.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
"
Did anyone kill Uber Elder with Cyclone? What do u think about my build? Do I have any chances to kill him with it with at least 6 portals?

Will be glad to hear your remarks and adjustments.

https://pastebin.com/U1ba7mVx

Judging from your gears in POB I think it's all just about practice.
Generally Abysuss is bad for UberElder, as it make the physical-degen ground very deadly, but since you are Jugg, I guess that wouldn't be too much of problem.

Here I just re-post the guide that I wrote about cyclone against UberElder, although it was for Slayer/Scion cyclone, but I guess many things still applied for you (And even easier, since Jugg have many advantages in this fight).

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2022153

My cyclone kill on UberElder (RT,Starforge): https://youtu.be/tcxXHaof9o0
Crit Starforge version: https://youtu.be/y3GNhNHc9YE

"

This fight is separated into 4 phases:

A: Shaper phase (Elder is invulnerable)
B: Elder phase (Shaper is invulnerable)
C: Door phase (Either Shaper or Elder door, and both boss are invulnerable)
D: Final phase (Both are not invulnerable, but only Shaper can be culled)

The sequence go like this: A->B->C(elder door)->A->B->C(shaper door)->A->B->C(elder)->D
Each phase is passed after the Shaper/Elder lose 25% of their total life, or after a fixed timer(Door phase).

Phase A is rather easy for us, since the yellow balls from shaper deal no damage at melee range (they require a minimum traveling distance to be "armed"), you can just cycloning close-near to Shaper without any fear. Elder will shoot you with ice spikes, but at this stage you should tank those spikes easily with leech as Slayer (Spikes don't have cold penetration, so Purity of Ice and Sapphire is very effective).
The major risk is that the shaper will constantly teleport around the arena, and during the searching for shaper you can be stunned by the Elder ice spikes and then killed by shaper balls (The Slayer nerfed in losing stun immunity is actually big here). But as long as you can engage Shaper quickly and start spinning, this phase is easy.

Phase B is the most difficult one. Elder is mostly immobile, but Shaper will constantly cover the elder with Balls and Laser. The big trick here is try to lure the aiming of Shaper into other direction, since the Shaper will only target your last location. Shaper usually fire 3~4 rounds of balls then followed by 1 laser. In best situation, you want to lure the all the balls and laser away from Elder and deal damage to elder before the Shaper start aiming again, but in practice, the firing of shaper balls is very rapid, so you should try focus on luring the Laser away as your first goal, since the Laser last few seconds, allowing you have big time window to burst the Elder (Save your DPS flasks for this opportunity). Another thing you have to pay attention here is that the shaper would still teleport around the arena, so the direction of balls and laser will also change.
In short: Always put most of your attention on the Shaper, even if he is invulnerable, since he is the real boss here for Slayer cyclone.

Phase C is just spawning trash for you to fill your flask, just always pay attention on the location of Shaper, and keep moving (even better if your movement is vertical to the direction of shaper balls/laser). You don't have to kill the elder door, just clear the spawn and the door will disappear after fixed time. For Slayer, you can try to kill one Door to get the 20 sec Onslaught from Bane of Legends, since the Door is an unique monster, and Slayer can even intentionally leave some small squids behind (just no big squids, they can spawn DOT ground), so you can use them to proc Headsman (20% more damage) later in phase A or B (small squid deal almost 0 damage if only few of them left).

After the first round of A->B->C, the Elder start to dish out some new trick in later rounds (mostly during phase B).

The first trick (and the most deadly one) is the Slow phase. This can't be avoid (even if you manage to dodge the initial animation or leave the siphoning cone) and can't be dispelled by any flask, it always slow you down for quite few seconds. The slow by itself is still manageable if you pop a quick silver, but this slow is absolutely deadly if you are also chilled (it's impossible to dodge anything with slow and chill, and the stun duration get almost doubled in this status). Always keep one usage of chill removing flask for this situation, and always short spin your cyclone so you can stop spinning as soon as you saw the elder diving animation (Getting slowed and stuck in cyclone animation is very deadly). Koam's Root and Jugg ascendancy trivialize this mechanics, but you can't possibly sacrifice 30~35% movement speed as cyclone build to wear Koam's Root just for this situation.

The second trick from elder is the tentacle, they deal quick some damage (2~3K per hit) and will stun-lock you if you get caught, but is very easy to dodge (just normal moving is enough).

The final trick is the elder shower, this seem do deal no damage if you are directly under him, and even if you get hit by the shower, it's only just about 1~2K damage, nothing big. Just remember that elder will do a "delayed" slam aiming at your last location after the shower, dodge that and you're fine.

If you manage into phase D as Slayer, you are basically passed, since phase D start with both Elder and Shaper at 25% health, you should instantly cull the shaper at 20%. And without Shaper, the Elder alone is just a joke (even if he can't be culled).

Last edited by Drosophila on Apr 23, 2018, 7:58:02 AM
I've done Uber elder a few times on my cyclone slayer on bestiary softcore, though it would be quite a bit easier if I was Slayer/Raider Ascendant (it's a lot more faceroll as you get slayer overleech, cull, and perma raider speed from frenzies/onslaught. (Aside from the over-leech, just the regular slayer ascendancy is pretty shit for uber elder as its tough to keep uptime on your % More damage after killing, and you're slow as all hell). Even so, I actually was able to down him in 4 portals my very first attempt at it.

You need to be good at knowing where you clicked to cyclone to, and be very good at using cyclone properly as it is an ability that does take a good amount of skill to use when you are needing to dodge stuff fast (try to avoid clicking to cyclone too far away from yourself as you want to be locked down for as little time as possible, keep your cyclones short and close to you). One wrong use of cyclone too far away and it'll path you to the completely wrong spot and you cannot stop yourself, and then you eat 2 shaper balls without being able to do anything about it and thats gg. In general it is a very annoying ability to do the uber elder fight with as you cannot immediately control when you stop cycloning.

If you are doing the fight as Jugg though without overleech or cull, you are going to have to play really, really good or you're not going to be able to do it. That is like hard-mode.
Last edited by Enzymaticc on Apr 23, 2018, 9:04:50 AM
"
Enzymaticc wrote:
I've done Uber elder a few times on my cyclone slayer on bestiary softcore, though it would be quite a bit easier if I was Slayer/Raider Ascendant (it's a lot more faceroll as you get slayer overleech, cull, and perma raider speed from frenzies/onslaught. (Aside from the over-leech, just the regular slayer ascendancy is pretty shit for uber elder as its tough to keep uptime on your % More damage after killing, and you're slow as all hell). Even so, I actually was able to down him in 4 portals my very first attempt at it.

You need to be good at knowing where you clicked to cyclone to, and be very good at using cyclone properly as it is an ability that does take a good amount of skill to use when you are needing to dodge stuff fast (try to avoid clicking to cyclone too far away from yourself as you want to be locked down for as little time as possible, keep your cyclones short and close to you). One wrong use of cyclone too far away and it'll path you to the completely wrong spot and you cannot stop yourself, and then you eat 2 shaper balls without being able to do anything about it and thats gg. In general it is a very annoying ability to do the uber elder fight with as you cannot immediately control when you stop cycloning.

If you are doing the fight as Jugg though without overleech or cull, you are going to have to play really, really good or you're not going to be able to do it. That is like hard-mode.

Thanks for good answer. I tried as Jugg already, it was impossible for me, not enough sustain + not enough skill. Now i build Scion Slayer/Raider Cyclone, it should be much-much better. Lower damage but 8k life and 4.6k leech per sec should be good.

p.s. what pantheons did u use?
Last edited by An4LPunishment on Apr 23, 2018, 9:17:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info