My dog just died

"
Ethan_GGG wrote:
I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss :( It's very tragic to experience situations such as this first hand, and I sincerely hope you never have to again.

I've also recently lost my friend Bax, which you can see below (left) sitting with his best friend Juke (right).

We haven't been the same since Bax left us, and I think Juke has felt it the worst. Just know Maui is probably lying on his back throwing his weight around with Bax as we speak!

I'm sorry for your loss as well. It's such a difficult thing to go through. I feel like there's just no words that are strong enough to use to express how deep the grieving goes, how much it can hurt to lose such companions. All we can do is share the pain to make it slightly more tolerable and to remind ourselves of all the great times we had together, of every little things that was unique to our dog. The hardest is repeating tasks you usually did with your companion but without him.

The hardest one for me was going outside and seeing the usual path we'd take and thinking about how it would never ever happen again. Just thinking about it is enough to make me cry despite him being gone for almost a week.

I wish to thanks for everyone for your support.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
Sorry for you too, Ethan! :( Btw, both doggies look sweet.
Censored.
"
faerwin wrote:
honest question MrSmiley, Are you able to feel empathy?

Also, how old were you at that time? Death is one of the few things that we only really understand in the later development of our brains, especially when the death isn't directly affecting our life.

I don't completely lack empathy, but it's been determined that my capacity for empathy is extremely diminished. That's just the way my brain works. I was born that way. My dad is like that, as were his brothers, and my grandfather. It's probably genetic.

I got a theory that people who lack empathy must have had some ancestors who went through extremely traumatic and hard times, or war, probably for periods of a few hundred years, and their brains adapted to their environment. Stuff like dead bodies, starving children, etc, must have been common enough to where the only logical way to adapt was to stop caring enough to let it weigh you down.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Apr 26, 2018, 7:17:22 PM
I don't know if it's genetic or not but that explains your reactions. Not to say it's your fault but you are wired differently from most humans in that regard and it makes you unable to relate to my situation.

But like you said, it is a concept that's alien to you. There's not much to say here except to say that I can't understand how you can feel that way and you can't understand why I feel the way I did. Essentially, "agree to disagree" towards emotions.

It looks like genes can play a significant role with lack of empathy from a quick glance at some articles.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
Last edited by faerwin on Apr 26, 2018, 7:21:11 PM
I'm over losses pretty quickly. I've had family members and friends die, or people who I was sorta close to, and I got over it extremely quickly. Like wake up the next day, and go about my routine normally.

Best friend died in a motorcycle accident a few years back. He didn't wear a helmet, and his head hit the pavement and went splatterino like a melon. For how many days am I supposed to lock myself in a room and burn through tissues over something like this? The answer for me was zero. Not one, single tear. He was a cool dude, but shit happens, and life moves on.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Apr 26, 2018, 7:41:50 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
I'm over losses pretty quickly. I've had family members and friends die, or people who I was sorta close to, and I got over it extremely quickly. Like wake up the next day, and go about my routine normally.

Best friend died in a motorcycle accident a few years back. He didn't wear a helmet, and his head hit the pavement and went splatterino like a melon. For how many days am I supposed to lock myself in a room and burn through tissues over something like this? The answer for me was zero. Not one, single tear. He was a cool dude, but shit happens, and life moves on.

As long as you are able to respect the grieving period of others and accept that not everyone deal with grief the same way, then you are fine. Just like it would be wrong for others to try to make you feel bad because you didn't feel like shit for X period of time.

Everyone deal with grief differently. Accept that, help them if you feel like it but don't insult/berate them because their methods/length is different than yours (this isn't aimed at you).
I get pissed off over material losses though. Like mad enough to rage. My brain recognizes material objects as being worth more than people. And I think this sorta ties into my theory about this being an inherited trait. In ancient times, people were cheap, and material objects had more value.

I don't feel like I belong in this century. I would prefer someone drop me off in 800AD, where I can join a team who's getting ready to attack some Christians, and get loot.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Apr 26, 2018, 7:49:00 PM
I read your account of your dog and thought that you actually appreciated the red in tooth and claw dog-nature of your dog. I'm sure your dog loved wrecking cats and such, as terriers do. Ever seen one go through a barn full of rats? It's incredible.

Dogs do feel love, and your dog loved you.

"
This means that a dog will have all of the basic emotions: joy, fear, anger, disgust and even love. However based on current research it seems likely that your dog will not have those more complex emotions like guilt, pride and shame.

Humans tend to sentimentalize dogs way too much. They are not like us, and for that I am glad. That being said, I love my dog to bits.

I didn't think your post was respectful of the grief expressed in the thread, not at all.

"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
In ancient times, people were cheap, and material objects had more value.

Hm. Like any time where power over others' fates and the accumulation of possessions are highly valued, in an economic sense, poor people were cheap, and rich people set the value of them. No different today.

I think you think raiding was easier and more godless than it actually was. People believed in a lot of things back then, and fervently.

To those who love them, people have always been of infinite value.

I realise this is pretty off topic in this thread... Faerwin, please say if you'd prefer to talk about the joy side of dogs and Maui/ our dogs.

Last edited by erdelyii on Apr 28, 2018, 5:40:34 AM
I don't mind as long as it stay within the vicinity of the subject and that it's respectful towards my grief.

Also, I can assure you that at least some dogs can feel guilt or shame (maybe not both, since they are fairly similar). As for pride, I don't know but I've never seen a dog acting prideful so it might be true.
I do like dogs, just not enough to become emotionally attached to them.

At the place where I work, one of the residents had something that looked like a Bullmastiff, but it had a grey coat. Really cool dog. I walked up to pet it and they said it usually wasn't friendly with people. The dog was big enough where most people were probably scared of it, and dogs can sense fear in people.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info