Skill Gems issue

I just cant seem to wrap my eyes around all the skill gems, i can pretty easily tell the difference between support skills and everything else but thats about it.
Gem icons just look far to similar, an icon is supposed to be a kind of synopsis of what something is/does so that it can be understood at a glance and with repeated use a memorized representation of that thing.
Yes the Gem icons currently in use in POE do have meaningful information, only its obfuscated by how small the details are and how little contrast there is between the GEM itself and the part surrounding it which gives most the useful information.
Why are most gems basically the same shape, i can easily tell what Gems are support simply because they have mostly a unique round shape to other gems, why hasn't this been applied to other gems?
Example:

Triangular gems could be Ranged attacks
Square Gems could be Defensive
Rectangular Gems could be Melee

Those are just some quick ideas but i really don't mind the actual shapes, more that they have some kind of Symbolism or shape to help understand what they Are/DO at a glance.

Does anyone else feel this is an issue, or care to share you thoughts on the subject.
Last bumped on Apr 19, 2018, 1:27:06 PM
At least we can use a search term in the stash now, trying to find gems before that was painful.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
I recently learned how to read, so I struggle to view this as a problem.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
highkoo81 wrote:
I just cant seem to wrap my eyes around all the skill gems, i can pretty easily tell the difference between support skills and everything else but thats about it.
Gem icons just look far to similar, an icon is supposed to be a kind of synopsis of what something is/does so that it can be understood at a glance and with repeated use a memorized representation of that thing.
Yes the Gem icons currently in use in POE do have meaningful information, only its obfuscated by how small the details are and how little contrast there is between the GEM itself and the part surrounding it which gives most the useful information.
Why are most gems basically the same shape, i can easily tell what Gems are support simply because they have mostly a unique round shape to other gems, why hasn't this been applied to other gems?
Example:

Those are just some quick ideas but i really don't mind the actual shapes, more that they have some kind of Symbolism or shape to help understand what they Are/DO at a glance.

Does anyone else feel this is an issue, or care to share you thoughts on the subject.

Yes and the hybrid gems should have a duck form......

I think GGG has to work on this before everyone leaves the game, Besteary is ok, nets are GREAT, laggg... we just love it, with a bit of desconnects in between, but the thing i hate is the gem looks.... because i dont want to read.. thats why i never come to forums and never post xD
"
highkoo81 wrote:
Example:

I must say, I'm very impressed you were able to make such a long post despite seemingly being unable to read text.
There's no powercreep here. Creep implies it's slow and could be overlooked, this is a full out sprint.
All gems used to have the same icon - except int based were blue, dex based were green, and red was for strength.

They all had the same icon.

Also - when you died you resurrected in town. SC should be that way again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info