MTX

"
vio wrote:

yep. it's basically saying that if the major income shifts to the chinese realm or the game becomes not profitable anymore, they pull the plug on the main realm.

Really? Why would they do that?
If they are smart about it, they would be trying to keep all 3 realms (PC, Xbox, China) in the same state so they can roll out all leagues/patches and whatnot on all 3 realms at the same time - lowering production costs and increasing potential revenue.

Thats the only reasonable goal for a company to go for 3 realms.
If that move triples the maintenance and production costs, you did it wrong from the beginning.

"
vio wrote:

feeding 100+ devs from just selling goodlookingbutuseless mtx to a 300k userbase where around 10% supports is foolish to begin with, some said.

do you think they would have gone into risky joints with those giants tencent and microsoft if the game did make them "rich" already?

Foolish or not - they made it this far.
Thats a fact and some years ago very very few would have imagined PoE could be this successful or could grow at the pace it currently does.
To rephrase your question: Do you think giants like tencent or microsoft would have signed contracts with GGG, if they were convinced GGGs business concept was foolish and cant generate the revenues these guys are looking for?

The real danger isnt coming from companies like tencent or microsoft - but the playerbase.
As a matter of fact the (paying) playerbase is boss, is dictating the direction the development is taking by financially supporting specific design concepts over others.
Assuming this wouldnt affect design decisions is foolish.
And lets be real here: The playerbase (totally including me) is dumb, has no idea whats good or bad for the game and is first and foremost concerned about their own playstyles - not giving a shit about others and complaining all the time about everything.
I mean look at the forum or reddit. If you never played the game, your conclusion might likely be "Oh boy this game seems to suck big time. No one is happy here"

And again: Its these guys (again including me) who are indirectly making design decisions.
Our own stupidity is the biggest thread - not tencent or microsoft or GGGs business model.
"
Orbaal wrote:
[

If they are smart about it, they would be trying to keep all 3 realms (PC, Xbox, China) in the same state so they can roll out all leagues/patches and whatnot on all 3 realms at the same time - lowering production costs and increasing potential revenue.

If that move triples the maintenance and production costs, you did it wrong from the beginning.

i have no insights but poe wouldn't be the first game that tencent bought and ruined with ptw.
your vision of a unified code base would come true if tencent makes them an offer they can't refuse :-(

regarding making suggestions, since most of my sugestions over the years also turned out to be bad eventually i switched to see them from the games point of view, away from a personal one. helps alot.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Orbaal wrote:
Foolish or not - they made it this far.

Past success does not guarantee future success. But let's take a look at the tends with GGG so far...

• "no paying for game content or advantage" -> releases functional stash tabs
  • Refuses to update engine for years -> updates engine & threading to be compatible with XBox
  • Refuse to implement trading in the client -> releases trading in XBox client
  • Claims macros are bannable offenses -> does nothing to popular streamers who use macros
  • Takes a hard PR stance against cheating -> merges Garena users to main realm
    (and still tons of cheating even before this)
  • Takes a hard PR stance against botting -> lets the biggest RMT invest in PoE
    (and still tons of botters even before this)

That only shows that GGG will do whatever it wants regardless of what it promised or stated in the past. That's self-serving. In other words you can't trust any direction they claim to be heading. Now, those changing directions might be good for the game, or they might not be, I'm not trying to debate that point. For me personally, I continue to contribute if I continue to enjoy the game, and that hasn't changed. I'm sure that I'm not alone in that sentiment, which is why they're still making money regardless of how much they're lacking in ethical matters of integrity. Hence there's no guarantee that PoE won't be incinerated in a bad decision or string of bad decisions in the future (if you pardon the double negative).
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Apr 20, 2018, 8:46:07 AM
"
vio wrote:
"
Orbaal wrote:
[

i have no insights but poe wouldn't be the first game that tencent bought and ruined with ptw.
your vision of a unified code base would come true if tencent makes them an offer they can't refuse :-(

Erm no I dont think so.
The company Im working for does the same thing, but for about 11 platforms or realms per game.
Ofc production costs are going up to make it happen, but the additional revenue makes up easily for the increased costs. We had to come up with a production pipeline first and invest into it to make it work, but thats just initial costs to set it up once.
After that, you have to figure out the "no go" things for specific platforms/realms and plan future content around all of those limitations. From that point on, you are making more money for less work if you planned it right.

I would assume GGG is doing the same or at least trying to achieve that for obvious reasons.
Ofc I dont have any sort of insight how hard or easy it is for GGG to make the port to other platforms other than the PC realm happen. Their engine is pretty old - might be an advantage or disadvantage. Impossible to tell.

tl;dr
Cant see any reason why GGG wouldnt go for a unified code base for easier ports to all realms - regardless how hard it might be to set it up once.
"
Orbaal wrote:
"
vio wrote:
"
Orbaal wrote:
[

Erm no I dont think so.
The company Im working for does the same thing, but for about 11 platforms or realms per game.
Ofc production costs are going up to make it happen, but the additional revenue makes up easily for the increased costs. We had to come up with a production pipeline first and invest into it to make it work, but thats just initial costs to set it up once.
After that, you have to figure out the "no go" things for specific platforms/realms and plan future content around all of those limitations. From that point on, you are making more money for less work if you planned it right.

I would assume GGG is doing the same or at least trying to achieve that for obvious reasons.
Ofc I dont have any sort of insight how hard or easy it is for GGG to make the port to other platforms other than the PC realm happen. Their engine is pretty old - might be an advantage or disadvantage. Impossible to tell.

tl;dr
Cant see any reason why GGG wouldnt go for a unified code base for easier ports to all realms - regardless how hard it might be to set it up once.

well ...
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info