My dog just died

Sorry to hear about your loss. Pets can become a part of the family, and their unconditional love is something few people in our lives match. It sounds like Maui was well loved. R.I.P.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Lost my Lulu a couple of years ago, a beagle who made it to just about 14 before dying to complications from a cyst. I still miss her terribly. Can't find a better buddy than a boogle. You and I have our disagreements, but Boogle Buddies can get over that. I'm sorry for Maui. It's wretched to watch them go, even if it's for the best.
I’m sorry for your loss. I think Dalai’s said it best; a pet’s unconditional love transcends most human relationships. Here’s to fond memories and healing.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
faerwin wrote:
Maui died on april 19 2018 from euthanasia.
It really bothers me that I can't make a proper John Wick joke here without knowing I'll be censored for inciting violence against veterinarians.

It's a joke, alternate timeline mods. It's a goddamn joke.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you. I have a beagle mix, he's 10, reminds me a lot of your Maui. He loves all food, all the time, pees on everything and loves the butt rubs. I got quite choked up reading your post, but thank you, I needed it and so do you. It's good to verbalize this stuff, in some weird way it makes you feel better dealing with the grief.

Remember the wonderful things, the happy times, the cuddling and the kisses. His energy will continue to surround you and eventually turn the grief into something less. I can't say you'll ever forget, but the grief will lessen with time and the good memories will rise above.

"
faerwin wrote:

I would have gamble on the 5% chance.
"
deathflower wrote:
"
faerwin wrote:

The only reason I didn't gamble on it is that he would have suffered through the treatment at 100% certainty.

His quality of life was almost entirely gone. Whenever he tried to sleep, he would slowly put his head down and eventually choke while resting his head due to trachea obstruction so he'd lift his head up again. Repeat this through the night until he gets lucky enough to not choke. The choking was partially due to him being hydrated (mucus) so his solution became to stop drinking.

Eating caused him to choke most of the time so he stopped eating almost entirely. This made him almost too weak to walk (he was walking extremely slowly) and his distances became 1/4th of what it was normally.

At the end, he was having some mucus coming out of his nostril and I noticed bleeding from his rear paws too, which might have been due to his constant position.

The only times he was being active in a day was when we were eating food at the table (and active means sitting next to us), when we'd come home or during a walk (and this was for very limited periods of time). Overall, in a whole day, he'd spend maybe 30 minutes not laying forward...

He wasn't so much in pain (except when trying to eat) as he was being extremely uncomfortable. Imagine how you'd feel if you just couldn't sleep...

Finally, there was the associated cost. The oncologist was talking of costs going from 3k for the best case scenario (cancer being present only on his thyroid and ganglions) to 5k+ if it was spreading to the lungs and towards the brain (the nostril mucus/boogers and extremely smelly eye secretions. Quite frankly, I could afford up to 6k but that's essentially all the money I've got but I feared being unable to keep up with the costs.

That said, the reason I didn't do the gamble was that I didn't want him to suffer for a near non existent chance. Remove the suffering from it and I would have gone for it despite cost.

Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
Last edited by faerwin on Apr 20, 2018, 2:32:25 PM
"
Deathflower wrote:

Would have been, should have beens. Faerwin made the best decision under difficult circumstances. I've been there too. Second guessing does no good.

Censored.
"
faerwin wrote:
"
deathflower wrote:
"
faerwin wrote:

The only reason I didn't gamble on it is that he would have suffered through the treatment at 100% certainty.

His quality of life was almost entirely gone. Whenever he tried to sleep, he would slowly put his head down and eventually choke while resting his head due to trachea obstruction so he'd lift his head up again. Repeat this through the night until he gets lucky enough to not choke. The choking was partially due to him being hydrated (mucus) so his solution became to stop drinking.

Eating caused him to choke most of the time so he stopped eating almost entirely. This made him almost too weak to walk (he was walking extremely slowly) and his distances became 1/4th of what it was normally.

At the end, he was having some mucus coming out of his nostril and I noticed bleeding from his rear paws too, which might have been due to his constant position.

The only times he was being active in a day was when we were eating food at the table (and active means sitting next to us), when we'd come home or during a walk (and this was for very limited periods of time). Overall, in a whole day, he'd spend maybe 30 minutes not laying forward...

He wasn't so much in pain (except when trying to eat) as he was being extremely uncomfortable. Imagine how you'd feel if you just couldn't sleep...

Finally, there was the associated cost. The oncologist was talking of costs going from 3k for the best case scenario (cancer being present only on his thyroid and ganglions) to 5k+ if it was spreading to the lungs and towards the brain (the nostril mucus/boogers and extremely smelly eye secretions. Quite frankly, I could afford up to 6k but that's essentially all the money I've got but I feared being unable to keep up with the costs.

That said, the reason I didn't do the gamble was that I didn't want him to suffer for a near non existent chance. Remove the suffering from it and I would have gone for it despite cost.

I would choose what I would have done in such situation, goes down fighting and suffering rather euthanasia. Not like you can ask the puppy what he want though.
It wasn't my fight though, it was his. And while I absolutely despise choosing death when something is treatable, even with awful odds, I know he was suffering. He'd come to me in the day and had this look in his eyes that asked for help. It was so hard to bear for me...
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info