Always get stuck at the same spot every character [help]

I started playing a couple years ago when the game first came out, I just couldn't figure it out so I quit and started playing again in the Vaal expansion because one of my good friends was playing. Every time I play I always get stuck around 70-80 and I can't get past it. I always seem to die way too quick and never do enough damage it seems. I just end up dying more times than I can level, this is the highest I've ever got a character.

I tried buying some items using some tips I've read on other threads like these but it just doesn't work for me. I used up all my currency buying these items and I still can't stay alive or kill things fast enough. Is there something I'm missing? Is it my build? My gear? As much as I play, I just can't figure it out. The big one is that I just have absolutely no clue how people can have so much currency by my level. I sell a few things I find but it's never enough to buy very good items that I think I might need.

Can someone point me in the right direction please? This game seems like so much fun once you get to learn it and after 400 hours (according to steam) I still have no idea what I'm doing!

A few other questions I have

How do you know how much an item is worth?

What is worth actually picking up off the ground and IDing?

How do I actually make the currency I need to buy the items I need to move forward?

What level maps should I be doing this level(78)? I'll 100% die on a tier 5 map

I feel so stuck. Thanks guys.
Last bumped on Apr 20, 2018, 4:46:33 AM
Hey there,

could you unhide your characters in your accounts privacy settings?
So we can check your gear/tree and try to help you out.

Hit the "Home" button on the forum, then "My Account", "Privacy Settings" bottom right and uncheck hide characters.

Cheers
"
Orbaal wrote:
Hey there,

could you unhide your characters in your accounts privacy settings?
So we can check your gear/tree and try to help you out.

Hit the "Home" button on the forum, then "My Account", "Privacy Settings" bottom right and uncheck hide characters.

Cheers

Sorry didn't even know that was a thing! Should be good now.
"
supafiya1989 wrote:

A few other questions I have

How do you know how much an item is worth?

What is worth actually picking up off the ground and IDing?

How do I actually make the currency I need to buy the items I need to move forward?

What level maps should I be doing this level(78)? I'll 100% die on a tier 5 map

1. Use PoE-TradeMacro. With it you can hover an item with Ctrl+D and get quick price evaluation.

2. From rares - nothing from T5 maps. Some top/good bases on 84+ilvl - yes. May be some earlier, but usually it's waste of time.

3. Unid Chaos recipe. Do it all the time. When/if your character can run UberLab - do full runs, should be profitable as well.

4. Always run maximum map tier you can do deathless and relatively fast.
I looked at your trickster...your gems all messed up. You have aleopathy gloves which gives you Blight skill but you have an unlinked Blight gem in your helm. You have ED in your shield essentially unlinked and Contaigon in your chest. ED is going to be your main damage dealer so you want that linked to the most support gems. ED really needs to be in a 6 link to do really good damage I would pick up a Tabula and iuse that until you can afford another 6l chest. Contaigon is used to spread ED to other mobs since ED is single target. You can use Blight to hinder enemies if you have the threshold jewels.

Those are just a couple glaring issues you have going on. i would highly recommend watching a couple ED videos on youtube so you can get a visual of how to play that build. You can also read guides here in the build section. ED Trickster is a popular build so there is plenty of info around

Edit: The most important thing getting your fire, cold and lightning res’s to atleast 75% once you start mapping. It doesn’t look like tou are even close to that probably even in the negative on some.
Last edited by GreasyGinzo on Apr 18, 2018, 4:45:34 PM
I was looking at your trickster and gear should be fine for T5+

5l Blight will do and I guess you are using ED just for a bit more punch to kill bosses quicker.
If so, link at least Decay to it and more support gems, if you can make room.

A 2nd Blight threshold jewel would be best for your buck in terms of damage.

Your res are almost capped, try to cap them and try to get some more life on your helmet and your chest.
If you have good Greed essences, use them on white items :)
Consider dropping 1 mana flask for either a Basalt or Stibnite flask. Both will help to mitigate incoming damage so you need less flasks to handle damage taken like life and mana flasks.
Also I would prefer to run an instant heal life flask, but maybe Trickster recovery is good enough. Doubt it though.

Your build requires a very mobile and close range playstyle, a lot of kiting and positioning.
If you like that, you´ll do well with this kind of build.
"
GreasyGinzo wrote:
I looked at your trickster...your gems all messed up. You have aleopathy gloves which gives you Blight skill but you have an unlinked Blight gem in your helm. You have ED in your shield essentially unlinked and Contaigon in your chest. ED is going to be your main damage dealer so you want that linked to the most support gems. ED really needs to be in a 6 link to do really good damage I would pick up a Tabula and iuse that until you can afford another 6l chest. Contaigon is used to spread ED to other mobs since ED is single target. You can use Blight to hinder enemies if you have the threshold jewels.

Those are just a couple glaring issues you have going on. i would highly recommend watching a couple ED videos on youtube so you can get a visual of how to play that build. You can also read guides here in the build section. ED Trickster is a popular build so there is plenty of info around

Edit: The most important thing getting your fire, cold and lightning res’s to atleast 75% once you start mapping. It doesn’t look like tou are even close to that probably even in the negative on some.

Hi I took your advice and WOW what a difference. I used the tabula and I got all the way to level 81 without dying and got up to some t7 maps. Thanks a lot!

But just for clarification, I didn't use that blight in my helmet I was just keeping it there to level it up. I didn't use ED enough before because I was mostly using contagion and blight as my main skills, and holy moly what a difference it made doing the links like you said and using ED a lot more.

I am pretty close on res actually, I think it's 75% for cold and fire, and 71% on lightning (in maps) but -50 to chaos. Is chaos res important to go after too? I saw someone say before that it's not really that important so I never thought too much about it.

I have very bad jewels atm though I really am unsure of what I'm supposed to be looking for in a jewel. DoT and chaos damage? Maybe life too?

Thanks a ton for the help this actually helped me out quite a bit so now I kind of have a better idea of which direction I'm heading in and mapping feels so much smoother and safer. Not quite a good player yet but I'm getting there.

"
Orbaal wrote:
I was looking at your trickster and gear should be fine for T5+

5l Blight will do and I guess you are using ED just for a bit more punch to kill bosses quicker.
If so, link at least Decay to it and more support gems, if you can make room.

A 2nd Blight threshold jewel would be best for your buck in terms of damage.

Your res are almost capped, try to cap them and try to get some more life on your helmet and your chest.
If you have good Greed essences, use them on white items :)
Consider dropping 1 mana flask for either a Basalt or Stibnite flask. Both will help to mitigate incoming damage so you need less flasks to handle damage taken like life and mana flasks.
Also I would prefer to run an instant heal life flask, but maybe Trickster recovery is good enough. Doubt it though.

Your build requires a very mobile and close range playstyle, a lot of kiting and positioning.
If you like that, you´ll do well with this kind of build.

You are right that is how I was playing, but after taking some of the suggestions above I switched to ED it's much better for me, and a lot safer since I'm essentially playing on a toaster oven. I do prefer the way I was playing, but with this computer it's just not going to work due to lag. I just never thought about playing it with ED as my main source of dmg.

One thing I always wondered when watching the videos of people playing PoE was how come they always have so many buffs?! and I finally thought - do they use their flasks almost 100% of the time when mapping? Is that right or is it something else? I never used flask only when I think I really badly need it.

I'm going to try out your suggestions as well (but keep the ED playstyle) But what do you guys mean by 'Blight threshold jewel'? I think I know but I don't want to misunderstand. Is that the one that's a quest reward from the lookout tower (or whatever it's called, I believe it's the first quest reward jewel you get - possibly the only one?)

"
fwd wrote:

1. Use PoE-TradeMacro. With it you can hover an item with Ctrl+D and get quick price evaluation.

2. From rares - nothing from T5 maps. Some top/good bases on 84+ilvl - yes. May be some earlier, but usually it's waste of time.

3. Unid Chaos recipe. Do it all the time. When/if your character can run UberLab - do full runs, should be profitable as well.

4. Always run maximum map tier you can do deathless and relatively fast.

I got the PoE TradeMacro but it doesn't work with yellow items really, it only really gives me prices on unique items and those still kind of confuse me. Do I use the median or average price to device what to sell for, or judge it based on the search results it provides? I still don't really have a clue how to price yellow items.

----Another thing I thought of asking is how do you know when to pick up a base item or blue item?Am I just looking for the implicit mod to be a perfect roll? does armor/evasion/es come into play?

I took your advice too with the chaos recipe and the max tier I can run and that helped me out a lot too. I never noticed how little amount of rings I got before though!! But thank you for those advice they really helped.

One more thing I wanted to ask is how do I know if I should ID an item or just leave it unid for the chaos recipe?

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it all.

"
supafiya1989 wrote:
But just for clarification, I didn't use that blight in my helmet I was just keeping it there to level it up.

You can level any gem on alternative weapon slot.

"
supafiya1989 wrote:
I am pretty close on res actually, I think it's 75% for cold and fire, and 71% on lightning (in maps) but -50 to chaos. Is chaos res important to go after too?

You shouldn´t care about chaos res now. It´s not so important (especially not on sc).

"
supafiya1989 wrote:

I have very bad jewels atm though I really am unsure of what I'm supposed to be loo king for in a jewel. DoT and chaos damage? Maybe life too?

Chaos damage, spell damage (spell damage while holding shield), damage, DoT, life, resists (if needed)

"
supafiya1989 wrote:

One thing I always wondered when watching the videos of people playing PoE was how come they always have so many buffs?! and I finally thought - do they use their flasks almost 100% of the time when mapping? Is that right or is it something else? I never used flask only when I think I really badly need it.

There are different buffs and auras but you´re right. They are keeping flasks active all the time (utility flasks).

"
supafiya1989 wrote:

I'm going to try out your suggestions as well (but keep the ED playstyle) But what do you guys mean by 'Blight threshold jewel'? I think I know but I don't want to misunderstand. Is that the one that's a quest reward from the lookout tower (or whatever it's called, I believe it's the first quest reward jewel you get - possibly the only one?)

"
supafiya1989 wrote:

----Another thing I thought of asking is how do you know when to pick up a base item or blue item? Am I just looking for the implicit mod to be a perfect roll? does armor/evasion/es come into play?

One more thing I wanted to ask is how do I know if I should ID an item or just leave it unid for the chaos recipe?

I don´t use trade macro so let others to answer.

How to value rare items is one of the most difficult things for new players.

The easiest way should be comparing them to the similar stuff on poe.trade (you need to set right parametre though)

The hardest but the most profitable way (in long run) is knowing possible rolls on items (base items, item level and associated affixes).

Good item filter should highlight the items you might be interested in (don´t use strict filters as newcomer though)

About bases:
You want the best base (not always but for selling mostly) with the highest ilvl (84+)
There are exceptions such as Shaper or Elder base, opal rings, steel rings, marble amulets ... (those might be lower ilvls but price is dropping)
Implicit is only important on normal items (less valuable item, lower ilvls)

I am hording rings ilvl 72+ (coral rings, two stone rings with perfect or close to perfect implicit) and just alch them but that´s what I am doing myself. (ilvl 75+ if need regals)
It depends on stats but I usually use them for chaos recipe, sell or keep them for my chars.

Why ilvl 72+? ilvl 72+ ring can roll 42-45% resists (the second highest resistance roll, next step is ilvl 84!).

There are different strategies about id items but I think new players should id most of the items. You can´t really learn the game without knowing the loot.
Last edited by Rakiii on Apr 19, 2018, 9:02:28 AM
Awesome thank you a bunch. I guess the more time playing the more you understand, so I'll just keep doing that and keep learning. I'm going to try alcing a few rings and see where that gets me. thanks for the tips!!
Do I use the median or average price to device what to sell for, or judge it based on the search results it provides?
Neither, just see top sell offers and set same price. Be careful, with some items price can differ greatly depends on affix rolls. If your item has high/top rolls, use Ctrl-Alt-D in TradeMacro or search manually poe.trade instead for similar items.

Another thing I thought of asking is how do you know when to pick up a base item or blue item?Am I just looking for the implicit mod to be a perfect roll? does armor/evasion/es come into play?
From white items you want opal and steel rings and marble amulets, nothing more. Leather belts if you have a lot of free stash space, you can sell them in bulk to chancers like 5:1c or 7:1c, I don't really know prices rn.

Simple rare items (no shaper/elder ones) are pretty much useless nowadays. Only ID things you really believe in. Like 84+ilvl with good bases (or at least top ilvl where you do farm, if you really want it), or abyssal belts, and so on.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info